microscope pics

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some of this nuisance green film algae on a few zoas can't seem to make it go away although it will brush off with a tooth brush. Keeps coming back on certain ones. Decided to look closer. @mcarroll @dansreef

The problem:
20180216_142150.jpg

First the scope pics, then some other things I found, potentially causing the problem.

20180216_140557.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Also found this guy from a dip, couldn't really see it but I could see a tiny speck of algae moving and this was with it. Kind of looks like a pod maybe? I don't know, never looked at one under a scope, let alone one this small. Next 4 pics are all one organism.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Then zooming in with my camera I found strange things I never noticed before. Unfortunately I couldn't catch them so can't get them under the microscope. Really can't see them with naked eye either only with cell phone zoomed in. I'll edit in cell pics...

Bring your attention back to that first pic. See that tiny black for on the right side zoa? I assure you my vision is better than 20/20 and I could not see that speck with my cell on full zoom. Once I noticed that speck, I saw it move fast and random. First thought, detritus swept away by current.

Then I found more, saw them all move in random patterns. Broke out the canon camera to try some more pics... didn't really work still a black dot. I was able to take a video of one with my cell phone. You can clearly see the black dot run from left to right, then to the top of the zoa.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is literally growing over your zoanthids?

Can you post a "full spread" on your tank?

test results – full tank shot – closeup of the algae – all details about tank upkeep

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is literally growing over your zoanthids?

Can you post a "full spread" on your tank?

test results – full tank shot – closeup of the algae – all details about tank upkeep

Sure.
Parameters, 360g system
alk~8
Ca 400
Mg 1280
No3 and 10
Po4 about .75

All stable as can be. Dose triton and 190ml I believe each part per day via dosers every other hr. Carbon reactor, 75g sump that I grow caulerpa in. Change 55g out weekly, red sea salt. Problem not happening in either of my 2 frag tanks attached to this system.

Recent fts a few days ago. Turned on lights at about 1am temporarily just before this pic.
20180215_013359.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see if you can get a close-up of whatever is growing over the zillionth it's.

Where do you take your water sample from for testing? Frag tank #1, frag tank #2, display or sump?

If you have the time and patience, I would recommend testing water from all four tanks to see how much variance you have across your system.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see if you can get a close-up of whatever is growing over the zillionth it's.

Where do you take your water sample from for testing? Frag tank #1, frag tank #2, display or sump?

If you have the time and patience, I would recommend testing water from all four tanks to see how much variance you have across your system.
I usually take from Frag tank 1 as its closest to where I test. I always take from the same spot too.

Whatever it is on the zoas I know a quick dip in metronidazole knocks it out. I don't think its usable as a full tank treatment though.

I finally caught one of the tiny black flea looking things in the video I posted. They really dart around pretty fast and since you almost can't see them, it was quite difficult. Got some good micro pics of it though. Looks pod-ish. I'm very tempted to use some interceptor. Also took a pic of the slide so you can see just how small these things are. Its that tiny particle you can see right in the center of the slide pic. I think maybe I broke a tail off it on the slide, idk.

9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a pod, so I don't think I'd worry about that.

I would stop random treatments with metronidazole or any other medication – certainly don't treat the tank. ;)

How long have you been doing Triton chemicals?

How long have these particular zoanthids been in the tank?

NO3 and PO4 seem high for having a caulerpa refugium and tank full of corals drawing on it – I'm really curious how much difference in the numbers between your tanks now.

Since you already test Frag1, can you at least run a full slate of tests on the main display where the problem appears to be so we can compare? At least get NO3 and PO4 on the display if you can....but I would be interested to see them all.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, my guess is that it's some kind of cyano. But I can't remember seeing cyano grow on a coral before.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, my guess is that it's some kind of cyano. But I can't remember seeing cyano grow on a coral before.
Yes it green cyano, it can grow on corals I used to have some on my zoas.
Best to brush it off with a toothbrush and try and prevent it from coming back, takes awhile but it works.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem like green cyano but it's definitely not what I would expect cyano to look like under a scope.

@mcarroll there is a really heavy fish load on the system. With over 30 fish.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cameronh Thanks for posting that!

How'd you get all 30 to hide at once?!?!?!?!?!?!? ;) :)

Remind me (or a pic will do) what your under-cabinet section is like?

How old is that sand bed? Looks like it might be fairly not-quite-clean. ;) If you stir up a small patch of sand with your finger (or something) does it release a cloud of light tan or brown? Check a few places.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Triggreef, being we are on the zoa topic......it's about that time.

Pm me man

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back