Milwaukee Digital Refractometer

ataller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My digital refractometer appears to be out of calibration. Using RODI I will zero the unit and then test my sample.

When I test known calibration solutions at 35 ppt, they always read 37ppt.
I have two different calibration solutions and they both report 37ppt.

I have been running my tank at 37ppt as per the refractometer assuming that it is actually 35ppt.

Does this sound reasonable? Should I buy another method of testing salinity ?
Should I trash this Milwaukee ? It is around 4 years old.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My digital refractometer appears to be out of calibration. Using RODI I will zero the unit and then test my sample.

I have been running my tank at 37ppt as per the refractometer assuming that it is actually 35ppt.

I was always under the impression that one needs to calibrate these things at or near 35ppt.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are right. Might be time for a new meter. However, the one thing I will note is that salinity measurements by different meters are never the same.

I have 3 relatively new meters less than a year old and after calibration with their reference fluids get different readings:
Hanna: 35.6ppt
GHL: 34.4ppt
Other probe: 37ppt

They are probably all "right" using their measument methodologies.

I'm using my GHL as my "right" salinity. In the end, stability is probably what's more important.

OP
OP
A

ataller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are right. Might be time for a new meter. However, the one thing I will note is that salinity measurements by different meters are never the same.

I have 3 relatively new meters less than a year old and after calibration with their reference fluids get different readings:

I'm using my GHL as my "right" salinity. In the end, stability is probably what's more important.
Probably best if I pick up a secondary to reference.

For now I’ll leave everything at “37” which based on the reference solutions should actually be 35.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Because it's calibrated by zeroing out with RODI they're always about .2 ppt off.

Should have been made to calibrate using a .35 solution.

The ones I know mix to about .33ppt with that meter.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found two things with that meter that now allows me to get consistent, accurate readings. One is to make sure you completely fill the lens with the sample water....almost completely covering the silver area. The second is to let the sample sit for a minimum of a minute before reading.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 on stability is what matters when you're generally in the acceptable range. That being said, I also get different readings when I use my calibration standard solution on my Milwaukee MA887, my Apex salinity probe (which is finally appropriately calibrated---what a pain), and my old manual refractometer even when all are testing room-temperature equilibrated sample. I've given up stressing about it as long as the readings aren't that far off of each other. I aim for an average of 1.025 SG / 33.5 ppt between Milwaukee and Apex under the theory that if I'm actually at 1.024 - 1.026, then I'm fine.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which video your watching, but they suggest to use distilled water, not RO/DI. It does make a difference.
They do say this but Dr. Holmes-Farley debunked this exact point a couple weeks ago on another thread. If I can find it, I'll post a link

jgsolo32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to send mine back to Milwaukee Instruments(on my dime, $18) as it started to read at 1.008 after 2 months of use. Got a Tropic Marin Hydrometer. Much better or at least get this as a back up.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth making Randy’s diy calibration solution and seeing if that reads at 35ppm, do a search for @Randy Holmes-Farley and you’ll find it, all you need is a 0.01g scale from Amazon for around $20, some table salt, and rodi water.
You are righ to use rodi water for that model but the diy recipe should still read 35, you have to be very precise with the measurements, if a little nervous at getting the measurements accurate just double or triple the salt and rodi water which will help reduce any measurement mistakes.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth making Randy’s diy calibration solution and seeing if that reads at 35ppm, do a search for @Randy Holmes-Farley and you’ll find it, all you need is a 0.01g scale from Amazon for around $20, some table salt, and rodi water.
You are righ to use rodi water for that model but the diy recipe should still read 35, you have to be very precise with the measurements, if a little nervous at getting the measurements accurate just double or triple the salt and rodi water which will help reduce any measurement mistakes.
This^^^. Anyone who uses a refractometer should make their own calibration/reference solution. My scales aren't very accurate so I just scaled up the amount by a lot. It's just table salt and rodi water so even scaled up it costs almost nothing to make.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on stability is what matters when you're generally in the acceptable range. That being said, I also get different readings when I use my calibration standard solution on my Milwaukee MA887, my Apex salinity probe (which is finally appropriately calibrated---what a pain), and my old manual refractometer even when all are testing room-temperature equilibrated sample. I've given up stressing about it as long as the readings aren't that far off of each other. I aim for an average of 1.025 SG / 33.5 ppt between Milwaukee and Apex under the theory that if I'm actually at 1.024 - 1.026, then I'm fine.
Whoa whoa whoa, you actually got your apex probe to work correctly? I have, over the last week, attempted 12+ methods/times to get it to work and finally settled on “close” at 32.5 being stable at 35.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa whoa whoa, you actually got your apex probe to work correctly? I have, over the last week, attempted 12+ methods/times to get it to work and finally settled on “close” at 32.5 being stable at 35.
After several tries of getting mine to work it finally does, now I'm afraid to touch it. I was getting ready to install a diy VCA salinity probe stability kit when it started working. I've heard good things about them.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back