Reefi, Noopsyche or other for 48” Waterbox?

jakebarrierreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, planning stage for a LPS and SPS mixed reef in a 80gallon Waterbox 4820 peninsula. Tank is about 48x20x21

Would x2 Reefi Unos or x2-3 Noopsyche K7 Pro III be a good fit?

What I’m looking for:
- Color and power controllability (LED)
- Plenty of output for SPS
- reduced shading throughout the tank
- Aestheticslly slim, minimal hanging setup

AI blades may hit my last point better but reviews are mixed on those. I’ve also seen T5 combo units which I’m thinking I could add down the road.

I appreciate your help!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into the reefi and really like them. I'm in the process of moving tanks but after thinking things over I couldn't justify the expense since I already have 6 noopsyche k7 pro III lights. The noopsyche have been over my 6ft 180 gallon tank for a little over a year. The tank has never looked better. I'm able to get 300 par on the bottom so my clams are happy. The only thing I dislike about the noopsyche is the puck style lighting with lens that extends below the light. There is a lot of light spill. Mine are in a canopy so it is not an issue. The new tank will not have a canopy so I am going to have to add shades. I'm not thrilled about the look of the shades but it's that or $3k for new lights :thinking-face: lf light spill isn't a concern the noopsyche are very good lights for the price. The reefi lights design looks similar to my reefbreeders photons in that they use a panel type lighting vs pucks. I really like the photons and they have no obnoxious light spill like the noopsyche.

OP
OP
J

jakebarrierreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into the reefi and really like them. I'm in the process of moving tanks but after thinking things over I couldn't justify the expense since I already have 6 noopsyche k7 pro III lights. The noopsyche have been over my 6ft 180 gallon tank for a little over a year. The tank has never looked better. I'm able to get 300 par on the bottom so my clams are happy. The only thing I dislike about the noopsyche is the puck style lighting with lens that extends below the light. There is a lot of light spill. Mine are in a canopy so it is not an issue. The new tank will not have a canopy so I am going to have to add shades. I'm not thrilled about the look of the shades but it's that or $3k for new lights :thinking-face: lf light spill isn't a concern the noopsyche are very good lights for the price. The reefi lights design looks similar to my reefbreeders photons in that they use a panel type lighting vs pucks. I really like the photons and they have no obnoxious light spill like the noopsyche.
Thanks for this feedback!

I do think I should be concerned about light spill. This tank will be in my home office only a few feet from my desk. Lights will be somewhere around 65-75” high mounted so glare could be annoying as I’m seated.

Perhaps I could build a slimline floating hood that I could recess lights into. Could act as a light shield and hide clutter.

As far as coverage, how many K7’s would you suggest for my shorter, narrower tank?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do sps or clams I would say 2 at least but personally at $200 each I would just add 3 and be done. This is just a quick snap shot from a moment ago. Glass is dirty but you can see they are capable of growing a variety of coral clams and nems.
PXL_20240218_162952946~2.jpg

EDIT :not sure why the image looks OOF looks fine before uploading :thinking-face:

Last edited:

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 K7 v3s over my WB 110.4. I like the lights, but the pucks coming down bleed a lot of extra light, and tough on the eyes. They really should be in a canopy or have a shade of diffusors.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a photon 48 would be ideal. I love mine. Slim, one cord, comes with hanging kit and tank mount, great spectrum, plenty of par

OP
OP
J

jakebarrierreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a photon 48 would be ideal. I love mine. Slim, one cord, comes with hanging kit and tank mount, great spectrum, plenty of par
Good alternative input. The Par chart I see on BRS shows the Photon 48 V2 should have no problem with SPS. I like the distributed leds for (hopefully) less shading than 2 distinct puck lights.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is a par monster, you can grow anything anywhere in the tank if you turn it up.

Battle corals uses photons with 100% on all channels mounted on the ceiling of their facility…and they grow/sell some of the nicest sps on the market

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back