MH vs T5???

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2015
Messages
1,375
Reaction score
933
Location
Cincinnati
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So new guy with a light question. So I bought a 60 gallon tank, 30 x 18 x 24, and my LFS says that due to the dimensions I should probably go with metal halide lighting. I am not sure if I want to run that route due to heat and the electric bill, but if its best I guess I will spring.

Otherwise, I was looking into T5's. My question for T5's is: there are many types of fixtures out there. Is there much difference between the $150 fixture compared to the ATI $450 fixture. I would run ATI bulbs. Just didn't know if this is a "get what you pay for" situation.

Let me know what you think.
 
What are you wanting to keep? A 4 bulb t5 would be able to keep lots of corals in that tank. A 6 bulb would allow you to keep high light corals anywhere in the tank. I have a 6 bulb on this 29 gallon. And it's a $100 fixture off eBay
16cfcdbdf4717f39a1fab724daa6e569.jpg
 
What are you wanting to keep? A 4 bulb t5 would be able to keep lots of corals in that tank. A 6 bulb would allow you to keep high light corals anywhere in the tank. I have a 6 bulb on this 29 gallon. And it's a $100 fixture off eBay
16cfcdbdf4717f39a1fab724daa6e569.jpg

I would like to have Coral and some Fish. As to what types I am not sure yet. I need to do my research and see what I really like. I might just go with a six bulb fixture just so that I can have all of my basis covered if needed.
 
I would like to have Coral and some Fish. As to what types I am not sure yet. I need to do my research and see what I really like. I might just go with a six bulb fixture just so that I can have all of my basis covered if needed.
That would be a good idea. Halide is superior, but as you already know it will produce lots of heat and cost more to run. On a tank your size heat from halide could easily be an issue.
 
After poking around for a while, I think I have decided between these two fixtures:

24" ATI Sunpower 6x24W or the 24" Hamilton Fiji Sun 6x24W

Any recommendations or suggestions on these two, or any other fixture that I should consider?
 
The sun power would be a great fixture, especially if it's dimmable. Have you considered a powermodule?
 
For that size tank I would just put a 250 watt Radium bulb over it and call it a day. Heat can easily be alleviated by a cheap household fan and the cost of electricity & bulb replacement each year would be peanuts compared to the grand scheme of things IMO.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new