Michigan Storms and Power Outages

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a recently set of storms that destroyed South-East Michigan has left over 600,000 homes without power. Most of it went out Wednesday, but some also lost it Thursday. The energy companies have rushed to action, but even with that many of us aren’t projected to get service restored until next week. My areas projected restoration is Saturday at 11:30pm. So I know research says fish can live up to two days (sometimes more) during a power outage, but I can’t help but worry for my system. No stores around have any generators, and I don’t have battery backups. There’s also the worry of how bad the recovery will be if the tank DOES survive until power is restored. I do know that after this event, I will be researching for a good generator, and getting a battery backup or two.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your biggest issue is just air and flow. Get a good size container and fill and pour tank water over and over to get oxygen back into the tank. Do that a lot, periodically every couple hours or so. Lucky for you it’s not winter, so tank temp might get warm but probably not crazy. So just keep it aerated.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A generator is never a bad idea. With the amount of time and money we invest in our fish, corals, and tanks, a generator just makes sense.

I have 2.

I'm also in MI, but luckily, my power didn't go out the other day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back