Millepora stn?

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this millepora colony for a few months now. When I bought it it was pink with light blue tips (hadn't been in the shop very long) placed it half way down the rock work and lost the colour in tips and slowly turned to a purple / brown colour but had great PE. Figured I'd try it higher in the tank (also in stronger flow) and although colour is now a lot better , I've got a lot less PE. Worst of all is it is now STNing from the base up ? Or is it where the upper branches are blocking light from the base ? If STN would you recommend fragging to save the colony ? Or is there another way to reverse the damage ? All other acros doing fine.

Nitrates 25- 30 ppm
20240504_213243.jpg

Phosphates 0.25 -0.30
Alkalinity 9.6
Calcium 460-470
Magnesium 1400

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it does look like stn from base up. I personally would try and frag off. May survive may not.

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably over the course of a couple of weeks , don't know the par levels. Only got 2 hydra 26 on a 4 foot tank so is possible there is some shading

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it does look like stn from base up. I personally would try and frag off. May survive may not.
If I was to frag would I be OK to cut anywhere above the affected area ? Would you mount back in the same spot after or go lower to begin with ?

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be from shading.
Is this over a day or week or month?
Got par? Flow?

Edit: looks like the whole base is white? Hard to see.
Yeah the entire base is white, got an mp40 and flow from the return pump directly in line with it so I don't think it's suffering from not enough flow

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct flow on the coral?
Definitely move it off of it. How close to the powerhead is it?
Roughly 18 inches away from the powerhead. It did have better PE with less flow ill try moving the powerhead slightly

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to frag would I be OK to cut anywhere above the affected area ? Would you mount back in the same spot after or go lower to begin with ?
Yes go above. Then if you have a frag rack not in direct line of light or flow till it heals and starts encrusting glue. That’s what I do. Then I place wherever. With the lights I run I can grow sps anywhere in tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back