MH Bulb Question

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your MH bulbs are old, will they cause algae to grow just like old PC and T5 bulbs?

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the can cause algae to grow if they are old enough...it's always a good idea to replace them around 1 yr or so depending on how long of a photoperiod you have...you own it to your tank to keep up with good bulbs!!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the can cause algae to grow if they are old enough...it's always a good idea to replace them around 1 yr or so depending on how long of a photoperiod you have...you own it to your tank to keep up with good bulbs!!

Ditto this...I also believe the PAR values can start to decrease over time as well. Good idea to keep the old ones as a backup though just in case!!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto this...I also believe the PAR values can start to decrease over time as well. Good idea to keep the old ones as a backup though just in case!!

+1 to this! I agree with 182 also, we do owe it to our tanks to keep the bulbs changed just like keeping our water quality up to par.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the spectrum shifts in the bulb it can become more conducive to algae growth. Some bulbs can shift colors faster than others also. It also can depend on bulb and ballast combos as to when you should switch bulbs.

I overdrive my 400w radiums and they usually need to be replaced about every 7 months.

Sent from my DROIDX

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to play devils advocate here...:xd: I think we change our bulbs out a little too early. I did an experiment before I took my 75gallon down. I ran DE 250w Phoenix 14k bulbs on it. For the first 12 months I ran them 8 hours a day and then switched my light cycle and ran them for 6 hours a day after that. My bulbs were at month 24 when I took the tank down. I knew I was upgrading my MH lighting so I wasn't going to buy new bulbs then. The par was down but as far as coral health, there was no difference as far as growth rate, color or appearance in general. I did not have ANY algae issue either. Dunno, just an observation. I still can't find an article for the life of me but there was mention that the par drop off in MH bulbs was more severe in the first 3 months of the bulbs life. Between months 3 and like 18 I think the drop was minimal. I'm not saying to run bulbs for 2 years but when I see people switching bulbs at 9 months and they don't have a par meter, just makes no sense to me. You cannot tell how much the par has dropped by just looking at your tank. Let the flaming start....:tongue: Let me know if anyone else remembers seeing that study in par drop off. Now there are special circumstances like if you are over driving Radium bulbs and what not.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I'm running the Phoenix 14ks, and when I changed out bulbs in January, I couldn't notice a single difference, nor did my corals have any ill effects. The bulbs where in there for probably 11 months.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great article.
Makes you wonder if you can stretch your bulbs to every 18 months.

Back