MH Mogul bulbs & UV lens question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stpatrick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Stpatrick

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2011
Messages
987
Reaction score
153
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends. If you are running a 250 watt radium about 12" AWL do you need a piece of tempered/UV glass? Or can you run the open pendant?

Thank you
 
Hi Friends. If you are running a 250 watt radium about 12" AWL do you need a piece of tempered/UV glass? Or can you run the open pendant?

Thank you

I think I found me answer. Can anyone confirm?

"What I was wondering: I have a 250 Watt HQI bulb, do I need to use a lens to filter out UV rays? or is this optional? Thanks, Eugene. <AdamC here. Thanks for the kind words! Ordinary glass blocks UV, but quartz glass does not. Although it is not technically correct, HQI has become synonymous with "double ended". All double ended lamps require UV shielding because the outer cover is quartz and does not block UV. All double ended fixtures should include an ordinary glass cover which will safely block the UV. Single ended lamps are build with ordinary glass, so they don't require shielding. Best Regards! AdamC.>"
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new