Milwaukee MC120 pH monitor sump installation questions/tips

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to install my pH monitor probe in the sump. Several concerns:

1) When the water level goes up (say after a power outage or when return pump is turned off) the probe will be fully immersed in water. I'm assuming the probe and wire on top is water tight so this shouldn't be an issue?

2) When the water level goes down (during "normal" fluctuations), the probe tip will be exposed to air. I'm assuming this shouldn't be an issue as long as it's not to long? Should the probe tip be immersed close to the bottom of the sump?

3) I'm considering putting the probe into the return pump (last) chamber. Any thoughts or tips?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I got my probe holder, I used to drop my Milwaukee probe on the bottom of my sump, completely submerged. It lasted as long as the probe that sits partially submerged in my probe holder now. Bottom line, I would not worry if it got submerged, but I would avoid it drying out as much as possible. That’s my thoughts...

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I got my probe holder, I used to drop my Milwaukee probe on the bottom of my sump, completely submerged. It lasted as long as the probe that sits partially submerged in my probe holder now. Bottom line, I would not worry if it got submerged, but I would avoid it drying out as much as possible. That’s my thoughts...
What probe holder are you using? I'm using the simply suction cup holder that came with the kit.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What probe holder are you using? I'm using the simply suction cup holder that came with the kit.
I use a magnetic probe holder from Sea Side Aquatics. I believe I got this on Amazon. The water depth doesn't fluctuate much in my sump, so I don't have much problem with my probes getting submerged, unless I have a power outage, and even then my water level might get to the bottom of that probe holder.
IMG_6783[1].JPG

IMG_6783[1].JPG

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a fill hole in the side of the probe (just below the wide dark part in the diagram below) , be certain it is fully covered in the probe may go underwater.

1607621855349.png

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a fill hole in the side of the probe (just below the wide dark part in the diagram below) , be certain it is fully covered in the probe may go underwater.

1607621855349.png
Instructions state 2.5cm of probe to be submerged, so I'm assuming there is no hole as noted in the diagram. My goal will be to keep the probe (at least the upper portion) above the water line. But in practice, this may prove to be difficult since the sump water level varies, especially when the return pump is off and the sump fills up.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a magnetic probe holder from Sea Side Aquatics. I believe I got this on Amazon. The water depth doesn't fluctuate much in my sump, so I don't have much problem with my probes getting submerged, unless I have a power outage, and even then my water level might get to the bottom of that probe holder.
IMG_6783[1].JPG

IMG_6783[1].JPG
I wish there was a probe holder that allowed the probe to float and would move up and down with water level. Does anyone know if this (or something similar) exists?

hemiroyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was a probe holder that allowed the probe to float and would move up and down with water level. Does anyone know if this (or something similar) exists?
Could a small piece of styrofoam with a hole cut to hold the PH probe work? You'll have to have the probe at least 3/4 through for proper balancing. As long as tip or sensor is not covered. It'll float and go up and down with the water level

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a small piece of styrofoam with a hole cut to hold the PH probe work? You'll have to have the probe at least 3/4 through for proper balancing. As long as tip or sensor is not covered. It'll float and go up and down with the water level

That should work OK. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back