Mike's Reefer 750XXL

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is officially time for a Red Sea Reefer 750XXL to enter my life.

Ive been keeping a close watch and waiting for the right time to pull the trigger. Ive been in the hobby for a little over 15 years. Started with a little bio cube, then a bigger bio cube, then a 120g, then back down to a reefer 250 (This was in prep for a human baby), then to a reefer XXL750 (today).

This is the planned build:

Items I currently have:
  • Reefer 750
    • I dont plan on modifying the stock plumbing quite yet, unless there is a solid case for it.
  • 3x Radion xr30 blues (from kessil)
  • Neptune Controller
  • Trident water testing
  • Spectrapure 5 stage RODI
    • 1 sediment, 1 carbon, RO, MaxCap Di followed by an eliminator DI canister.
    • This filtration system comes after our whole home water conditioning system (not a softener)
  • DOS (for AWC, which is currently setup for my 250)
    • Its a remote setup in the garage with 2x 25g reservoirs. Hoping to get these upgraded to 40 gallon
    • The garage is climate controlled.
  • 3x Kamoer dosing pumps
    • Really looking at the verses for the future
  • Ecotech M1
    • This is going to be feeding an ATS, carbon reactor, and chiller on a completely separate plumbing circuit.
  • Hydor Seltz D return pump
    • This is a little more than the return plumbing can handle, but I figured I could run the pump at a Lower level.
  • Ice Cap algae turf scrubber
  • BRS carbon reactor
  • DIY chiller
Items I need some guidance on:
  • ATO
    • ive been using an ice cap one for my smaller tank, but its finicky and usually causing problems. I am open to some advice
  • Any other items I might be missing?

Picked up the tank from my LFS and brought it to its new home!

tempImagehTi27q.jpg

As with most things, a little hiccup. Opening up the box to remove stuff from inside the tank, we noticed a busted sump. A bummer for sure, but hoping for a quick turn around from redsea!
tempImagemWMYZh.jpg

I plan on building the stand tomorrow and getting the display tank mounted. Atleast a broken sump will give me time to aquascape!

Weeble10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Looks like you’re setting up for a great, build.

OP
OP
Michael E.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates from today

Im sure i couldve done this without the crane....but why not.
tempImageaixc5Q.jpg

I brought my ecotech backup battery over from the old tank. Instead of purchasing another, i upgraded the battery inside. I went from an 18ah battery to a 30ah lithium. It fit perfectly! It amazed me how cheap that ecotech backup battery really is, and for how much cheaper you can DIY. The only special thing about it is the metal casing..
tempImageNx5EgV.jpg

OP
OP
Michael E.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice man! I had the 750 that I never setup but we bought a house with a perfect spot for a peninsula so i traded it for the 650P!

bummer about the sump!
Thats awesome! I love the peninsula idea. Being able to see all around the tank is something i wish would fit my house better.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome! I love the peninsula idea. Being able to see all around the tank is something i wish would fit my house better.

I thought about drilling the 750 and make it a Peninsula but a LFS about 8hrs away needed the 750 and was willing to get me the 650P so we traded worked out well for everyone.

I LOVE peninsula tanks I have a baby fiji cube 18.5( now 20g) nano peninsula tank love it too!

good luck with the build keep us posted!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates from today

Im sure i couldve done this without the crane....but why not.
tempImageaixc5Q.jpg

I brought my ecotech backup battery over from the old tank. Instead of purchasing another, i upgraded the battery inside. I went from an 18ah battery to a 30ah lithium. It fit perfectly! It amazed me how cheap that ecotech backup battery really is, and for how much cheaper you can DIY. The only special thing about it is the metal casing..
tempImageNx5EgV.jpg

on a completely unrelated topic....BUT is your island marble and if so how has it held up? we did did a marble island and love it!

I plan on a DIY backup or the icecap one its more affordable than the eco tech for sure.

OP
OP
Michael E.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a completely unrelated topic....BUT is your island marble and if so how has it held up? we did did a marble island and love it!

I plan on a DIY backup or the icecap one its more affordable than the eco tech for sure.
It’s actually quartz. We figured it was a little more durable with the little one running around. So far, it’s been pretty family Friendly. No complaints.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome build and setup!

OP
OP
Michael E.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-did the island on the right. Nice thing about it being held up is that I can really spend some time on the aquascape.

43FBE45F-01B6-4D21-B280-500564AF99EC.jpeg

this little one has an interest in the radions. She knows quality.

3ABDDCB6-7A0B-45E2-AB0E-75B47F5F645B.jpeg

sark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your helpers.

Sucks about the broken sump.
I like your idea of the DIY of backups. Can you tell us more on how to do it or maybe a new thread. I'm in the process of putting a 750XXL also-bought it used in great condition. Redoing the pipes.

OP
OP
Michael E.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does suck. What’s even worse is that the second sump also came damaged. So, next week I’ll hopefully have a sump. They should be able to get it right on round 3.

I’ll post a complete DIY on the battery, where to get the parts etc.

sark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does suck. What’s even worse is that the second sump also came damaged. So, next week I’ll hopefully have a sump. They should be able to get it right on round 3.

I’ll post a complete DIY on the battery, where to get the parts etc.
Wow, I can't believe it about the second sump. Good luck.
Appreciate the DIY battery info.

OP
OP
Michael E.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, fourth sump was a charm among other delays with some parts and misc equipment, we are finally up and running. Recently also switched from Redsea blue bucket salt to Brightwells mix. Compared to the RS mix, there is no precipitation in my reservoir.

Parameters are:
no3 - 10.4ppm
po4 - .04
kh - 8
ca - 480
mg - 1430
Sr - 6

Current Equipment:
-Ice cap ATS
-RO skimmer with C02 scrubber
- UV sterilizer
-Neptune monitoring with DOS auto water changes and automated RO reservoir refills
- ice cap ATO (hate it)
- Chiller
- 3 radio g5 blue (the 4th is getting added on friday
-2 red sea reefwave 45s running at 100%
- 2 ecotech MP40s running at 50%
- Vectra m2 return
- Vectra m1 for the filtration, reactors etc.
- GAC reactor
- 4x Export blocks in the sump
- Cooling fan for the chiller and electronic equipment
- the temps in the far right chamber were hitting the mid 100's. The fan keeps it down to 88 when the chiller is running

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1498.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back