PH Question (Hydros)

gt4profession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been always checking my PH with the Hanna Checker and recently went with the Hydros system and setup the PH probe. I used the liquid to calibrate it but it never got to where it needed be (the calibration liquid) the 7.0, 10.0 and 4.0. so my question is when checking with the Hanna checker I am getting higher PH compared to the Hydros Probe. Should I adjust the Hydros to match that of Hanna?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why you are so concerned about the pH level in your tank. In most tanks it is what it is and there isn't much you can do about in the big picture.

What are the readings for each test system? How far apart are they?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You c
So I have been always checking my PH with the Hanna Checker and recently went with the Hydros system and setup the PH probe. I used the liquid to calibrate it but it never got to where it needed be (the calibration liquid) the 7.0, 10.0 and 4.0. so my question is when checking with the Hanna checker I am getting higher PH compared to the Hydros Probe. Should I adjust the Hydros to match that of Hanna?
You can adjust it if you’d like. When I calibrate my Hydros PH probes, after I calibrate I double check all the 4/7/10 fluids and as long as they’re reading those fine, that’s the probe I stick with. My Hannah pen probe is all over the place and I’ll occasionally calibrate it and immediately do a spot check of tank PH to make sure it’s within a decent range to my Hydros probe. I think it’s really personal preference for which one you think is the accurate way to go. Just focus on not consistency once you make your decision.

OP
OP
gt4profession

gt4profession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why you are so concerned about the pH level in your tank. In most tanks it is what it is and there isn't much you can do about in the big picture.

What are the readings for each test system? How far apart are they?
Hanna’s reading 8.2 and Hydros is reading 7.54. I am concerned because I am using iV by hydros to check my alkalinity and it runs of the PH.

OP
OP
gt4profession

gt4profession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You c

You can adjust it if you’d like. When I calibrate my Hydros PH probes, after I calibrate I double check all the 4/7/10 fluids and as long as they’re reading those fine, that’s the probe I stick with. My Hannah pen probe is all over the place and I’ll occasionally calibrate it and immediately do a spot check of tank PH to make sure it’s within a decent range to my Hydros probe. I think it’s really personal preference for which one you think is the accurate way to go. Just focus on not consistency once you make your decision.
Thanks, just looking to find out which one I should stick with. I fully understand that our hobby test kits are exactly that, hobby. Again thanks.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just looking to find out which one I should stick with. I fully understand that our hobby test kits are exactly that, hobby. Again thanks.
I’d personally just run with the Hydros. As long as you do the exact same calibration method each time, that will remove the Hanna from at least the back and forth trying to figure out which one to use. Just spot check it once a week or so to make sure it’s at least close and monitor to see if Hydros starts to drift.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back