Midas Blenny injury or illness?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this spot behind his pectoral fin today. Everything is otherwise normal. Eating, swimming, etc. He’s been in the tank for a little over a month, and never any aggression that I’ve seen between him and any of his tank mates.

Haven’t tested water since last week, but ammonia was .1, nitrate 16, ph 7.8, phos .3, nitrite .1 temp bounces at 78°- 79°.

Coral sting? Abrasion? Or something more sinister?

#fishmed#fishmedics

IMG_4611.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this spot behind his pectoral fin today. Everything is otherwise normal. Eating, swimming, etc. He’s been in the tank for a little over a month, and never any aggression that I’ve seen between him and any of his tank mates.

Haven’t tested water since last week, but ammonia was .1, nitrate 16, ph 7.8, phos .3, nitrite .1 temp bounces at 78°- 79°.

Coral sting? Abrasion? Or something more sinister?

#fishmed#fishmedics

IMG_4611.jpeg

Could be a simple abrasion, tough to see, can you tell if this looks like the skin is damaged, or is it more like something is erupting from underneath the skin?

Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a simple abrasion, tough to see, can you tell if this looks like the skin is damaged, or is it more like something is erupting from underneath the skin?

Jay
I wish I could say for sure. He doesn’t sit still long enough to be 100% sure. If he was human, I’d say It sort of looks like a blood blister.

My first thought was hyperpigmentation of some sort, but it’s definitely a raised bump.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could say for sure. He doesn’t sit still long enough to be 100% sure. If he was human, I’d say It sort of looks like a blood blister.

My first thought was hyperpigmentation of some sort, but it’s definitely a raised bump.
It doesn’t look like a coral sting. There are some internal infections like Icthyophonus that can cause eruptive pustules. Difficult to treat those, but some are self-limiting and can just heal up.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fish swimming well. It looks a little thin.
Is it eating well? If so, what foods are you feeding?
For the pimple abrasion, ruby Rally pro will help in tank or in quarantine- seachem neoplex but keep an eye on it as suggested by Jay Unless it gets/develops into sore or redness

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish swimming well. It looks a little thin.
Is it eating well? If so, what foods are you feeding?
For the pimple abrasion, ruby Rally pro will help in tank or in quarantine- seachem neoplex but keep an eye on it as suggested by Jay Unless it gets/develops into sore or redness
Eats like a pig. LRS reef frenzy in the evening and flakes at least twice a day, sometimes more. I feed pellets a few times a week as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Eats like a pig. LRS reef frenzy in the evening and flakes at least twice a day, sometimes more. I feed pellets a few times a week as well.
Add mysis and brine shrimp to diet for fats and aid with digestion

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't see anything immediately treatable here. The "skinny blenny" issue is something to watch for though:

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back