**Mild Emergency** BNC Connector size for GHL Profilux

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nick_Turbo

Rogue Aquatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So to make a long story short, my lovely wife’s lovely rabbit got loose and chewed through almost all of the cables behind my massive aquarium. I'm hoping someone here would be able to tell me the proper size BNC connector for the probes on the GHL Profilux 4 so I can rewire this whole thing before my aquarium goes **** up.

OP
OP
Nick_Turbo

Nick_Turbo

Rogue Aquatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I know it - there is only one size of BNC connectors

Sincerely Lasse
Unfortunately, this is not the case. There are, in fact, a wide variety of BNC connector options. They are available in different sizes to fit 26 distinct types of coax cable. They range vastly not only in size but in coax wire type, signal protection and more than a few other factors.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this is not the case. There are, in fact, a wide variety of BNC connector options. They are available in different sizes to fit 26 distinct types of coax cable. They range vastly not only in size but in coax wire type, signal protection and more than a few other factors.
Sorry Nick - I guess I could have offered a bit more info.

Yes - there are different wire termination types - but they are all the same standard bayonet type.

If we want to split hairs there are two distinct BNC connector styles , 50 ohm and 75 ohm. They are interchangeable but vary slightly in the insulation and shielding (dielectric).

I did not look but would assume that GHL uses 50 Ohm connectors, which are standard for small signal (audio, video instrumentation, etc) as opposed to 75Ohm which are more often used for higher frequency signaling (TV, Radio, etc.)

That said, given the application and signal, I think you would be hard pressed to measure the difference on a scope, let alone the ADC of the Profilux. Would be an interesting test.

In any case, for your purposes, this is going to be tough unless GHL chimes in and tells you what type of coax is being used.

What is going to matter is OD of the cable and OD of the inner shield and to a less extend the wire AWG (it is likely 22 or smaller) fits inside the sleeve of the connector. You will need to cut the old one off and strip the wire to get measurements or at least an idea.

You will need a crimp tool - using pliers may work, depending on the brand of connector.

Personally - I would cut out the bad section and splice the wires back together with a western union splice on the center conductor and cover it with electrical tape, then pull the shielding back together from both sides and tape that as well. Ugly but will be much easier than you trying to find connectors to match the wire and learn to terminate.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is as Wester Union splice in its simplest form
1688428681373.png

The shielding would be pulled back (as well as any foil covering the inner dielectric) and a joint like above made (no need for solder, you will melt stuff if you are not used to soldering tiny connections like this) and then covered in tape.

Once that is secure (the inner wire can not touch the braided shield or foil) you would then pell the shield wires from both sides back over the connection and tape it all up.

I am sure there is more than one youtube video (I have never looked, but it is the accepted way to splice coax even if you shouldn't splice coax). Search for COAX SPLICE or something like that.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go

Not a bad job either.

You will be working with much smaller cable - but the premise holds. The smaller the shield disruption the better, but make sure the inner conductor and outer shield do not touch. You will not likely damage anything, but the readings will not work.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back