Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to make an update on my tank.

First, I want to be clear: I enjoy experimenting and seeing what works for me. It might look like I’m “fiddling”, but I believe exploring and finding what works/doesn’t work will ultimately lead to the best results.

So, here’s what I tried exploring:

Vinegar/carbon dosing
Silica dosing
Keeping ULN
Turning off UV

Carbon dosing worked very well for nitrates. The main purpose of carbon dosing was to grow bacteria on the substrate. I thought maybe the bacteria could outcompete with possible fish parasites and perhaps provide food for a starfish.

Well, I ended up stopping it because . I read a lot of posts about people have acro issues with carbon dosing, so the experiment was not worth pursuing. I did close the UV during this trial and I did not like the tank’s appearance without the sterilizer, so I run it now

Silica dosing:

This one was a fun experiment. I dosed 1mL of silica (40%) per week in my tank. It got some diatoms and while the diatoms themselves weren’t bothersome, I’ve found they grew over my coralline algae and started trying to take over the rock structures. I did try lowering the dose to .5mL/week after taking a break, but the effects were still undesirable to the appearance. Silica dosing is terminated in favor of coralline algae.

ULNS: I tried keeping ULNS, but I found that I’d rather not ride the edge of the blade. I fed a lot and tested daily, but I do not believe ULNS provides any meaningful results. I still see the same alk consumption at 0.08ppm as I did at 0.01ppm. I’ve been looking at some acro keepers and I noticed that many of the gorgeous acros are kept generally from 0.00-0.10ppm. I did not see a correlation of better coloration with any nutrient level in that range. The risk of starving a coral and getting dinos was not something I wanted. The benefits (if at all) were not enough to justify that.

I didn’t have any coral losses during my trials. Everything is doing fine and growth is starting to take off. Fish are healthy and managing the ich just fine for now!

If you read through this blabber, congrats, you get update pics!

C3FA1531-45EF-4EFE-B973-5BC571710A83.jpeg
25F36488-2FCA-4900-B28D-03E9629CE739.jpeg
F81826C9-4DD2-44FB-8A84-36817821EDA5.jpeg
D373E46E-A333-449A-9DC0-3992B7D8518D.jpeg
F48975F5-8714-46D9-9CB1-45171E82E32F.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Great writeup. I've been thinking of carbon dosing once I get my phosphates under control but may just up the fuge schedule.
Thank you, Sam.

I would like to say that I did not carbon dose for any considerable amount of time. Maybe a month? I don’t believe I saw any negative effects. But apparently STN/RTN is mainly caused by bacteria, and I switched my focus to keep my tank as low stress as possible.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u move the decimal one place to the right u get my numbers. Great looking system. Enjoy the anthias. Great fish.

Coincidentally I stopped drinking the ULNS cool-aid. Wasn’t worth it. I’ve come to realize that we cannot simulate the natural reef’s parameters since there isn’t a constant flux of food. It’s not worth risking coral starvation. They need phosphates, but I believe too high can potentially slow growth.

Here’s my current parameters that I’ve been keeping very consistently.

Salinity: 35ppt
Temp: 78F-79F
Ph: 8.1-8.4
Alkalinity: 7.5-7.8dkh
Calcium: 420
Magnesium: 1350ppm
Phosphate 0.08ppm
Nitrate: 7.5ppm
Par: 350 average

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice looking group of anthias, I love them!
Anyways, cool progression on your reef.. I appreciate your honesty and write ups.

PS: Nice fingers :p
Thank you!

I’m dying of laughter. This is so funny. :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today’s parameters:

Alkalinity 7.8dkh
Nitrates 6.3ppm
Phosphates 0.06ppm

I’ve been testing daily for about 2 weeks to get a feel for the system. The alkalinity does not budge. It’s been rock stable.

Phosphates went from 0.07ppm to 0.06ppm after my water change last night. I am running a tiny amount of GFO to keep it stable. Working just fine.

Nitrates are stable. It goes up and down by about .5ppm-1ppm depending on its mood. I don’t do anything for nitrates besides for skimming, filter socks, and water changes.

I’m entering a new era: photography. I have a DSLR camera and it’s time to put it in use. I will be practicing learning how to use it for my tank. A build thread IMO is only as good as the photos that go into it.

Like the saying goes: “A picture is worth a thousand words”.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the alkalinity, I dosed 120mL of each solution of my 3 part daily via dosing pumps. I raised it by 10mL since that will get me very close to 8dkh.

So now I set up the Apex to dose 130mL daily.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys,

My first real attempt at taking photos with a DSLR in manual mode.

Tank looks kind of barren, it's a good thing I have a package of 7 acro frags from @Big E that's coming in about 2 weeks. :)
IMG_8288.JPG
IMG_8357.JPG
IMG_8358.JPG
IMG_8359.JPG
IMG_8360.JPG
IMG_8364.JPG
IMG_8365.JPG
IMG_8366.JPG

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys,

My first real attempt at taking photos with a DSLR in manual mode.

Tank looks kind of barren, it's a good thing I have a package of 7 acro frags from @Big E that's coming in about 2 weeks. :)
IMG_8288.JPG
IMG_8357.JPG
IMG_8358.JPG
IMG_8359.JPG
IMG_8360.JPG
IMG_8364.JPG
IMG_8365.JPG
IMG_8366.JPG
Pictures look great, tanks nice and clean! Beautiful fish!!!

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tanks looking awesome! Good job man and keep up the good work.. Fish also look very happy and I see you got some skills in taking pictures :)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get those icp results back yet? Anything interesting with those? I sent out 2 tests of my r.o storage one came back all 0 one came back with silicon...so that was interesting for me...

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tanks looking awesome! Good job man and keep up the good work.. Fish also look very happy and I see you got some skills in taking pictures :)
Thank you! :)
Did you get those icp results back yet? Anything interesting with those? I sent out 2 tests of my r.o storage one came back all 0 one came back with silicon...so that was interesting for me...
Yes, I got the results back. Everything was “perfect”.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back