Metal halide people I have a question?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used any of these? I currently run Phoenix 14k but as we all know when they’re done they’re done.. I have 2 bulbs left when the 3 I’m currently running burn out.. I gotta figure out my options or make new single ended reflectors for radium’s which I’m not opposed too! I have a template for lumenarcs.
That's not good... you come here again to tease us showing off your ability to make those nice Lumenarc reflectors but don't make any for us??! LOL!

The Phoenix is unique in spectrum, nothing like it. I talked to them, in Japan, a while ago and they won't make them anymore... well... that's what Radium also told me, but they went back in production. Nothing is impossible!
The Radium's color was very similar to Hamilton's 20K, so if Aqua Bright Solutions' bulbs are the same, their 20K should be very similar to Radium.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not good... you come here again to tease us showing off your ability to make those nice Lumenarc reflectors but don't make any for us??! LOL!

The Phoenix is unique in spectrum, nothing like it. I talked to them, in Japan, a while ago and they won't make them anymore... well... that's what Radium also told me, but they went back in production. Nothing is impossible!
The Radium's color was very similar to Hamilton's 20K, so if Aqua Bright Solutions' bulbs are the same, their 20K should be very similar to Radium.
I never said I wouldn’t make them.. nobodies ever asked me… :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used any of these? I currently run Phoenix 14k but as we all know when they’re done they’re done.. I have 2 bulbs left when the 3 I’m currently running burn out.. I gotta figure out my options or make new single ended reflectors for radium’s which I’m not opposed too! I have a template for lumenarcs.
I have not used them, but It seems they are of the same as the hammys. I have a stash of the pheonix's and ushio14k's.. tell you what, try them- take/ post comparison pics and/ or measurements. If you(or your acros) hate them, send them to me with a return shipping label and I'll send you 3 pheonix bulbs even Steven. I love these bulbs, but I also love your tank and would gladly do that for it

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aqua Bright Solutions' bulbs are made by the very same manufacturer Hamilton was made. I've used Hamilton's for so many years and never had any problems. Hamilton bulbs should be cheaper than Aqua Bright solutions' because there is no warranty for those Hamilton gear anymore.

A. grandis, take a look at this posting by you just a while back. So I'm gouging at 85 dollars a bulb? But you were setting your new company up with a range of 60 to 100 that you thought was VERY fair, right? But at 85, oh they should buy the company you're backing right? Give me a break.

Screenshot_20240424_202153_Chrome.jpg

A. grandis, if I remember correctly you blew smoke up everyone's rear and guaranteed them that you personally spoke to Dave at Hamilton and they were NOT going out of business. Oh yeah? Guess that info was wrong.

Oh and good ol Dave at Hamilton, flat lied to me and assured me if more than a few things. He even sent me 6 USED bulbs as new. Dave sold me these things saying "Oh we'll ways be here (Hamilton), we're not going out of business, if you have any issues we'll take care of the bulbs, etc.". Oh yeah? Guess I got the cut and run strategy. So glad to know who owns that company, I'll NEVER buy from Aqua Bright.

At any rate, you don't like what I'm selling, don't buy it. But don't come in here spreading a pack of lies to unsuspecting people.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. grandis, take a look at this posting by you just a while back. So I'm gouging at 85 dollars a bulb? But you were setting your new company up with a range of 60 to 100 that you thought was VERY fair, right? But at 85, oh they should buy the company you're backing right? Give me a break.

A. grandis, if I remember correctly you blew smoke up everyone's rear and guaranteed them that you personally spoke to Dave at Hamilton and they were NOT going out of business. Oh yeah? Guess that info was wrong.

Oh and good ol Dave at Hamilton, flat lied to me and assured me if more than a few things. He even sent me 6 USED bulbs as new. Dave sold me these things saying "Oh we'll ways be here (Hamilton), we're not going out of business, if you have any issues we'll take care of the bulbs, etc.". Oh yeah? Guess I got the cut and run strategy. So glad to know who owns that company, I'll NEVER buy from Aqua Bright.

At any rate, you don't like what I'm selling, don't buy it. But don't come in here spreading a pack of lies to unsuspecting people.
FWIW, I'm the one who said you're price gouging

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. grandis, take a look at this posting by you just a while back. So I'm gouging at 85 dollars a bulb? But you were setting your new company
I don't have a company.

up with a range of 60 to 100 that you thought was VERY fair, right?
You are acting weird and taking info out of context to argue with me? Get my last post and try to justify your actions that way. I gave my opinion for you to help others. I was hoping you would agree and perhaps work your prices. I though we were all friends here. Guess not?

But at 85, oh they should buy the company you're backing right? Give me a break.

Out of context! Put the link to that message and people will understand that my words were to compare to LED systems. Shame on you, man. Quality of light from halides as in quality of illumination with a fair price tag in comparison to any LED system. The message quoted above isn't related to Hamilton, but to ANY halide gear, including German bulbs.

I just publish info they give me. I don't work for any company. I don't own any company. I'm here to help people for free. I feel so bad to see you posting this non sense.

You have a sad attitude to say the least. I've been in this forum for more than a decade spending a lot of time to help people to understand how important quality of light is for reef tanks and you come with all this attitude? Your problem with Dave isn't mine, nor anyone else's who's willing to buy anything from you.

What lies, man? Are you kidding me? You are an angry person.
I wish you could rethink your words and attitude and apologize to all of us.
I didn't know you were a very angry person like that.

Let me just tell you that my intentions here are to just help people with info about anything related to halides. Help people and also help you. I'm not your enemy. I have no enemies. If some of the people I argued here are LED users and have accused me to anything aren't my enemies, much less you.
Rethink our posts and apologize. That is the best you can do.

I am seriously thinking about leave this forum forever. I have friends, most LED users, that tells me how much they appreciate the time I spend here with you guys talking halides, but they also tell me to leave all this because of some things they see and it's not worth it. Everything I try to help here, and have learned here, is for the community. I don't need such attitude in my life.
I forgive you for this misunderstanding.
If you think I sent you a message in a malicious way I apologize! I wish no harm to anyone here.

I am getting tired of the arrows here. Not worth it.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a bunch of twists and turns this took..
All I can say is the usual disclaimer on how capitalism works...
A successful transaction is when both the buyer and seller are happy..What the price is is irrelevant.
capitalism.JPG

B is the correct answer..

That said I do understand both sides.. No longer made should be pennies on a dollar and no longer made should be dollars on pennies..
Now to a freshwater guy it is ALL overpriced .

1 Pack 400W MH Grow Light Bulb Indoor,CCT 6000K, 36,000Lumens,E39 Base,400 Watt Metal Halide Grow Lamp,HID Grow Bulb,Plant Growth Bulb for Indoor Horticulture Vegetative Plant Growth $16....LONG LIFETIME: 10000hours lifespan with 1 year warranty​

Or..
Nice 6500k bulb..
Up to about $45 depending where one shops.

Now to go deeper down a rabbit hole.. for years it seems like the "implication" (though never directly confirmed) is Hamilton was a "manufacturer" which as we definitely know now is NOT the case. Just some large Chinese bulb maker.

Now with Hamiltons name gone and the new assumption that they are identical bulbs well that is hardly proven.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt at this point though I'd like to see some spectrums.. Go figure huh.;)
Things like coming from the same factory have ZERO meaning really.
Guess one goes on faith at this point.

Addendum $299.40
Bulb,reflector,ballast.
You got the same problem leds have. nobody "salting" CMH for reef aquaria and nobody phosphoring led for them either.
growlitcmh.JPG

On further review.. how rude..
AVAILABLE WHILE SUPPLIES LAST

Don't let a few narrow minded people cause you to leave.
Pretty sure that's not an issue..:)

Last edited:

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now to go deeper down a rabbit hole.. for years it seems like the "implication" (though never directly confirmed) is Hamilton was a "manufacturer" which as we definitely know now is NOT the case. Just some large Chinese bulb maker.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I thought the Hamilton bulbs were made in Germany?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I thought the Hamilton bulbs were made in Germany?
See that's what I mean..:)
Who knows at one time maybe.
Old "20000k" spectrums show them to be almost identical to Radium's.
Newer spectrums...not so much.

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
See that's what I mean..:)
Who knows at one time maybe.
Old "20000k" spectrums show them to be almost identical to Radium's.
Newer spectrums...not so much.

20240425_115924.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an old or new bulb?
I think we have proven the new " Hamilton" (Aqua Bright Solutions) bulbs (20000k at least) are not made in Germany.

I also suspect those German bulbs were just rebranded Radium's..but makes no difference now. They are gone...

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's an old or new bulb?
I think we have proven the new " Hamilton" (Aqua Bright Solutions) bulbs (20000k at least) are not made in Germany.

I also suspect those German bulbs were just rebranded Radium's..but makes no difference now. They are gone...
It is a old bulb. I'm not sure about the Aqua Brite at all. I'm planning on using Reefbrite bulbs for now after I go through the XM bulbs I have. In your previous post you had 6500k grow bulbs linked. Has anyone used these or similar bulbs over corals? The price difference is attractive.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an old bulb. I'm not sure about the Aqua Brite at all. I'm planning on using Reefbrite bulbs for now after I go through the XM bulbs I have. In your previous post you had 6500k grow bulbs linked. Has anyone used these or similar bulbs over corals? The price difference is attractive.
Can you post pictures of your tank under the XM? I always wanted to try these.

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you post pictures of your tank under the XM? I always wanted to try these.
The tank is still under construction unfortunately. I don't think the XM bulbs are available new anymore. I've seen a couple here and there for sale but they are usually the 20k.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is still under construction unfortunately. I don't think the XM bulbs are available new anymore. I've seen a couple here and there for sale but they are usually the 20k.
Yep, haven’t been produced for years unfortunately.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back