Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those who dont know msm is one of the 5 chemicals known that are as safe as water and is most abundant in the ocean but does anyone add it to there synthetic sea water?

last time it was brought up there were allot of ppl interested in the effects....... anyone try it for themselves?

I dose 1000mg powdered msm with vitamin c twice a week. my tank is very happy and healthy and my corals open huge and grow fast! (pill form has silicates)

Bennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a surprise for me to stumble onto your blog after you reported the good experience with msm...how many gal per 1000mg of water did you treat?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really cannot imagine why one would want to add it or what you might expect to happen, aside from it acting as a carbon source for certain bacteria.

I would also quibble with your safety characterization, but that's just a detail. It certainly is known as relatively safe in people at doses one might normally consume.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those who dont know msm is one of the 5 chemicals known that are as safe as water and is most abundant in the ocean but does anyone add it to there synthetic sea water?

Where have you found data on the concentration of MSM (which is dimethylsulfone, CH3SO2CH3) in the ocean? I cannot find such data.

I do see data that claims that a different but related compound (DMSO, dimethylsulfoxide, CH3SOCH3) is the most abundant sulfur compound in the ocean, and another different compound (DMS, dimethylsulfide, CH3SCH3) is also present and which provides the smell of the ocean (was one of our Reef Chemistry Questions of the day )

http://www.pml.ac.uk/Research/Projects/Microbial_degradation_of_Dimethylsulfoxide_(DMSO)

from it:

"Dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO) is an organic sulphur compound found everywhere in our oceans, and is produced by a number of natural biological and chemical processes. DMSO is important because it is both a source and a sink for a climate-cooling gas called dimethyl sulfide (DMS).

DMS is a component of the smell of the seaside. Around 300 million tons of DMS are made each year by marine microorganisms, the majority of which gets converted to DMSO. However what happens to this DMSO largely remains a mystery and is thus the focus of this project. DMSO is recognised as the most abundant organic sulphur compound in the oceans, and represents a major pool of the essential life elements sulphur and carbon.

In this project, PML scientists will focus on finding out what happens to DMSO in seawater, using our local coastal observing station L4 where in-situmeasurements are undertaken weekly."

OP
OP
mainereefer

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while here lol
Dmso is unstable it evaporates goes into the clouds, stabilizes and returns in rain water as MSM the stable form of dmso

Having said that... anyone done anything with dmso or MSM with their reef

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while here lol
Dmso is unstable it evaporates goes into the clouds, stabilizes and returns in rain water as MSM the stable form of dmso

Having said that... anyone done anything with dmso or MSM with their reef
Well thats interesting. First ive heard of this. Where do you buy msm? Id be willing to try this provided its safe to dose. You still dosing?

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know that is the reason for better results? How do you test your water for it? Do you know uptake?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back