are Milwaukee Refractos worth it?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not for me. A good standard refractometer (with a calibration screw) has been sufficient for me. I do recommend calibrating monthly or before use if longer and use a 35ppt calibration solution so you're calibrating at approx level of your mix. The cost for a getting a digital readout just isn't there for me but I'm a pretty manual type guy.

Secondly, I run softies/lps and don't fixate on precise parameters and hyper stability generally.

Lastly, in nature salinity varies on reefs due to location, rain run off, river discharge, etc so measuring to the nth point seems a bit overkill.

However, if you're the type of person who needs that sense of being accurate as possible it could very well be worth the cost to you.

OP
OP
C

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for that comprehensive response. Can i just use rodi water to calibrate? I don’t have calibration fluid.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Definitely worth it. They are fast and easy to test, and almost never drifts off calibration. I have two that I use and they get calibrated every 6 months or so.

I hate the hand held refractometers. They drift off calibration way too often and I always struggle to read the numbers.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, but I know others who don’t like them. I haven’t needed to calibrated mine in years, but I do regularly test it with a diy validation solution.

Also, for the Milwaukee digital refractometer it has to be calibrated at 0 with either distilled or rodi water.

OP
OP
C

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought an $18 one online and when picked it up, I noticed that it was about 1/3 of the weight of the one i bought 15 years ago. I guess they don’t make em like they used to?

OP
OP
C

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, but I know others who don’t like them. I haven’t needed to calibrated mine in years, but I do regularly test it with a diy validation solution.

Also, for the Milwaukee digital refractometer it has to be calibrated at 0 with either distilled or rodi water.
thanks for your feedback.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Milwaukee digital that I have never had any problems with but I also Have a Vee gee Scientific Refractometer that never drifts and is my favorate and very dependable for me.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like buying from Amazon if nothing else they will refund you and pay for shipping. I just bought a Reactor from Aquarium Speciality and I have to pay to return it and 10% Restocking fee

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just bought mine last week from premium aquatics, and used their 10% off discount. Out the door was $102.60
once i stopped overthinking how to use it, and started using it, it has become a lot easier.
I'm getting consistent readings, which is my main goal. I do have a manual refractometer as a back up as well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back