OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.. I want to get one and wanted to make sure I did drop $100 on the wrong one..

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ma887 myself. Though I had to return the first one because the numbers jumped all over the place. The one I have now works flawlessly.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be using 2 buffer solutions to calibrate. PH 7.01 and PH 10.1 Milwaukee sells both. " two point calibration" . During a two - point calibration, the microprocessor based ph meter determines the real slope and offset error for the actual ph electrode.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to read the threads more carefully. My bad. But you still should be using a 1.025 calibration solution to dial in your meter.

OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It states in the manual that you can use RO/CI or distilled water and it tells you to calibrate before every use. You do not need a solution.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration fluid is tightly controlled and consistent by design. Not so with RO RO/DI. It is whatever the filter puts out and can be varied. When calibrating anything you want to use a solution which is as close to what you are measuring as possible. Think about it. Your targeting 1.025 and your dialing your meter in at 0.00 with RO or DI at unknown variables .

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration fluid is tightly controlled and consistent by design. Not so with RO RO/DI. It is whatever the filter puts out and can be varied. When calibrating anything you want to use a solution which is as close to what you are measuring as possible. Think about it. Your targeting 1.025 and your dialing your meter in at 0.00 with RO or DI at unknown variables .

Do you own a Milwaukee MA887? Nowhere in the instruction book does it say to use calibration fluid. In fact, when you push the calibration button, it calibrates to 0.0 not 1.025.

So using calibration fluid (which is 1.025) to zero the instrument would really screw you up.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your RO RO/DI has no trace salt content in it? How many stage is the RO/DI unit? How exhausted are the membranes? What is the TDS reading? When you calibrate using o as your base, you are way too far away from your testing scale for all kinds of anomalies. This is why I kinda don't understand why electronic refractometers (Milwaukee) dont have an option to calibrate to anything but 1.000, or ro/di. There is no way to calibrate it to 1.025. Does'nt make much sense to me. If a refractometer has a deviation or margin of error of 1% per .001, that means that if you calibrate it to 1.000 with DI Water, that reading 1.025 might be as much as 25% off. Granted, this is a highly exaggerated situation for the purposes of explanation. That's why I only use a "Dial" in meter. I can take a know calibration solution of 1.025 and know my meter is dead on.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When calibrating at o ppt , there is too much margin for error for my liking. I'll stick with my dial in meters and known solutions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 247

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back