MicroFauna

  • Thread starter Thread starter fragit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Messages
2,509
Reaction score
1,869
Location
Freeport
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my new reef with dry Pukani Rock in both the display and refugium. The rock cured for about 4 months with some 2LittleFishes bacteria. I got some Chaeto and Caulerpa from my LFS so far the only real life I have seen was one micro brittle star and a lone small bristle worm. I'm doing the Aqua Forest program so I'm good with bacteria. Is there a good source out there to purchase a healthy variety of micro fauna? I can find pods but not mini brittles worms etc. Should I get some garf grunge or something? Thanks for the help.
 
I'd see if can get a cup or two of live sand from another reefer or your LFS. It should be filled with relatively hardy microfauna if it's from a mature system. Bristle worm and micro stars are hard to get on purpose, you will eventually get them as hitch hikers.
 
Yeah I already thought about going the lfs route, also to some coralline scrapings to seed for that. I was just wondering if there is a source for some specialized micro/macro fauna. Thanks for the reply.
 
Just depends on what you want. I've seen listings for bristleworms on eBay. Microbrittles are so common that no one really sells them (which is annoying).

I would suggest you check out ReefCleaners. They have some really interesting inverts like chitons, limpets, and zig-zag periwinkles. Plus you could snag their pods+ thing, which is just a mix of many kinds of pods.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new