Question: About the salinity probe

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we all have problems with our Salinity probes. But I have a question, how long can this Apex probe be out of the water and still hold it's setting?
For instance my probe is mounted in my tank. My 100gal sump is some 14ft away from my tanks. When I do a larger water change or shut off the
main pump for feeding corals. At that point it is totally exposed for some 20 to 30 mins. Will it loose it's calibration? And just how long can I have it out of the water, before loosing my settings? I am currently setting on one 53,000 test kit as of right now and I want to calibrate it soon...
Thanks... help

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clean salinity probe won't be damaged or change calibration by drying out (unlike a pH probe).

You don't want to dry salty deposits down onto it, so I'd give it a rinse in RO/DI if it is going to be outside the tank water.

If there is algae or bacteria on it, it may change calibration by having those things, and removing them is good regardless of drying out or not.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You Randy.. I just knew you would know. I have always been stumped on this, I have not calibrated salinity for some time now. Thank you today is the day..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back