Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a decent photo of my deresa in the new tank, what lighting do you keep your tank under? Is it blues all day or blues with a break of whites?
7AB9791F-0C36-465F-A552-C4B0F6801747.jpeg

Also, got a photo of any of the mantis you got rid of?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a decent photo of my deresa in the new tank
Wow! Your new lighting really brings out the colors of your clam. The blue dimmed edges are captivating!
what lighting do you keep your tank under? Is it blues all day or blues with a break of whites?
My tank is using T5 lighting. I’d say my tank is around 14-16K

I have a dark blue look for 4 hours (blue plus and actinic) and then I have all the bulbs on 8 hours ( actinic, coral plus, and blue plus). My total photoperiod is 12 hours.

I’m not a fan of the all-blue look 24/7. I prefer daylights more.
Also, got a photo of any of the mantis you got rid of?
I didn’t get any pictures. I found this on the KP website where they collect their rocks from, so it’s possible that this is the one I got, but mine seemed darker and more drab: https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/mantis-shrimp-odontodactylus-havanensis/

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Your new lighting really brings out the colors of your clam. The blue dimmed edges are captivating!
It really does bring out the colours in the clam! He now extends his mantle so much more and has doubled in size in the two months he’s been in the tank. I’m going to my second LFS at some point either in two weeks or next weekend and if they have a clam I was eyeing up last week then I may end up with a second clam haha.
I didn’t get any pictures. I found this on the KP website where they collect their rocks from, so it’s possible that this is the one I got, but mine seemed darker and more drab: https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/mantis-shrimp-odontodactylus-havanensis/
That’s beautiful, I’m surprised you didn’t set up a separate tank for one of them.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clue will work :)
Don’t leave us in suspense!!
Sorry! I was driving + had to get the QT set up.

Can I post the names and google pics? I can’t get good quality pictures...

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres melanurus, Pseudanthias squamipinnis(?), and Paracheilinus flavianalis I assume.
Close!

Paracheilinus carpenteri
Halichoeres melanurus
Pseudanthias pleurotaenia

I’m most excited about the 3rd from this list. :D

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracheilinus flavianalis
I think you may be correct on this one, actually. I did purchase this guy as a carpenter wrasse. I will need to get better pics. Hopefully once they go in the big tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may be correct on this one, actually. I did purchase this guy as a carpenter wrasse. I will need to get better pics. Hopefully once they go in the big tank.
The yellow anal fin looks to me like flavianalis over carpenteri, looking forward to the extra pics! You need more flashers and fairies haha I’m surprised you don’t seem to have that many actually.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow anal fin looks to me like flavianalis over carpenteri, looking forward to the extra pics! You need more flashers and fairies haha I’m surprised you don’t seem to have that many actually.
I had a few wrasses but they died/disappeared. Not sure why only the wrasses were affected, but I am trying again after allowing some time to pass. I never saw any sort of disease outbreak.

I do have a lid, but maybe they jumped through the sides? Not sure. I currently have a firefish that is still in the tank.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow anal fin
I know this is the proper way to say it but I just cant with that word. It gets me every time. You would think by age 40 I would be mature enough not to have a kid like response to certain words...........

Mean Girls Laugh GIF

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the 3 fish to my display. They are doing very well and are all eating. The flasher wrasse quickly became one of my favorite because it fluoresces when it flashes. It was my first ever flasher wrasse and I think I need more. :)

Today’s parameters:

Alkalinity9.2dKH
Phosphates0.08ppm
Nitrates6.8ppm

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the 3 fish to my display. They are doing very well and are all eating. The flasher wrasse quickly became one of my favorite because it fluoresces when it flashes. It was my first ever flasher wrasse and I think I need more. :)

Today’s parameters:

Alkalinity9.2dKH
Phosphates0.08ppm
Nitrates6.8ppm
Have you stopped quarantining?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you stopped quarantining?
Kind of. I’m kind of in the middle about it. I recently switched my mentality about fish keeping.

I used to believe that all my fish needed to be medicated, even if they weren’t sick. I’ve killed a LOT of fish in the past, and I thought I was a murderer. Trying to get a school of chromis in my tank changed my mentality more than anything about fish keeping.

I was a difficult concept for me to grasp: How can not using the most power chemicals that people recommend lead to better results? I’ve killed so many fish in the past.

I realized a balanced approach is what I truly needed. I do not QT any of my corals/inverts. For fish, I will observe them for however long I feel like without meds. If they are more resistant to parasites (like wrasses and anthias) then I’ll add them in much quicker.

I’m really only worried about marine velvet. I know I already have ich, but my fish’s immune system has it kept at small levels.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kind of. I’m kind of in the middle about it. I recently switched my mentality about fish keeping.

I used to believe that all my fish needed to be medicated, even if they weren’t sick. I’ve killed a LOT of fish in the past, and I thought I was a murderer. Trying to get a school of chromis in my tank changed my mentality more than anything about fish keeping.

I was a difficult concept for me to grasp: How can not using the most power chemicals that people recommend lead to better results? I’ve killed so many fish in the past.

I realized a balanced approach is what I truly needed. I do not QT any of my corals/inverts. For fish, I will observe them for however long I feel like without meds. If they are more resistant to parasites (like wrasses and anthias) then I’ll add them in much quicker.

I’m really only worried about marine velvet. I know I already have ich, but my fish’s immune system has it kept at small levels.
Agreed! there are too many vectors to be able to enjoy the hobby and fully qt everything.,..
I'm a subscriber to the 80/20 rule. Observation in a QT tank for a bit will catch a lot of issues.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Today’s parameters:

Alkalinity9.2dKH
Phosphates0.08ppm
Nitrates6.8ppm
Shoot me a pm, I’m sure you’ll take that think into a need ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back