MH Bulb break in period

  • Thread starter Thread starter CNDReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Joined
Mar 19, 2017
Messages
1,941
Reaction score
2,260
Location
Boston
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the “100 hour “ break in period still the norm for mh bulbs?
 
When I was using MH's I didn't know there was a certain hour for break in. It Usually took around a week or so though.
 
I want to measure the par but want to know when the color shift is over. I guess I’ll just keep testing until it’s steady
 
Just go ahead and do it. Most of the time, the output is not an issue, the spectrum can change a bit... but the amount depends on the bulb.

PAR meters underestimate MH bulbs anyway, so it is just a guess, so the slightly shifting bulb is probably a rounding error anyway.
 
All bulbs will lose 15-25% over the year of use. Some level out after that and people use them for even longer (14k Phoenix, for example)... and some drop off even faster after a year.

In any case, my corals have never complained when I put in new bulbs without any acclimation. It is kinda fun to take a PAR reading with the 12 month old bulbs and then take a reading with the new ones. It is hard to explain why you can drop 125-200ish PAR onto some acropora when changing old-to-new MH bulbs over an acropora with no ill effects, yet raising a LED that same amount in a few minutes will cause a coral to burn.
 
I burned my share , that’s why I’m back with halides
I got the Hamilton 20k Bulb and I’m on the fence with the color still.
 
I really like the Hamilton bulb. But right now i am running their 14k bulb. I like it too

Corey
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new