Metal halide ballast any good?

  • Thread starter Thread starter reef’r
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reef’r

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2023
Messages
913
Reaction score
534
Location
reef’d
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering for some info on this ballast maybe from @X-37B. I picked it up along side two lumen max elite fixtures. I’m thinking this is a magnetic ballast correct? I know it’s not capable of overdriving a 250w bulb but is it any better than my current reefbreeders ballast?
IMG_9289.jpeg
IMG_9290.jpeg
IMG_9291.jpeg
IMG_9292.jpeg
 
Nice find!

It’s a Sunlight Supply Blue Wave magnetic ballast, pulse start style (not all are). Not HQI so it won’t fire double ended bulbs. Some single ended MH bulbs cannot fire without a pulse start ballast, but those brands may be virtually gone. You can also fire a regular MH bulb on it (like Aquabright / Hamilton). Timer too.

I am old school (like really old school) and still use these things. Long since out of production. I would be interested if you want to get rid of it. I would pay for shipping as that will be twice the cost of the ballast, at least. Heavy thing!
 
Nice find!

It’s a Sunlight Supply Blue Wave magnetic ballast, pulse start style (not all are). Not HQI so it won’t fire double ended bulbs. Some single ended MH bulbs cannot fire without a pulse start ballast, but those brands may be virtually gone. You can also fire a regular MH bulb on it (like Aquabright / Hamilton). Timer too.

I am old school (like really old school) and still use these things. Long since out of production. I would be interested if you want to get rid of it. I would pay for shipping as that will be twice the cost of the ballast, at least. Heavy thing!
I appreciate it. The timer doesn’t work and to be honest I’m not entirely sure the ballast works all that well either, may need a rebuild kit. I’ve only turned it on once and it fired the bulb and then went out… bounced it around a little and it kicked back on. She needs some TLC for sure
 
I appreciate it. The timer doesn’t work and to be honest I’m not entirely sure the ballast works all that well either, may need a rebuild kit. I’ve only turned it on once and it fired the bulb and then went out… bounced it around a little and it kicked back on. She needs some TLC for sure
Oh no! It’s almost impossible to find all the parts. Not sure about the timer, but you may still be able find the capacitor. That is often the problem. Hopefully true for you. The magnetic ballast itself has not been made for years.
 
I stand corrected! I was thinking HQI which are virtually impossible to find. The pulse start and regular 250 watt ballasts you can find, as you know.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new