Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice photos! I still think you need more sand.
Just Saying Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

:winking-face-with-tongue:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice photos! I still think you need more sand.
Just Saying Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

:winking-face-with-tongue:
Have you ever seen @Projects with Sam ’s tank? It’s completely bare bottom!

I am so happy with the sand I added, but the middle of the tank gets bare because of the flow. I don’t think there’s anything I can do about that lol.

Luckily, coralline algae is starting to grow all over the bottom! Only a matter of time until the bottom looks like a sand bed!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying my hand at keeping this red ball sponge. I like the way it looks and I’ve been developing an obsession to clams and sponges lately.

I hope I can be successful at keeping this red sponge long term. The color is so bright. I’m not expecting any success. I just want to try it. I of course do have a little plan to see if I can be successful, but I am not saying I have this all figured out…because I don’t.

4B7E93A6-0610-4A05-A4C9-C2CED0B6A08C.jpeg

Bonus. Can you count how many clams you see?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Trying my hand at keeping this red ball sponge. I like the way it looks and I’ve been developing an obsession to clams and sponges lately.

I hope I can be successful at keeping this red sponge long term. The color is so bright. I’m not expecting any success. I just want to try it. I of course do have a little plan to see if I can be successful, but I am not saying I have this all figured out…because I don’t.

5? sure looks nice! what is that fish in the lower left?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, forgot to mention: you are correct. There are 5. :)
5 easy. But I will say you maybe me look a little longer just because it seemed TOO easy :winking-face-with-tongue: Love how it is coming along!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 easy. But I will say you maybe me look a little longer just because it seemed TOO easy :winking-face-with-tongue: Love how it is coming along!
Thank you so much!

I have to say, this red sponge just makes me feel…complete.

I wish it can live with me long term. The tank is really starting to come along. I see my acros growing and getting new buds + encrusting. I believe I’m doing everything right with my stony corals/clams.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!

I have to say, this red sponge just makes me feel…complete.

I wish it can live with me long term. The tank is really starting to come along. I see my acros growing and getting new buds + encrusting. I believe I’m doing everything right with my stony corals/clams.
Looking good, I don't think I've see a tank with calms, acros, and sponges together :) sweet:), we have wild gorgonias here purple and yellow/orange ones , and orange sponges, way way way back in the day (past statute of limitations) I tried them in my reef tank, but didn't have much luck, but they like really dirty water, with more nutrients i assume, that may be something to watch for. Either way looking great, it won't be long now!!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I’ve been avoiding updating ya’ll about the sponge. Mainly because I don’t want to seem like a failure to ya’ll.

So I ended up returning the sponges. They didn’t die, but they just were wayyy too complicated to keep. I’ve been researching them a lot but I haven’t found one success story in a tank similar to mine.

So, no more sponge.

In other news, someone wanted me to ship them some of my white worms, I sent it for free and paid shipping. I didn’t charge them because it was my first time shipping them and these worms don’t ship well.

They arrived to them dead. :(

We think the reason they arrived dead was because the soil the worms were in was very damp/wet. I need to reculture the worms into fresh soil.

I do plan on shipping them again to the person, but next time I will make sure the soil is nice a dry (but not too dry). I will also look into a more breathable way instead of putting them in a sealed ziplock bag.

I will also put more ice packs than I did before just in case it was heat that killed them.

I plan to buy a Duncan coral this Sunday.

They grew really well for me in the past and look cool.

So, that’s the update on my life lol.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome!!!!! :star-struck:
Really?? You like the sand bed? If so, yessssss.

Ps, I really wish I can rehome my yellow tang. I’ve been considering it for a really weird reason.

I don’t think I’d rehome my yellow tang, but man, it’s so tempting…

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back