Mg will not lower

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25gal frag tank and I'm going on a week with my Red Sea Pro Mg test running 1,500-1,600 with no dosing. I've performed 30% and 50% water change. My Alk is moving between 7.8 and then I dose 20-40ml. My Ca is moving between 420-350 with 30ml dose. but no movement in my Mg. SPS sticks are full polyp extension so I'm not overly concerned but I don't want to have some type of crash in parameters. Concerned I have a bad test kit but it was reading changes before a week ago. Any suggestions are welcome.

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I tested with Red Sea mag test and it ran high for me as well I took to my lfs and they run it on the computer and my mag was good so I’m sure the test is off I’d try a different test like salifert

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a 25gal frag tank and I'm going on a week with my Red Sea Pro Mg test running 1,500-1,600 with no dosing. I've performed 30% and 50% water change. My Alk is moving between 7.8 and then I dose 20-40ml. My Ca is moving between 420-350 with 30ml dose. but no movement in my Mg. SPS sticks are full polyp extension so I'm not overly concerned but I don't want to have some type of crash in parameters. Concerned I have a bad test kit but it was reading changes before a week ago. Any suggestions are welcome.
Assure your tests are not expired and also not getting false readings. To confirm, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Also- what salt are you using? Look at container and see what Mag content it is showing.
Other causes are elevated levels from Evaporation
Elevated calcium levels
Excess trace elements
Test vials from test kit may have precipt that is giving a high reading

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back