Mike Werner's impulse 28 gal.cube From day one.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,Today I set up a 28 gal.deep blue for no reason what so ever.No planning,no research and no expectations.I have no idea what i'm going to put in it. I just had this sweet setup sitting in the garage for a year doing nothing.I aquired the tank,sump and a return pump from a reefer that had it for about a year to give to my brother. It was a new tank the guy had set up and had to get rid of due to a job transfer.The brother plans got put on hold and the tank sat.
Built the stand today out of 2x4,scrubbed it up a little and set it up in the corner of the mancave/kids old bedroom with the main display tank.I convinced the wife it was not mine and I was "just holdin it for a friend "but as I set it up I knew.
As I said it's a 28 deep blue cube that's RR.I'm not a huge fan of an overflow in a 28 but maybe I'll grow cucumbers or beans up it if I get tired of looking at it.
The sump is an old "sea reef" that I had on a shelf in the basement for 15 years.It was used for a fresh water system that some"dude"had and looks brand new after all these years.Not much to it.It is missing a bubble baffle in the middle but just needs a piece of plex cut and slid into the old grooves.I'm not sure what i'm gonna put inside of it but this is just day 1.
The return pump is a sicce syncra 2.0.It came with the tank and a 15 gal glass sump that wouldn't fit under the tank and stand.It is adjustable and probably moves way to much water at full speed.I like my water to go slow in the sump but would like the advantage of no power head from the current it creates.Will see how that goes when I decide on stockingand what not.
The light will be supplied be a 165w vipar spectra with built in timer.Not a fan of the timer sense they can have a stroke for no apparent reason but my buddy had it new in the box and gave it to me so it's the best light ever.I'm not gonna mount it for a few weeks while I let the tank cycle.I did turn it on and hold it up over the tank and it covered the spread so to speak.the amount par will be decided on later.
I'll up date this thread with some pics when I decide what the heck to do with this thing.Until then i'll just watch a glass box that makes me have to go pee when I look at it

Oh and all while making these for the family.For those who don't know that's a Chesapeake bay soft crab sandwich.For those who do know your mouth is watering. I got a friend who sheds them so these are about three hours out of the water.i actually watched several I brought home molt before my eyes.It is probably as close as you'll ever get to seeing an inverts shed in your tank.

20180813_033831.jpg

20180813_025735.jpg

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,Today I set up a 28 gal.deep blue for no reason what so ever.No planning,no research and no expectations.I have no idea what i'm going to put in it. I just had this sweet setup sitting in the garage for a year doing nothing.I aquired the tank,sump and a return pump from a reefer that had it for about a year to give to my brother. It was a new tank the guy had set up and had to get rid of due to a job transfer.The brother plans got put on hold and the tank sat.
Built the stand today out of 2x4,scrubbed it up a little and set it up in the corner of the mancave/kids old bedroom with the main display tank.I convinced the wife it was not mine and I was "just holdin it for a friend "but as I set it up I knew.
As I said it's a 28 deep blue cube that's RR.I'm not a huge fan of an overflow in a 28 but maybe I'll grow cucumbers or beans up it if I get tired of looking at it.
The sump is an old "sea reef" that I had on a shelf in the basement for 15 years.It was used for a fresh water system that some"dude"had and looks brand new after all these years.Not much to it.It is missing a bubble baffle in the middle but just needs a piece of plex cut and slid into the old grooves.I'm not sure what i'm gonna put inside of it but this is just day 1.
The return pump is a sicce syncra 2.0.It came with the tank and a 15 gal glass sump that wouldn't fit under the tank and stand.It is adjustable and probably moves way to much water at full speed.I like my water to go slow in the sump but would like the advantage of no power head from the current it creates.Will see how that goes when I decide on stockingand what not.
The light will be supplied be a 165w vipar spectra with built in timer.Not a fan of the timer sense they can have a stroke for no apparent reason but my buddy had it new in the box and gave it to me so it's the best light ever.I'm not gonna mount it for a few weeks while I let the tank cycle.I did turn it on and hold it up over the tank and it covered the spread so to speak.the amount par will be decided on later.
I'll up date this thread with some pics when I decide what the heck to do with this thing.Until then i'll just watch a glass box that makes me have to go pee when I look at it

Ha! Very cool! My favorite lights are free lights as well. My 16” SB Reef Light is probably very similar. Best thing is they are easy to take apart when needed.

Blue_line_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh and all while making these for the family.For those who don't know that's a Chesapeake bay soft crab sandwich.For those who do know your mouth is watering. I got a friend who sheds them so these are about three hours out of the water.i actually watched several I brought home molt before my eyes.It is probably as close as you'll ever get to seeing an inverts shed in your tank.

20180813_033831.jpg

20180813_025735.jpg
Sounds like a perfect blue crab tank in the making. I see that you've subconsciously decorated the area just for that!

OP
OP
mike werner

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.I added the rubble to the bottom and the rock I had curing.The rubble and most of the rock started out dry and has been cycling for about two years in a Rubbermaid tub in the basement.I added a store bought shrimp to the tank to help the cycle.To my surprise the ammonia never spiked.Tested it with two different kits same result ever sense.So last week I got the brown uglies and I added a dozen snails.They have all survived so far and turned the rock back to its original color as you can see in the pic.
The aquascape is temporary but I like the way it rides up the back and covers the HUGE overflow.I may just ad to it and bring it up a little closer to the surface and the over flows intakes.That would almost completely camouflage the overflow from site.I have never liked the site of any equipment in the tank opting for the natural reef look.
Will see how it goes over the next few weeks.I'll start testing everything soon but for now i'll just watch an empty box of water and do a few water changes.It's not like I don't have a few other reefs to keep me satisfied while I figure out what to do (stock) this tank with.Until then i'll keep reading as many of every ones threads and posts as possible.You can never learn enough in this ever changing hobby.

Cheers,

Mike
20180923_015825_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.I added the rubble to the bottom and the rock I had curing.The rubble and most of the rock started out dry and has been cycling for about two years in a Rubbermaid tub in the basement.I added a store bought shrimp to the tank to help the cycle.To my surprise the ammonia never spiked.Tested it with two different kits same result ever sense.So last week I got the brown uglies and I added a dozen snails.They have all survived so far and turned the rock back to its original color as you can see in the pic.
The aquascape is temporary but I like the way it rides up the back and covers the HUGE overflow.I may just ad to it and bring it up a little closer to the surface and the over flows intakes.That would almost completely camouflage the overflow from site.I have never liked the site of any equipment in the tank opting for the natural reef look.
Will see how it goes over the next few weeks.I'll start testing everything soon but for now i'll just watch an empty box of water and do a few water changes.It's not like I don't have a few other reefs to keep me satisfied while I figure out what to do (stock) this tank with.Until then i'll keep reading as many of every ones threads and posts as possible.You can never learn enough in this ever changing hobby.

Cheers,

Mike
20180923_015825_HDR.jpg

Nice! I never showed any Ammonia in my tank either when I started it. The rock I matured and the live rock I added were ready to go. I did get some ugliness a couple of weeks in and seem to get little blooms if I disrupt the stability. Generally, the tank will tank care of that itself.

You have an empty slate there with that tank. Cannot wait to see what you decide.

OP
OP
mike werner

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the first fish last week out of qt.Yes that's a 1 inch hippo tang.Before the tang police show up on this thread you should know.He is only going to be in the tank till he grows another inch maybe less.He will be all alone for at least the next 6 weeks when the next batch of fish get out of qt.After he grows a little he will get transferred to the 200 gal. reef and be able to hang with the big dogs.
I think I'm gonna turn this tank into a nem tank using the rbt I have in one of my larger systems.It takes up a large space in the rock work that I really would like to use for acro's.I'm not sure what clowns I will go with but most likely a pair of Picasso.Will have to see what catches my eye at the lfs.

20181012_194723.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back