Metal Halide vs. T5

chefmike

Cooking with corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...looking for some opinions on these two lighting systems.

I am currently working on setting up a 100 gallon AGA...48x24x24

Plans are for a mixed reef with an emphasis on SPS corals. My original thoughts were for a dual 250W MH system but after doing some extensive reading I am not so sure.

Definitely would like the lower energy costs, heat, etc with the T5's but I am concerned about maintaining and developing coloration in the corals. I plan on having an open top system either using a cable system to suspend the lighting or using the feet that come with most of these systems to sit on the edge of the tank.

Any ideas, opinions would be very welcome.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely grow colorful SPS with T5s. In fact I know of some commercial operations that use T5s. Their PAR rating is much higher, meaning you get more bang per watt. The bulbs are available in a wide range of color temps, just like MH lights, and that's one of the most important factors to maintaining color. The only real drawback to T5 is aesthetics. You don't get the shimmering that you do with MH. There has been some debate as to whether this shimmering is beneficial to corals as it occurs in nature, but there is no conclusive evidence either way. Some people opt to use a MH bulb to get the shimmer, but do the majority of the lighting with T5. It's really up to what look you want at that point.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both on different tanks (less than a year). I can say that the SPS have colored up nicely (they had browned out under 175W 14K Iwasakis and VHO's). The color is very pastelish, but nice on the eyes. For the bulb cost savings, electrical savings (AC and heat from the tank), you almost can't beat T5's. I'm not sure I'll ever drop the MH's from the SPS display (like the glimmer and it's just a different look), but will likely swap most of my other tanks to T5's at some point. Don;t expect to get a good system cheap. Personally, I'd go with at least something along the lines of a 6 bulb Tek setup for a 90 (probably 8 bulbs). It might be overkill for what you are doing, but you can always use fewer bulbs;).

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ton's of threads here on T5, I use them and won't go back to halides. (Unless I get a very WIDE tank, where it would be cheaper to run halides, example 48x48x24.)

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently switched to T5 from MH.. I was running MH's for years on my 90g and keeping my water cool was a constant battle.

I upgraded to a 120g Tech & decided to buy new lights as well- I went with an ATI powermodule & have been really surprised with the results..
My growth is just as good if not better, chiller runs 1/2 as much, color is beautiful-..

T5's have really come along way in the last year- And we have learned how to extend bulb life & maximized Par.

ex-
Overdriving your bulbs will increase par *but* cut bulb-life in half. This is prevented by active cooling- Ducting airflow to the endcaps & keeping them under 100 F will increase Par and extend bulb life..

Shimmer is over-rated.. Although, if it really matters you can- Add some LED's (Powerbrite modules work well) or create alot of surface agitation (Which will oxygenate your water as well)..
I have 2x6101 Tunze's so I am getting a nice shimmer from all the waves they create.

A 6 bulb Icecap T5 retro would work well for sps/lps.. Another option is to go with a Powermodule (like me) if you want a fixture..

Chong

The Chronic Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. WOW!!!!! That is an amazing looking frag tank setup

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is important for better looking coral and fish. With MH's you will see colors that T-5's wont bring out in fish and coral and over all happier healthier coral(fish care less about lighting).
A good T-5 setup in a mixed tank would be just fine and with a lower utility bill. But a T-5 -MH combo light would give the best of both worlds.
But SPS and other coral would perfer good water flow over higher lighting.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is important for better looking coral and fish. With MH's you will see colors that T-5's wont bring out in fish and coral and over all happier healthier coral(fish care less about lighting).
A good T-5 setup in a mixed tank would be just fine and with a lower utility bill. But a T-5 -MH combo light would give the best of both worlds.

What are you basing this on? I have excellent growth AND color under just T5. I switched from MH to T5 last summer, and couldn't be happier!

Chong

The Chronic Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you basing this on? I have excellent growth AND color under just T5. I switched from MH to T5 last summer, and couldn't be happier!

Do u have the same color intensity by using T5's as when u had MH?

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose both so that I would not have to chose and constantly wonder if one is better then the other....

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started playing with T5s about three months ago. I really didn’t think I was going to like them but the longer I have them the more I do. Some zoas seem to like the bulbs I have more than others but overall I think I get better color than with my MH.

They putout way more light than I expected. So much so that I have moved my 4 bulb setup (2 actinic 2 10K)over one of my 100g Rubbermaid tanks about 2 and a half feet up. The tank has zoas leathers and a few SPS. When I had the light lower to the tank Some of the coral was acting like they were getting too much light. After a month with the lights up higher everything looks great. Even a green leather that is now at least 4 feet from the lights

I think it probable has more to do with the reflectors on the T5s but I took readings with my lux meter at one foot and then two. My MH and PC dropped by two thirds from one foot to two but my T5s only dropped by half. So in a deeper tank this would be a lot of help it also would mean the bulbs don’t really need to be so close together.

I also found that my actinic T5s are as bright as my actinic VHOs. I only have actinic VHOs as supplemental actinic for MH or I would see If T5s really are comparable to VHOs.

I have moved a few SPS under T5s and they seem to be holding the same color( mostly montiporas ). I think it may just be a question of getting the right bulbs. There are a lot of bulbs to choose from but I really think there is a combo of T5s that will get coral to grow just as well and probable better than MH.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have the same color intensity by using T5's as when u had MH?

Yes.

In some cases color is BETTER. I actually bleached a couple corals switching to T5, a Stylo that was high in the tank between 2 halides almost croaked under T5 as it was getting WAY to much light. That stylo was moved to the sandbed for a few months, and it is much happier now. I moved it up about 4" a week ago, and so far so good.

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to disagree with this statement- As a recent MH-->T5 convert I think T5 has better color & growth than my old MH fixture.. MH's are have a hard time producing light in the blue spectrum- This is where T5's excel, the color temp I like..

My Fish & Coral are more "happy" with the T5's.. My wallet is even happier...

I agree w/the last statement about water flow- This is more important than people realize, as is good water quality & husbandry..

VanGogh121

Melba Toast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Wide tank 48x30x24... Have (2) 250 Phoenix's and 6 T5's all T5's are Actinic or Actinic +. I love the color and growth. Just don't have the Cahones to go all T5's.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an 8 foot tank right now i have 2 250 mh and 4 t 5s on each side, i have a 4 foot t5 fixture coming im goin all t5 on one side and mh on the other.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Wide tank 48x30x24... Have (2) 250 Phoenix's and 6 T5's all T5's are Actinic or Actinic +. I love the color and growth. Just don't have the Cahones to go all T5's.

I was nervous too Rich.... It all worked out though, and I really like the reduced wattage.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

masterkush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never use t5 just for the lack of shimmer and for the flat look.Radiums over here.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i do agree that T-5 lighting can be just fine. I use an 8 x 54 T-5 strip with great results. MH lighting gives you that little edge.
In fact you can get great results with high watt PC lighting. Lighting alone isnt enough though. Lighting is just another tool used for coral health.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back