Salinity probe

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex salinity probe seems to be malfunctioning. It’s just over a year old which is a little disappointing. I have tried calibrating it, but without success. Any tips? If not, is there a budget friendly way to monitor salinity through apex? It’s nice to have an alarm set in the event one of the pumps or auto water top offs malfunctions

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested for stray voltage? Put the probe in a cup of tank water and let it sit to see if it stays settled or does the same thing. Also, have you rerouted the cable or other cables recently? There may be interference from something else.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. You’re right. You just saved me like $200 so you should have some good karma headed your way. Thanks

What exactly was the issue?

Stray voltage may or may not be an issue for the apex device itself (no idea about its internal workings), but voltage is not typically a source of issues for a conductivity probe. Those use a high frequency AC to avoid a number of problems that would arise from DC or lower frequency AC.

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly was the issue?

Stray voltage may or may not be an issue for the apex device itself (no idea about its internal workings), but voltage is not typically a source of issues for a conductivity probe. Those use a high frequency AC to avoid a number of problems that would arise from DC or lower frequency AC.

The issue was inaccurate readings, very low which did not correlate with refractoneter. Calibrations did not seem to work. I have a cabinet with a next if wires and one of them ran thru that. I pulled to cord out from that and ran it separately and re calibrated it. It’s still reading a little low, about 0.5 off from refractometer, but in a way that seems more trustable. I don’t think it was the plug was loose because I checked that but I suppose it could also be a loose wire that I jiggled back in place when I pulled the wire out. But, maybe it’s still faulty. Time will tell.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue was inaccurate readings, very low which did not correlate with refractoneter. Calibrations did not seem to work. I have a cabinet with a next if wires and one of them ran thru that. I pulled to cord out from that and ran it separately and re calibrated it. It’s still reading a little low, about 0.5 off from refractometer, but in a way that seems more trustable. I don’t think it was the plug was loose because I checked that but I suppose it could also be a loose wire that I jiggled back in place when I pulled the wire out. But, maybe it’s still faulty. Time will tell.

Ok, thanks for the info. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back