MicroBacter7 - Skimmer going crazy

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to dose some MicroBacter7 to my tank, to make sure I had a good population of the good bacteria in the tank. It's been running for awhile, and is having some cyano issues, so I though a tune up might be in order. My plan was also to use some of the MicroBacter clean (but as of yet, I haven't started).

I did the first dose, as per the instructions, and added it to the display. Nothing really happened. I also threw 3 Xport-BIO bricks in a bucket, and dosed them with MB7 (per instructions), and let them sit overnight.
Next day, I added the bricks to the sump. I forgot to turn off the skimmer, which, oops, ok, and it went crazy and overflowed within about 30m. Well, the instructions say to turn it off for 4 hours, so I shut it down for 4-5 hours.

I turned it back on, and it went nuts and overflowed instantly. I ended up just leaving it to overflow in the sump, for gas exchange, in case something untoward was happening in the tank. It's been running overnight, and this morning, it's still going crazy. ORP seems stable and normal, fish look ok, not seeing any obvious issues, but the skimmer is just going absolutely nuts.

Has anyone seen this with MB7? Is it a bacteria bloom? Water seems clear, not cloudy. Only obvious effect is the skimmer is going absolutely nuts, even turned down all the way.

OP
OP
garbled

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the instructions say to dose again today.. should I? Or should I leave it alone until it calms down? I feel like it's definitely doing *something*, I just didn't expect the skimmer bezerko...

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the instructions say to dose again today.. should I? Or should I leave it alone until it calms down? I feel like it's definitely doing *something*, I just didn't expect the skimmer bezerko...
If it’s an established tank a single dose is plenty. If it’s a new tank you can add more.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose both MB7 and MB Clean weekly right after my water change. As per the instructions I leave my skimmer off for 4 hours (MB Clean) and things seem to work well. Personally was surprised how well MB Clean worked on both my display and frag tanks after 2-3 months of weekly dosing, definitely feel like I can see a difference compared to how it was before.

OP
OP
garbled

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cyano problems tell me I have an imbalance, so, I'm not surprised that something happened, and I've heard good things, so that's why I'm on this road. I'm actually excited to try the clean. You dose them together? I wasn't sure if I should do one and then the other. Right now until the skimmer stops, I'm not going to touch it, as I don't want to do something dumb.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have been dosing both, can't tell you if you really need both but I used to dose.only MB7 for a long time, then I added MB Clean and you can tell there must be a difference in the product because MB7 alone never did what adding clean did.

Ryan Doolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose both MB7 and MB Clean weekly right after my water change. As per the instructions I leave my skimmer off for 4 hours (MB Clean) and things seem to work well. Personally was surprised how well MB Clean worked on both my display and frag tanks after 2-3 months of weekly dosing, definitely feel like I can see a difference compared to how it was before.

What differences do you feel you have seen from dosing the clean vs not?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What differences do you feel you have seen from dosing the clean vs not?

The most noticable difference is how clean the sand has become. In my frag tank the sand even on top was nasty, I never vaccum my frag tank sand and it slowly went from a darker dingy color to bright white. The rockwork seems like someone scrubbed the whole thing everyday and all alages have pretty well stopped growing on the rocks.

Japoy013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joseph, I'm thinking of dosing both Microbacter 7 and Microbacter Clean. Do you dosed both at the same time or is there a time between dosing?

I decided to dose some MicroBacter7 to my tank, to make sure I had a good population of the good bacteria in the tank. It's been running for awhile, and is having some cyano issues, so I though a tune up might be in order. My plan was also to use some of the MicroBacter clean (but as of yet, I haven't started).

I did the first dose, as per the instructions, and added it to the display. Nothing really happened. I also threw 3 Xport-BIO bricks in a bucket, and dosed them with MB7 (per instructions), and let them sit overnight.
Next day, I added the bricks to the sump. I forgot to turn off the skimmer, which, oops, ok, and it went crazy and overflowed within about 30m. Well, the instructions say to turn it off for 4 hours, so I shut it down for 4-5 hours.

I turned it back on, and it went nuts and overflowed instantly. I ended up just leaving it to overflow in the sump, for gas exchange, in case something untoward was happening in the tank. It's been running overnight, and this morning, it's still going crazy. ORP seems stable and normal, fish look ok, not seeing any obvious issues, but the skimmer is just going absolutely nuts.

Has anyone seen this with MB7? Is it a bacteria bloom? Water seems clear, not cloudy. Only obvious effect is the skimmer is going absolutely nuts, even turned down all the way.
I've dosed MB7 for a week now and never seen my skimmer go nuts. Although, I turn if off for 4 hours. When I turn it back on, it operates normally.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joseph, I'm thinking of dosing both Microbacter 7 and Microbacter Clean. Do you dosed both at the same time or is there a time between dosing?
I dose them at the same time into the display (once a week). I have my MB7 on a hand pump (think like soap bottles) and just pump in the amount based on the directions for my tank size (15ml.) For MBC I follow the directions and dilute it in 250ml of tank water before pouring it into my display, I use 130ml of MBC every weekend. I dose both of these weekly right after my water change and keep the skimmer off the for the 4 hours as per MBC.

Japoy013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose them at the same time into the display (once a week). I have my MB7 on a hand pump (think like soap bottles) and just pump in the amount based on the directions for my tank size (15ml.) For MBC I follow the directions and dilute it in 250ml of tank water before pouring it into my display, I use 130ml of MBC every weekend. I dose both of these weekly right after my water change and keep the skimmer off the for the 4 hours as per MBC.
Thanks, I was worried that I would have to dose them at different times, turning off my skimmer for 8 hours...

Bdubb44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just joined R2R and have this same issue. How did you fix it? Need help on this, thanks.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder why the instructions says to mix MBC with tank water first before introducing. I first pour into a measuring cup to get a proper dosing volume, but that's also to not contaminate the bottle. I wonder what need to mix first since it'll mix in the tank anyways when you pour it in.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back