Returning to the hobby - Any LED systems that look like metal halide?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran most. This 18" nano was powered by 2 16hds.
The results had me sell my halides and go full leds on all my systems.
Zero to 10 months.
20220126_162914.jpg
20221010_165536.jpg
20221126_085436.jpg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like super crazy shimmer effect - Kessil is probably the right way to go.

But honestly, I have 2 ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro mounted about 20” above waterline and they produce a very MH like look, or at least compared to how I remember it the last time I’ve seen it (probably about a decade ago).

I run them with a crazy bright intensity (220W/266W per fixture, 440W total over ~3.4ft net), it is brighter than most systems I’ve seen in person (and I’ve seen quite a lot), I also set it up as a full spectrum with a very slight touch of a blue tint to it, just enough for pop but without it being obvious to the naked eye.
It does have a nice shimmer, it isn’t as harsh like MH was, and it does mostly depend on surface turbulence, but I believe you can also mount them way higher (4-5 ft above waterline) and use 60deg reeflectors to get an even more drastic effect.

Just food for thought.

IMG_1228.jpeg

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran most. This 18" nano was powered by 2 16hds.
The results had me sell my halides and go full leds on all my systems.
Zero to 10 months.
20220126_162914.jpg
20221010_165536.jpg
20221126_085436.jpg

Thanks, looks nice! I've noticed everyone has fans on their tanks now. Not something I saw ten years ago. What is that about? Cooling? Doesn't it drastically increase evaporation?

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like super crazy shimmer effect - Kessil is probably the right way to go.

But honestly, I have 2 ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro mounted about 20” above waterline and they produce a very MH like look, or at least compared to how I remember it the last time I’ve seen it (probably about a decade ago).

I run them with a crazy bright intensity (220W/266W per fixture, 440W total over ~3.4ft net), it is brighter than most systems I’ve seen in person (and I’ve seen quite a lot), I also set it up as a full spectrum with a very slight touch of a blue tint to it, just enough for pop but without it being obvious to the naked eye.
It does have a nice shimmer, it isn’t as harsh like MH was, and it does mostly depend on surface turbulence, but I believe you can also mount them way higher (4-5 ft above waterline) and use 60deg reeflectors to get an even more drastic effect.

Just food for thought.

IMG_1228.jpeg

Very nice. I like a more white look myself, as it reminds me of diving mid morning. I'm not a fan of blue tanks outside of early morning and late evening, so I really like the look of yours. I will check out those lights.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, looks nice! I've noticed everyone has fans on their tanks now. Not something I saw ten years ago. What is that about? Cooling? Doesn't it drastically increase evaporation?
Evaporative cooling is very efficient at cooling your tank. And I’ve been running fans over my tanks for nearly 40 years.

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evaporative cooling is very efficient at cooling your tank. And I’ve been running fans over my tanks for nearly 40 years.
Ok thanks. I live in a climate in which cooling is rarely necessary.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Reefi Labs uno 2.0?

You won't get the Halide shimmer on anything but a Halide, so if your hearts set on shimmer, go with what ya know.

If you want a LED however, get the best LED Available right now, The Reefi out preforms everything else available right now due to the sheer wattage they produce, at 270 watts they are 50watt more powerful than any competitor. Plus they cost HALF as much or less than a set of KESSIL lights (overpriced even compared to Radion IMO).

Little data for you to look thru,
1703763036372.png

This Pic below is April (top) to November (bottom) with these Reefi Lights.
1703763315699.png

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Reefi Labs uno 2.0?

You won't get the Halide shimmer on anything but a Halide, so if your hearts set on shimmer, go with what ya know.

If you want a LED however, get the best LED Available right now, The Reefi out preforms everything else available right now due to the sheer wattage they produce, at 270 watts they are 50watt more powerful than any competitor. Plus they cost HALF as much or less than a set of KESSIL lights (overpriced even compared to Radion IMO).

Little data for you to look thru,
1703763036372.png

This Pic below is April (top) to November (bottom) with these Reefi Lights.
1703763315699.png
Have you looked at my reply? Have glance ;)

The sheer amount of power the Uno has actually allows you to mimic the looks of a MH, just by mounting higher than usual and cranking up the wattage

Put it together with a full spectrum, and you’re getting very close to a MH look and feel.

And yeah - I didn’t even mention all the other benefits you mentioned here, it does cost half as much as the competitors, comes with a 3 year warranty and produces a fat wide spectrum like no other light has done before.

But for most, just the sheer amount of possibilities with this light are usually enough to make the call.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly no LEDs will look like metal halides. Ever. It’s just totally different. Even with the all the technology and everything they try to do it’s not even close to the look of the shimmer and brightness of MH.

if you’re seriously pressed for that look, just go MH again. Just be aware that the bulb choices are limited

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at my reply? Have glance ;)

The sheer amount of power the Uno has actually allows you to mimic the looks of a MH, just by mounting higher than usual and cranking up the wattage

Put it together with a full spectrum, and you’re getting very close to a MH look and feel.

And yeah - I didn’t even mention all the other benefits you mentioned here, it does cost half as much as the competitors, comes with a 3 year warranty and produces a fat wide spectrum like no other light has done before.

But for most, just the sheer amount of possibilities with this light are usually enough to make the call.

Yes, I have just started looking at this light and it looks quite nice.

However, I see Noopsyche talking some serious trash about this light, saying the glass is bad and it's only an LPS light and isn't full spectrum. Is this just a competitor talking trash, or are these claims real?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly worried about energy use, poor fixture and bulb options, and heat. Especially over a nano. However I'm starting to reconsider.
If these are the only reasons - you should probably just get MH.

Energy savings would not be as much as you think, and LEDs heat up as well.

Only real concern is long term maintenance, because getting bulbs and ballasts is becoming harder and harder over time.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these are the only reasons - you should probably just get MH.

Energy savings would not be as much as you think, and LEDs heat up as well.

Only real concern is long term maintenance, because getting bulbs and ballasts is becoming harder and harder over time.
Ballasts can be repaired though. I’ve replaced a starter and multiple capacitors on my metal halide ballasts. Works like new.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

However, I see Noopsyche talking some serious trash about this light, saying the glass is bad and it's only an LPS light and isn't full spectrum. Is this just a competitor talking trash, or are these claims real?

Total trash talk. I had one over my 22 gallon nano before moving it to the 90 I moved the 60 my into. It runs next to a ReefBreeders Photon 2 over most of my Gonis which are very happy with it. No vendor should have to trash talk another to win users. Here’s my Gonis right now as well as the lighting set up
IMG_6483.jpeg
IMG_6481.jpeg
IMG_1601.jpeg
IMG_6471.jpeg
IMG_6472.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats a trash talk.
The Uno 2.0 Pro basically won the game, it’s in the price range of the cheaper options, but defeats all high end fixtures as well.

I talk from experience with both the first generation Uno over my main system, as well as the second one over my frag tank - and oh boy how well they grow SPS.

Glass did not break on any of my 5 close-to m-3 years old first gen Unos, nor the 2 close-to m-1 year old second gen Unos - so I’m not sure what they’re talking about.

And the fact that it does use glass is actually a big big difference because it does not filter UVA like plastic does, which is one of the main benefits of running MH - the amount of UVA it produces.

I’m honestly a little surprised anyone tried to go against it, but given that it is a competitor, there’s probably a good reason for that.

You’ve seen my frag tank, now I’ll show my 206g SPS dominant reef tank, spectrum here is more purple/blue unlike the newer generation that actually does have a full spectrum (and the reason why I have another 2 Uno 2.0 pro waiting to be hanged over it).

That last pic is a 40cm in diameter Acropora Florida that I grew under this lights within 2 years from a little frag - so that’s my answer to “grows only LPS” lol

IMG_1899.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1983.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, I read the whole trash rant - that’s total BS.

They trying to say that the fact that the ReeFi uses 4in1 package LEDs is a bad thing - however, it’s actually produces less heat, packs more power and it is the very same technology Kessil uses, only they went extreme with this tech and created their whole LED array within one single package (I.e COB).

It really sounds like they are loosing real money to ReeFi’s growing popularity this past year and trying to sabotage It’s success.

Also it’s a good thing to point out - the ReeFis aren’t in the same category as the Noopsyche, they aren’t considered cheap and are tailored for people that look for really high end results, high build quality in an affordable and reasonable price point.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you ask for mh shimmer and let lighting arguments begin. I use kessils and love em. Will def have to work the surface agitation to get exact look but they look more natural as far as being in the real ocean you can get. And you can dial the color with the knobs to exactly what you want. I would get the spectral control to be honest and you can customize your lighting schedule dusk to dawn with different coloration. As far as growth just look at Reefer Matts insane tank to see what kessils can do. Its a different tank than what you are looking for as its all sps but its sick and the shimmer is awesome.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Noopsyche would be better off never writing another post after reading that nonsense

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That noopsyche post was worse than anything that EcoTech did with their CoralLab nonsense. Any LED company complaining about other fixtures not being full spectrum is just hilarious - like any of them otherside of a few have any real UV or IR outside of the 400-700nm range.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back