Milwaukee Digital Refractometer

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smh........................

Shake your head?

You're the one on here having an argument with the way the manufacturer calibrates it's instrument. A instrument that you don't own.

If you don't like the instrument, that's fine. But why go on this thread and argue with me about what the manufacturer says is the proper way to calibrate their equipment?

I think you just want to hear yourself type and argue with someone.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt that Milwaukee tell's you to use DI to calibrate your meter. What I am saying is there are too many variables in an unknown solution (DI) to calibrate a refractometer accurately . If im shooting for 35ppt in my tanks, then why on earth would I buy a refractometer that will only calibrate to o ppt? Enjoy your refractometer and have a nice day sir. Im closed to this thread.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one and love it. You do have to use RODI or distilled water for calibration to 0. Then I'm sure you could check calibration using calibration solution if you want to. These devices are shown to be reliable, though...so I wouldn't worry. I would use calibration solution on a manual (regular?) refractometer...but this thing is digital and generally spot-on.

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the MA887 and use distilled water. Works great and is simple to use.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your RO RO/DI has no trace salt content in it? How many stage is the RO/DI unit? How exhausted are the membranes? What is the TDS reading? When you calibrate using o as your base, you are way too far away from your testing scale for all kinds of anomalies. This is why I kinda don't understand why electronic refractometers (Milwaukee) dont have an option to calibrate to anything but 1.000, or ro/di. There is no way to calibrate it to 1.025. Does'nt make much sense to me. If a refractometer has a deviation or margin of error of 1% per .001, that means that if you calibrate it to 1.000 with DI Water, that reading 1.025 might be as much as 25% off. Granted, this is a highly exaggerated situation for the purposes of explanation. That's why I only use a "Dial" in meter. I can take a know calibration solution of 1.025 and know my meter is dead on.

Milwaukee provides steam distilled water for 0.00 calibration and a 1.025 sample for validation of calibration. I think they are 100% on their game. Maybe back in March they didn't supply these solutions with the instrument?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milwaukee provides steam distilled water for 0.00 calibration and a 1.025 sample for validation of calibration. I think they are 100% on their game. Maybe back in March they didn't supply these solutions with the instrument?

The newer models and etc come with the 0.00 and 1.025 control samples. Older productions of the products did not. I recently purchased another digital refractometer and noticed the controls were provided. I found this to be pretty awesome.

maidia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newer models and etc come with the 0.00 and 1.025 control samples. Older productions of the products did not. I recently purchased another digital refractometer and noticed the controls were provided. I found this to be pretty awesome.

Good to know...I may buy one soon...Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you. You do that.

I don't know why you are arguing with the instructions of the instrument manufacturer anyway.

In this case they are OK, but in many cases of refractometers they are simply wrong because the devices are not intended for use in seawater. :)

Sadly, many reef aquarium resellers do not understand their own products.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back