Mimic saddle puffer OR Valentini Puffer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eva Rose
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Eva Rose

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2016
Messages
860
Reaction score
1,305
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone share experiences or advice on either the Mimic Saddle Puffer (a filefish) (Paraluterus prionurus) OR the true Valentini puffer it mimics in a reef tank...
-Which picks less @ LPS & soft corals?
-Does either pester other fish (nip fins etc.)?
-I've heard the Mimic (Paraluterus prionurus) is often reluctant to feed, once in the display tank (if is housed with more active fish (like tangs or anthias). I don't know anyone who has owned a Valentini.
My husband really wants one ( either species). But I'm researching them first.
 
I have a valentini puffer

1. He does not nip at coral very much
2. No problems with nipping or aggression (keep in mind I have heard of some nipping at fins)
3. He eats like a pig.

The only complaint I have is that he will eat an occasional snail or hermit. I would not keep one in a tank with small inverts.
 
I have a valentini puffer

1. He does not nip at coral very much
2. No problems with nipping or aggression (keep in mind I have heard of some nipping at fins)
3. He eats like a pig.

The only complaint I have is that he will eat an occasional snail or hermit. I would not keep one in a tank with small inverts.
Thanks!
 
I've found them both to be fairly comperable. Each may nip a little, but usually not too bad.
 
Hermits and snails may get picked on, but anything bigger should be fine.
 
I'd get the valentini. Even if it picks at coral, it's worth it. I've never owned a fish I enjoyed more! They eat like pigs and will quickly become a favourite.
I'll be getting another when my new build is up and running :D
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new