Mike's Red Sea XXL 750 build

DrMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my new tank should be here on Friday! I have been ordering and collecting my equipment for a little while now. I am going to follow the BRS/WWC Hybrid method for the most part. One of my first questions is about my return pump hard plumbing. I am going to do a manifold. I ordered the Abyzz A200 DC Controllable Pump (4,400 GPH) as my return pump. The inlet of the pump is 2 inches and the outlet is 1.5 inches. I don't know exactly what the dimension of the pipes on the red sea will be but I believe they are around 3/4 inch. My question is should I restrict the outlet of the pump to closely match the pipes of the Red Sea return or should I plumb everything at 1.5 inches and restrict the return to the tank? Thank you for the help!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the answer to this question:
Does Red Sea still ship their tanks using metric plumbing?

If you go to a good hardware store and ask, they have soft silicone or rubber pipe connectors. They come in both normal inline same size at both ends (good to cut down on vibration and noise) and in reduce/expand versions so you could go from a 2" off the pump (or some of it's plumbing) to a 1.5" pipe (or whatever the Red Sea plumbing size is).

IMHO, I make as much of the drain line to the pump at the 2" version that is the pump size. On the output side use the 1.5" up through the manifold and if you need to connect to a Red Sea metric line to make the return to the tank, you can use the same kind of connector. The reat of the manifold connections should all be us standard PVC sizes.

BTW, you can smear some plumbers silicone grease on the metal hose clamps to help keep them from rusting (they are always cheap stainless steel).

https://www.grainger.com/product/2Z..._kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916759717!!!g!327373017005!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back