Metal stands are rusting. How much time do I have?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks, stands, and sumps composing a 300G system all connected together. Two of the three are the old Deep Blue 80G 24" X 48" X 16" tall and the default stands that came with them. One is 3 yrs old, the other is 4.5 years old. The other tank is just a 40G breeder with a different stand that is spotless. If one fails, they are all gone as they are connected.

I know this is subjective even with some decent pictures, but if I have $5k in replacement value of acropora plus another $500 in fish in here, how urgent is this in your mind?

I have had a discussion with a custom builder for a big raceway system and a big long sump underneath but there is a long lead time and then there is my own time.

Frightened? Or calm?

IMG-4854.jpg IMG-4845.jpg IMG-4846.jpg IMG-4847.jpg IMG-4848.jpg IMG-4849.jpg IMG-4850.jpg IMG-4851.jpg IMG-4852.jpg IMG-4853.jpg

saltkreep88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would be quite concerned, looks like it is a only supported by small spot welds which are rusted. Like you said could fail today or in 2 years but I would start breaking this tank down personally.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work as a design engineer for a steel fabrication shop, and I agree that this is probably more superficial than true structural issues. I also thought they were only small tack welds initially, but that does not appear to be the case upon closer inspection. With full welds on inside edges along bottom and back of each leg top joint, the rust appears to be nowhere near enough for joint failure. I do not know why the original manufacturer did not weld the outside edges or all the way around, though, especially since the welds are much stronger along a tube length rather than perpendicular to the side of the tube.

Now, this is not my stand or tank and inhabitants at risk, so maybe you want to ensure it does not fail. I cannot really give advice on how much risk you are willing to take...

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree it’s superficial. You’ve got time. Can extend even further by using a rust converter/primer like Gemplers. Light sanding, apply and rust turns into a black primer. Could even then apply a black semigloss over to ward off further rust. Used it on my QT. Worked great.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My metal stand is probably at least as rusty maybe more. I never really thought it was much to be concerned about. Now that I'm reading this I'll at least take a closer look at mine, but I will say I've never heard of one of these style of stands failing. I've had my tank on mine since 2006...

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for contributing. I will buy some time with Gempler's and keep my conversation with Glass Cages going with the raceway. I appreciate the added peace of mind that I am not teetering on the edge of failure.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be in the calm camp. If you have an awl, or something similar, you could probe the rust spots to test depth. My guess is they’re likely superficial.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised the top doesn't sit over the legs so that weight doesn't lie on welds....
I'd reinforce it by having new legs welded and replace the stand.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I had some spot rust on my metal stand. I had a painter look at it and he recommended por-15. I did the whole stand and it's really a good paint. But I did it in the summer and the tank took a few days to dry and it's really smelly. But the key was the prep. The second prep was a rust converter which I think was zinc. You need a top coat over the por-15, and I used their black gloss and it's been good so far. I went ahead and did my steel railings for the house while I was at it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back