Reefi Uno Pro 2.0 vs Ecotech Radion G4/G5 (Budget)

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one would need 1.5 to 2 Uno Pro V2's to mimic the spread of a Radion XR 30 then where is the savings? The price is virtually the same. Now if 1 would do the trick then we're talking about savings but from reading about it here it doesn't seem like that's the case.

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a light system that's 2 years old now...I was just looking into these Uno Pro V2"s and seeing what would be required for a 215 gal SPS dominated tank, (72"Lx24"Dx28"H).

My current lighting system is three x Orphek Icons sandwiched by one 60" Orphek OR3 blue plus and one 60" Orphek OR3 reef day in the front and the same pair in the back, (total of four OR3 bars).

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now you can get 4 K7 PRO III around $700. In terms of price,1 Radion XR30 G6 = 5 Noopsyche K7 PRO III, 1 Reefi Uno 2.0 = 2.5 Noopsyche K7 PRO III. If you have a 48-inch long reef tank, 1 Radion XR30 G6 is not enough, but 5 Noopsyche K7 PRO III are definitely enough. And full spectrum lights are better than LPS lights. You won't be worried by not having a red spectrum if one day you own rare SPS

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions have 110 degree reflectors on the g5 and 126 degree on the g6. Reefi comes with 90 degree reflectors installed but also comes with 120 degree reflectors you can swap out. Spread solved.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is the PAR adequate to sustain SPS?
Just looking at watts (power), an XR30 is 215 watts vs 270 watts for an Uno 2.0.

You can also remove the reflectors altogether for a 160 degree spread

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Radions have 110 degree reflectors on the g5 and 126 degree on the g6. Reefi comes with 90 degree reflectors installed but also comes with 120 degree reflectors you can swap out. Spread solved.
However that does not solve the issue of having a smaller panel size. A smaller panel will ultimately cause more shadows.

In my experience for acropora, the best LED lights are bigger panels or multiple of the smaller panels covering the whole area. That’s why reef breeders photon works really well for acropora.

I can still buy multiple reefi and spread them in two rows to cover the front to back width. At that point it is equally as expensive as using XR15s.

On the other hand, I would totally agree that reefi makes sense for an LPS or softie tanks. Shading is not much of an issue there.

Last edited:

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However that does not solve the issue of having a smaller panel size. A smaller panel will ultimately cause more shadows.

In my experience for acropora, the best LED lights are bigger panels or multiple of the smaller panels covering the whole area. That’s why reef breeders photon works really well for acropora.

I can still buy multiple reefi and spread them in two rows to cover the front to back width. At that point it is equally as expensive as using XR15s.

On the other hand, I would totally agree that reefi makes sense for an LPS or softie tanks. Shading is not much of an issue there.
I see no issues with reefi for acros, I get shading no matter the light source when they get big enough. I have tried every light and reefi are definitely one of the best for spectrum, par, spread. I put 4 over my 180 compared to an install of 3 xr 30 over 180. Better par, better spread and cheaper. The xr15 don’t have near the punch of a reefi.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I see no issues with reefi for acros, I get shading no matter the light source when they get big enough. I have tried every light and reefi are definitely one of the best for spectrum, par, spread. I put 4 over my 180 compared to an install of 3 xr 30 over 180. Better par, better spread and cheaper. The xr15 don’t have near the punch of a reefi.
I saw some pictures of your acro colonies on frag tiles. Impressive! Are they under reefi as well?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also this thing called too much light and marketing. Something to think about.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some pictures of your acro colonies on frag tiles. Impressive! Are they under reefi as well?
Thank you, I appreciate that!!! They were under hydras on one tank and orphek on the other. I previously used halides/t5 on my old display tank. I have setup a customer tank with radions gen 5 and 1 with reef breeders, both acropora.
Currently I have 40 acros growing out under my reefi. All doing excellent

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back