methods of shipping corals

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kraylen was asking me how I wanted some stuff shipped and I spouted my opinion on some shipping methods and I thought I'd open it up to a larger discussion.

I see these main methods of shipping coral.

Bag
The coral is placed in a poly bag with water and some air. The bag is then "sealed" via many methods of rubber bands, knots, staples, etc..

Bag with frag in corner of baggie
The coral is placed in the cut off corner of a sandwich bag and then placed in a poly bag with water and some air. The bag is then "sealed" via many methods of rubber bands, knots, staples, etc.. The thought process is that the baggie helps the frag from getting knocked around

Bag with frag attached to foam with a rubberband
The coral is secured to a piece of foam and then floated inside the poly bag. The bag is then "sealed" via many methods of rubber bands, knots, staples, etc.. The thought process is that the foam keeps the frag from hitting the sides of the bag.

Cup (Urine cup or other)
The frag is placed in a plastic specimen cup, filled with water and then sealed off with it's cap. This is one of the newer methods of shipping frags.

Cup with frag in corner of baggie
The frag is placed the corner of a cut off sandwich baggie and then placed in a plastic specimen cup, filled with water and then sealed off with it's cap.

Cup with frag glued to lid
The frag is glued to the lid of the cup. The cup is filled with water and then closed. The cup is then shipped upside down.

I'd like to discuss what everyone thinks the pros and cons to each method are.

I don't like the methods that put the frag inside the corner of a baggie. When corals are shipped they expel waste, toxins, slime, etc.. You're essentially locking the frag away from the little water it has and leaving it to sit in it's waste.

I prefer two methods from above. First, the simple frag in a ploy bag with water. The twist is I have been experimenting with adding a pinch of carbon to each bag. The carbon must be rinsed very well so that it doesn't leach dust to the water. The carbon in theory should help pull out the toxins in the water. Second is the specimen cup with the frag glued to the lid. The frag is well protected with the harder cup and won't bounce around being glued. The problem with specimen cups is they are limited by size.

Thoughts?

waxy

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the poly bag and rubberbands, cheapest method and most reliable.

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also prefer the bag and rubberband method(i also tape the top of the bag), but i also love the specimen cups. I really like the whole carbon in the bag idea, how have the results been with that? It seems like a great idea.

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not ship much, but have had good success with the clear deli containers, attaching the frag to styrofoam with a rubberband and having the frag float upside down. Then, I put the group of deli contatiners inside a large poly bag that I tie tight. The bag helps contain any water that might leak (usually not an issue) and also helps to keep the deli containers stable / stacked on top of one another inside the cooler. This seems to work especially well for me when shipping longer frags of corals like torch, hammer, frogspawn, candy cane, etc.

Some of the corals that I have received that had the least issues shipping came in the plastic urine jars / specimen containers (not glued to the lid or floating upside down). I had one person heat seal each frag in the food saver / vaccuum sealed bags (without actually vaccuum sealing the bag around the coral of course), which worked great I thought.

The small GladWare containers are pretty popular here locally, and everyone I've talked to that uses them has had really good success using them.

While it's great to see a discussion about what works, I feel the need to point out something that doesn't work well at all, yet too many people continue to pack frags in them -- ziplock bags. Corals inside ziplock bags do not ship well, or at least I've yet to receive one inside a ziplock bag that I was satisfied with. Each time I've received corals in ziplock bags, there's always a substantial amount of water that has leaked out of the bags, sometimes soaking the box and potentially compromising the entire shipment (a wet box is more easily damaged). Another thing to keep in mind regarding this is that the employees of the shipping company in many cases have no idea what is in a particular box, so if the box becomes wet or is leaking, I would not count on them automatically assuming it is safe. There was one time that so much water leaked and soaked the box that when the shipping company employee went to get it for me, she came out wearing gloves and was carrying the box inside a plastic tote.

Last edited:

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No concerns about carbon causing abrasions during transit?
There are some obvious variables to be considered. Shipping shrooms, zoas, frogs and acros for example are very different in their requirements. Delicate branches and soft, vulnerable tissue require some kind of system to hold the frag in place to prevent damage. Shrooms, zoas (except individual ones) and other softies can basically roll all around the bag/container without any concern.

OP
OP
agent462

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole idea of this was to get everyone Pro's and Con's of each. I wanted to do it in the main thread but it was 2am and I was getting tired.

I also prefer the bag and rubberband method(i also tape the top of the bag), but i also love the specimen cups. I really like the whole carbon in the bag idea, how have the results been with that? It seems like a great idea.
The results have been good so far. I'd like to see more people try it.

I do not ship much, but have had good success with the clear deli containers, attaching the frag to styrofoam with a rubberband and having the frag float upside down. Then, I put the group of deli contatiners inside a large poly bag that I tie tight. The bag helps contain any water that might leak (usually not an issue) and also helps to keep the deli containers stable / stacked on top of one another inside the cooler. This seems to work especially well for me when shipping longer frags of corals like torch, hammer, frogspawn, candy cane, etc.

Some of the corals that I have received that had the least issues shipping came in the plastic urine jars / specimen containers (not glued to the lid or floating upside down). I had one person heat seal each frag in the food saver / vaccuum sealed bags (without actually vaccuum sealing the bag around the coral of course), which worked great I thought.

The small GladWare containers are pretty popular here locally, and everyone I've talked to that uses them has had really good success using them.

While it's great to see a discussion about what works, I feel the need to point out something that doesn't work well at all, yet too many people continue to pack frags in them -- ziplock bags. Corals inside ziplock bags do not ship well, or at least I've yet to receive one inside a ziplock bag that I was satisfied with. Each time I've received corals in ziplock bags, there's always a substantial amount of water that has leaked out of the bags, sometimes soaking the box and potentially compromising the entire shipment (a wet box is more easily damaged). Another thing to keep in mind regarding this is that the employees of the shipping company in many cases have no idea what is in a particular box, so if the box becomes wet or is leaking, I would not count on them automatically assuming it is safe. There was one time that so much water leaked and soaked the box that when the shipping company employee went to get it for me, she came out wearing gloves and was carrying the box inside a plastic tote.
I've had poor success with people shipping things to me rubber banded to styro. I think 75% of the time the frag is laying in the bottom of the bag.

Agreed, Ziplock shipping is a terrible idea. Maybe for a local trade handoff...but don't ever ship me anything in Ziplock.

No concerns about carbon causing abrasions during transit?
There are some obvious variables to be considered. Shipping shrooms, zoas, frogs and acros for example are very different in their requirements. Delicate branches and soft, vulnerable tissue require some kind of system to hold the frag in place to prevent damage. Shrooms, zoas (except individual ones) and other softies can basically roll all around the bag/container without any concern.
None yet. I would say Carbon would be less abrasive than any sand residual that would fall off the frag. I agree softies can be shipped in pretty much anything but they would benefit from some carbon :) as they are toxin and mucus expellers usually.

You could also wrap the carbon is something like cheesecloth if concerned.

Last edited:

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had poor success with people shipping things to me rubber banded to styro. I think 75% of the time the frag is laying in the bottom of the bag.

Agreed, Ziplock shipping is a terrible idea. Maybe for a local trade handoff...but don't ever ship me anything in Ziplock.

I have not had any issues with receiving corals rubberbanded to a styro piece and floating.

Question, are you suppose to put water in the ziploc bag as well with the frag and styro chunk??? Today I shipped some corals with this method and I guess we'll see how they make the trip ;)

I

inactive

View Badges
I packed up 5023409583409 corals today and poly bags/rubberband/water/air/pinch o carbon/2/3x bagged etc/seal air insulation box

My forearms are so ripped right now from tying bags... fingers are all buff too.. I would tear up some full contact rock/paper/skizzers/

OP
OP
agent462

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any issues with receiving corals rubberbanded to a styro piece and floating.

Question, are you suppose to put water in the ziploc bag as well with the frag and styro chunk??? Today I shipped some corals with this method and I guess we'll see how they make the trip ;)
ha ha, I think the water is optional. We'll see tomorrow :)

I packed up 5023409583409 corals today and poly bags/rubberband/water/air/pinch o carbon/2/3x bagged etc/seal air insulation box

My forearms are so ripped right now from tying bags... fingers are all buff too.. I would tear up some full contact rock/paper/skizzers/
Glad to contribute to your health and well being :)

OP
OP
agent462

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SaraB redeemed the styro crowd. She uses plugs and puts the plug through the stryo part holding them even more. My experience is always with disks and them sliding right out. And her zip lock usage was cheating. She placed the bags inside of a ziplock for extra water security.

+1 sara

OP
OP
agent462

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kraylen shipped everything using the carbon method and everything looked great. Another suggestive win for Carbon.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SaraB redeemed the styro crowd. She uses plugs and puts the plug through the stryo part holding them even more. My experience is always with disks and them sliding right out. And her zip lock usage was cheating. She placed the bags inside of a ziplock for extra water security.

+1 sara

Yippie, redemption of the styro shipment method with Ziploc's for extra measure. Next time I'll add some carbon for the trifecta!!!

I

inactive

View Badges
I've been toying with a ghost chip idea that will stick them to styro 100%... still working on it though, lab funds are low for R&D

fagundespavinp3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so Im new to this world and trying to wrap my head around this one.... I know this a old feed but maybe someone will see it. Are these $400-$1000 Corals Seriously shipped in just bags and rubber bands???? or do they have a little bit more sophisticated way of shipping them. hope to hear a response.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, bags, cups, rubbermaid, etc. Wrapped in newspaper with heat packs or cold packs. All inside a styrofoam box inside a shipping box.

fagundespavinp3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I can see the Styrofoam, heat and cool packs but the primary container just seems kind of sketchy. I wonder... the company I work for we have to assemble equipment for us to sell and when we get he products we receive it in a returnable crate for added security and strength I wonder if people in tis hobby would even consider something like this for the more expensive and sensitive livestock and maybe at a point standard way of shipping?? what do you think??

rhino56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use bags and heat seal them to save every bit of space i can. I would rather have any space filled with water over styrofoam. In a bag with only water and no bubbles or air, a second bag around it with some air to cushion it. Always works well for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back