Metro in a DT?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here successfully dosed Metronidazole/Flagyl into a reef tank with corals + inverts? If so, what dosage/duration did you use??

I'm looking into this as a possible treatment for brook/uronema in a DT environment. It has already tested successful in a FOWLR.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if you ever moved forward with using flagyl in your system and your observations if you did.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it with urchins, and emerald crabs in tank no issues. No issues with snails on another occasion. Both times were a whole tank treatment, not food soaking. I have heard people lost crabs from it though. No corals in that tank. I don't know for sure if it would hurt corals. I would guess not the medicine targets anaerobic bacteria. Also if you look metronidazole has a low protein binding percentage. That means it can diffuse through tissue easily so it would likely not build up inside them, and water changes would remove it over time. As well it has a short half life, and is able to be biodegraded. Also relies on certain enzymes with in bacteria to kill the bacteria oddly enough. Not certain just a guess.

Last edited:

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back