Might be a silly question....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I imagine Salifert would have gone the one-bottle route if possible so I'm guessing adding the two bottles together wouldn't work?

So I'm still a bit lost on how I can (if at all) try to DIY this Red Sea solution. Can I just get some Bromocresol Green and MEG? Also why the BOOO! about the BG @JimWelsh

I presume the boo is because a single dye is not as good.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I imagine Salifert would have gone the one-bottle route if possible so I'm guessing adding the two bottles together wouldn't work?

It will work but will be quite inaccurate if just the indicator bottle is poured into the acid. Because adding the indicator into the acid will at first place dilute the acid and on the second place some of the acid will be neutralised by the indicator solution because I assume it is with pH about 8.0- 8.3 (to match typical aquarium water). Also the amount of the indicator will depend on the acid used and might need different calibration of the colorimeter.

So I'm still a bit lost on how I can (if at all) try to DIY this Red Sea solution. Can I just get some Bromocresol Green and MEG?
I think making DIY RedSea solution will be quite challenging project. Not impossible but there are so many question marks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried to dissolve Salifert Indicator into their acid and it dissolves quite well no precipitation so far. Maybe they are just making it toxic? :D

If solubility of the dye is not the reason, either in the acid or in the salt water it is added to, then I have no idea why they would add organic solvents into the titration fluid.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I'm still a bit lost on how I can (if at all) try to DIY this Red Sea solution. Can I just get some Bromocresol Green and MEG? Also why the BOOO! about the BG @JimWelsh
It just makes it harder for the human eye to detect the endpoint correctly.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If solubility of the dye is not the reason, either in the acid or in the salt water it is added to, then I have no idea why they would add organic solvents into the titration fluid.
Viscosity increase to make better drops than with a runny solution?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viscosity increase to make better drops than with a runny solution?

Yes, that's a good point. It also lowers the surface tension, which would decrease the contact angle between the drop and the tip, maybe making it harder to drop loose, which on its face seems undesirable.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back