Reefi Uno Pro 2.0 or Noopsyche K7 3

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because the actual design of the light is just a generic led block.
270 watts makes it more powerful than any other light that we talk about.
Choices of lenses to eliminate glare or get more spread.
9 channels that can be individually programmed.
Multiple LEDs are arranged in lenses so that the colors blend.
The cooling system: Big heat sink, PID controlled fan, copper vapor tubes.
3 year warranty
1/2 the price of an XR30

What light are you comparing it to?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
270 watts makes it more powerful than any other light that we talk about.
Choices of lenses to eliminate glare or get more spread.
9 channels that can be individually programmed.
Multiple LEDs are arranged in lenses so that the colors blend.
The cooling system: Big heat sink, PID controlled fan, copper vapor tubes.
3 year warranty
1/2 the price of an XR30

What light are you comparing it to?

Thank you for that. I like it when someone answers the question rather than saying go find out yourself lol.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefBreeders Photon 48-V2

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reefi is not even a full spectrum coral light . Can't compare to Noopsyche. Reefi lenses and lamp beads are made of silicone glass and can only withstand high temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius, and the lamp beads are easily burned. Their response to this is to add a very large number of LED diodes to reduce the stress on a single LED diode, which results in lower LED diode utilization. Noopsyche is made of high borosilicate and quartz glass materials and can withstand temperatures above 500 degrees Celsius. LED diodes have high utilization rate, high light extraction efficiency, appropriate quantity, and no need to stack LED diodes. Radion and AI now belong to the same company, but Radion will not burn out the lamp beads like AI because of the use of special materials in the UV position. Therefore, their lamp beads will not change color or even burned over time like AI.
Silicone glass materials have low light extraction efficiency. Only by adding antioxidant powder in the laboratory can the light extraction efficiency reach more than 90, but it cannot be achieved outside the laboratory. The light extraction efficiency of high borosilicate glass and quartz materials is 1.5 to 2.5 times that of silica gel materials. This is why the Par output of Nooppsyche K7 Mini (60w) reaches 1700, while the Par output of some brands of products with the same power is only 700
Aluminum substrates can only withstand 200 degrees Celsius. But Noopsyche uses a copper substrate that can withstand temperatures of up to 400 degrees Celsius. Few brands in the industry use copper substrates, and most brands use aluminum substrates.
In terms of price, 1 Reefi Uno 2.0 pro = 3 Nooppsyche K7 PRO III. If you have a 48-inch tank, one Reefi Uno 2.0 pro is not enough, but three Nooppsyche K7 PRO III are definitely enough.
Reefi uno 2.0 pro is only an LPS light, not a full spectrum light. It has no red spectrum and cannot grow red corals or rarer Australian SPS coral. Noopsyche can grow a wider variety of corals like Australian rare SPS corals and other rare corals. Of course if you don't plan to upgrade to SPS in the future, Reefi is OK. Please know that Noopsyche can support the crazy growth of SPS, and it is even more no problem to grow LPS.

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi lenses and lamp beads are made of silicone glass and can only withstand high temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius,

I'm not sure what silicone glass is, but:
- LEDs are encapsulated in silicone, and often have silicone formed lenses. Pretty sure your emitters do too.
- Peak operating temperatures of the LED junction should be <100C anyway. Absolute maximum Tj is usually around 110-120C. This is at the die, and moves out through the thermal pad or other metal conductors, - the lens material in front of the LED should never be reaching these temperatures unless cooling is insufficient.
stress on a single LED diode, which results in lower LED diode utilization.

Also improves efficiency to not run near maximum LED output, as well as longevity. More is... often better (though it costs more)

Noopsyche is made of high borosilicate and quartz glass materials and can withstand temperatures above 500 degrees

If anything in the fixture is anywhere near 500C you... are actually on fire.

This is why the Par output of Nooppsyche K7 Mini (60w) reaches 1700, while the Par output of some brands of products with the same power is only 700

While glass is a lower loss material, its not going be 2.3x different. This is simply a peak number at one measurement point, and a more focused lens will make that number higher.

More useful would be total radiated energy over a defined area, but no one measures that.

Aluminum substrates can only withstand 200 degrees Celsius. But Noopsyche uses a copper substrate that can withstand temperatures of up to 400 degrees Celsius. Few brands in the industry use copper substrates, and most brands use aluminum substrates.

Yes, because aluminum is cheaper if you're not clustering tons of over-driven LEDs in one small area. The withstand temperature is also meaningless (if the board is at 200C, then the LEDs are above 200C, which with an absolute maximum of 120C means they're broken), thermal conductivity matters, and it only matters that its sufficient for the power density on the board. A spread array would be better off using aluminum.

It has no red spectrum and cannot grow red corals or rarer Australian hard coral species.

I never include any red LEDs in fixtures. At most, a white or PC Amber or Mint. Reds are a waste of space.

Scleractinia is... all hard corals. I realize Australia is a funny place with kangaroos and where everything is upside down, but I'm pretty sure the corals from the region are similar in the sunlight they receive.

I think its worth noting competitors exist and highlight why your product is better, but most of these reasons are nonsensical technobabble.

While I haven't had a ReeFi, I've bought a Noopsyche to experiment with. The real difference is a spread LED array vs a Kessil-Lite focused single lens model. Pros and cons to each, spread vs shimmer.

Also, please stop including Red and Green LEDs if you use whites - you're doubling up useless spectrum. Try something like a Cyan to fill a gap in white or a PC Amber/Mint/Mango (using Lumileds naming) for color correction.

Last edited:

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi is not even a full spectrum coral light . Can't compare to Noopsyche. Reefi lenses and lamp beads are made of silicone glass and can only withstand high temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius, and the lamp beads are easily burned out. Their response to this is to add a very large number of LED diodes to reduce the stress on a single LED diode, which results in lower LED diode utilization. Noopsyche is made of high borosilicate and quartz glass materials and can withstand temperatures above 500 degrees Celsius. LED diodes have high utilization rate, high light extraction efficiency, appropriate quantity, and no need to stack LED diodes. Radion and AI now belong to the same company, but Radion will not burn out the lamp beads like AI because of the use of special materials in the UV position. Therefore, their lamp beads will not change color or even burn out over time like AI.
Silicone glass materials have low light extraction efficiency. Only by adding antioxidant powder in the laboratory can the light extraction efficiency reach more than 90, but it cannot be achieved outside the laboratory. The light extraction efficiency of high borosilicate glass and quartz materials is 1.5 to 2.5 times that of silica gel materials. This is why the Par output of Nooppsyche K7 Mini (60w) reaches 1700, while the Par output of some brands of products with the same power is only 700
In terms of price, 1 Reefi Uno 2.0 pro = 3 Nooppsyche K7 PRO III. If you have a 48-inch tank, one Reefi Uno 2.0 pro is not enough, but three Nooppsyche K7 PRO III are definitely enough.
Reefi uno 2.0 pro is only an LPS light, not a full spectrum light. It has no red spectrum and cannot grow red corals or rarer Australian SPS coral. Noopsyche can grow a wider variety of corals like Australian rare SPS corals and other rare corals. Of course if you don't plan to upgrade to SPS in the future, Reefi is OK. Please know that Noopsyche can support the crazy growth of SPS, and it is even more no problem to grow LPS.
Smh...

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200923_231313-768x549.jpg

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi is not even a full spectrum coral light . Can't compare to Noopsyche. Reefi lenses and lamp beads are made of silicone glass and can only withstand high temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius, and the lamp beads are easily burned. Their response to this is to add a very large number of LED diodes to reduce the stress on a single LED diode, which results in lower LED diode utilization. Noopsyche is made of high borosilicate and quartz glass materials and can withstand temperatures above 500 degrees Celsius. LED diodes have high utilization rate, high light extraction efficiency, appropriate quantity, and no need to stack LED diodes. Radion and AI now belong to the same company, but Radion will not burn out the lamp beads like AI because of the use of special materials in the UV position. Therefore, their lamp beads will not change color or even burned over time like AI.
Someone missed their dose of reality this week..

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure what silicone glass is, but:
- LEDs are encapsulated in silicone, and often have silicone formed lenses. Pretty sure your emitters do too.
- Peak operating temperatures of the LED junction should be <100C anyway. Absolute maximum Tj is usually around 110-120C. This is at the die, and moves out through the thermal pad or other metal conductors, - the lens material in front of the LED should never be reaching these temperatures unless cooling is insufficient.

Also improves efficiency to not run near maximum LED output, as well as longevity. More is... often better (though it costs more)

If anything in the fixture is anywhere near 500C you... are actually on fire.

While glass is a lower loss material, its not going be 2.3x different. This is simply a peak number at one measurement point, and a more focused lens will make that number higher.

More useful would be total radiated energy over a defined area, but no one measures that.

Yes, because aluminum is cheaper if you're not clustering tons of over-driven LEDs in one small area. The withstand temperature is also meaningless (if the board is at 200C, then the LEDs are above 200C, which with an absolute maximum of 120C means they're broken), thermal conductivity matters, and it only matters that its sufficient for the power density on the board. A spread array would be better off using aluminum.

I never include any red LEDs in fixtures. At most, a white or PC Amber or Mint. Reds are a waste of space.

Scleractinia is... all hard corals. I realize Australia is a funny place with kangaroos and where everything is upside down, but I'm pretty sure the corals from the region are similar in the sunlight they receive.

I think its worth noting competitors exist and highlight why your product is better, but most of these reasons are nonsensical technobabble.

While I haven't had a ReeFi, I've bought a Noopsyche to experiment with. The real difference is a spread LED array vs a Kessil-Lite focused single lens model. Pros and cons to each, spread vs shimmer.

Also, please stop including Red and Green LEDs if you use whites - you're doubling up useless spectrum. Try something like a Cyan to fill a gap in white or a PC Amber/Mint/Mango (using Lumileds naming) for color correction.
Yes sure LEDs are encapsulated in silicone. but the UV-A surface temperature will exceed 200 degrees Celsius. so we dont use silicone lenses and use quartz material which can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees Celsius. High temperature resistance is definitely a good thing for long-term use.. And please know that the UV-A surface temperature usually exceed 200 degrees Celsius, if still use siliconein, it will become vague, yellow or black, even scorched within a year. There are already a lot of brands that have experienced such failures. (you can go to Learn about the UV curing adhesive technology)

Under the same conditions, the data of K7 Mini and Kessil A360x are 1700 and 700, about 2.4 times. They both are spotlight type lens. Seems I remembered wrongly. the K7 Mini is 60 watt, and A360x is 90 watt.
Since this post is about Reefi VS Noopsyche, anyone who is interested can actually test their Par output comparison for themselves.

The radiator of Reefi is a good radiator, but the aluminum base plate of Reefi cannot transfer heat to the radiator as efficiently as the copper base plate. there is an insulating layer in between, this will prevent heat from being transferred more efficiently.
So they can only use more UVs to reduce the load of a single UV More does not mean better, it just means more lamp beads may become vague yellow or black, even scorched.
And we use Senju solder paste. you can find out what brand of solder paste Reefi uses.

1694779856673.png

Last edited:

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The radiator of Reefi is a good radiator, but the aluminum base plate of Reefi cannot transfer heat to the radiator as efficiently as the copper base plate. there is an insulating layer in between, this will prevent heat from being transferred more efficiently.
  • Using the latest 2 layer copper core PCB technology with Direct Thermal Paths, which eliminates the dielectric layer between the LEDs and the PCB’s base metal, so that the LEDs are directly in contact with PCB’s base metal. This allows heat transfer rate to the heatsink of over 385 W/m*K vs the traditional 1-3 W/m*K with laminated dielectric layer in between.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Using the latest 2 layer copper core PCB technology with Direct Thermal Paths, which eliminates the dielectric layer between the LEDs and the PCB’s base metal, so that the LEDs are directly in contact with PCB’s base metal. This allows heat transfer rate to the heatsink of over 385 W/m*K vs the traditional 1-3 W/m*K with laminated dielectric layer in between.
But the “silicone glass tho”… :face-with-rolling-eyes:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No I don't work for Reefi...
Not the pro 2
Besides the iron free glass (nice touch) there are no secondary lenses, only reflectors and the native lenses of the diodes,

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's too bad we can't get a rep here for Reefi to provide their argument. This is fun.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a serious note, I'm a fan of budget quality lights (yes, I don't belive budget and quality are mutually exclusive). I've had high praise for both of these fixtures. The difference for me is power/cost. The reefi, for as much power as it provides is definitely a heck of a relatively budget fixture. The Noop is what I would recommend to most users purely because of cost and capability. Unless you need/want 1000 par on the sand, I see no real reason to choose a Reefi over a Noop for the typical user.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reefi is not a sponsor here, so that may be why he does not respond. It does say on the site that they use Cree and Lumileds, but there is no white sheets available about encapsulate of the 400 nm LEDs... So unless Noop has some inside info about the competitors diodes why would we assume that it does not use the appropriate material?

Not a good look for Noopsyche. Making blatantly false claims about other brands, Bad mouthing other brands and fear marketing ("If you buy that you will regret it!") are all signs of a desperate situation.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back