Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I made this super new and informative article based on chemistory: alkalinity - why it rises in some tanks.

I submitted it as an article. I noticed that one of the biggest trolls, tehmadreefer, put a laughing reaction. Making my hard work look like a piece of joke.

Can I ask you guys to read it? If you like it, it would be awesome to put a reaction on it to drown out the hate. That user has something against me for a long time.

But anyway, here’s the newest (hopefully future) article I made!!! Im SO proud and nervous about putting it out in the world! https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-ways-alkalinity-can-accumulate-in-a-reef-tank.946377/
Thank you its very informative, I don’t understand why the laughing emoji though?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, friends! :)

I went to the LFS and purchased 2 frogspawns, a bubble gum digi, and 2 mariculture milleporas.

They are bathing in Coral RX. Some parts have tissue loss on the maricultures and digi, but I expect it to grow right back (it’s happened before with mari acros I purchased).

image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I went to the LFS and purchased 2 frogspawns, a bubble gum digi, and 2 mariculture milleporas.

They are bathing in Coral RX. Some parts have tissue loss on the maricultures and digi, but I expect it to grow right back (it’s happened before with mari acros I purchased).

image.jpg
Pics of before and after once the milles begin to colour up are a must! Definitely want to see what colours they are when they colour up :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of before and after once the milles begin to colour up are a must! Definitely want to see what colours they are when they colour up :)
Sure! This picture shows the 3 sps in their starting condition. I will update you when I notice changes.

2FFAA29B-BD8F-4BBE-AED7-E38352DAE580.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Those frogspawn frags look kind of rough; no flesh at all on the branch makes me think they are going to be difficult to keep alive. I hope I'm wrong...

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought you would be proud that I am having higher nutrients now lol.

The frogspawn looked very plump and open at the LFS. It also currently seems to look good in the tank. Did that closed appearance mean they will be more difficult? It was just opened from a bag after the drive from the LFS.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The frogspawn looked very plump and open at the LFS. It also currently seems to look good in the tank. Did that closed appearance mean they will be more difficult? It was just opened from a bag after the drive from the LFS.
From being closed it’s hard to tell much IME. My hammer looked identical to that when I last saw him fully closed up (a good few months now).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, it's normal for them to close up when being messed with, and actually a good thing because if not retracted when taken out of the water, the weight of the polyps can cause injury... I was referring to the fact that there is zero flesh on the stem/branch. This is not ideal and indicates that at some point recently, the coral was stressed, sick, etc. Hopefully in your tank, with stable parameters it will recover.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, do you find your clams have a personality that’s nicer to watch when you don’t see all of your fish?
Clams have less personality than fish, but they have some personality.

They are similar to snakes because both don’t necessarily have feelings, but they can experience “calm” vs. “stress.” My clams are “comfortable” and “happy” when they have shell growth or are entending their mantles.

Clams (large ones) also will shoot a powerful stream of water out of their siphon when held. If you take them out of the water, they will shoot a stream. It’s interesting.

PS I don’t take my clams out of the water for fun. I’m describing their personable characteristics.

And yes, I do watch my clams a lot. lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams have less personality than fish, but they have some personality.

They are similar to snakes because both don’t necessarily have feelings, but they can experience “calm” vs. “stress.” My clams are “comfortable” and “happy” when they have shell growth or are entending their mantles.

Clams (large ones) also will shoot a powerful stream of water out of their siphon when held. If you take them out of the water, they will shoot a stream. It’s interesting.

PS I don’t take my clams out of the water for fun. I’m describing their personable characteristics.

And yes, I do watch my clams a lot. lol
I think the only thing I watch in my tank aside from the fish is the clams, the coral I enjoy but I don’t really watch it in the same way and it’s the same for my other inverts (Although, I don’t really see my other inverts unless it’s a leg or antenna).

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin1971Texas

I think I just put the pieces together. At the LFS, one of the frogspawns looked pale. I thought it was a color morph lol.

Here are the frogspawns (plus the 2 acros and digi). The frogspawn on the left is bright and pale, while the one on the right is rich.

764206BE-1FF0-487F-B53D-F160284ED797.jpeg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin1971Texas

I think I just put the pieces together. At the LFS, one of the frogspawns looked pale. I thought it was a color morph lol.

Here are the frogspawns (plus the 2 acros and digi). The frogspawn on the left is bright and pale, while the one on the right is rich.

Are you referencing these two?

Attachments

• 764206BE-1FF0-487F-B53D-F160284ED797.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 34

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back