Milwaukee MA887 Calibration

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2024
Messages
1,629
Reaction score
1,159
Location
Sacramento
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to calibrate the Milwaukee MA887 refractometer?

I re-zeroed it using the steamed distilled reference 0 PPT water. now it's reading 4 PPT higher than it should. PIA. I can't find it in the instructions or on YouTube videos

They all discuss zeroing the equipment, not calibration. Those are not the same thing
1000002935.jpg
 
I have/use the same digital refractometer. AFAIK, the zeroing process using pure water is the only way a user can configure/prepare the instrument for accurate readings. There is not a separate calibration process that can be done by the end-user.

I have compared my MA887 against my Tropic Marin precision hydrometer multiple times and found that when my hydrometer indicated a specific gravity between 1.026 and 1.027 (my target) in my tank, the Milwaukee refractometer would read 36 ppt (instead of 35). So I just use 36 as my mixing/testing target. Your unit may be slightly different based on the factory calibration, so worth double-checking against some other method from time to time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new