Mini nems stuck to rock, how can I frag?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few pic's of my two nems the other night, they suck but I am no pro at pic's...

They are pretty firmly attached to the LR and I am thinking of fragging them, anyone ever just cut them in the tank right on the rocks?

This guy ate my Lyretail Anthias last week...:sure:

DSCN2608.jpg

And this is my first, it is getting pretty big, time to frag....:tongue:

DSCN2635.jpg

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll have to find a way to get them off the rock before you cut them. As soon as you put a blade to them they're going to retract as far as they can into the rock. Good luck! I've got a couple nems I can't get out of a rock in my display...

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know with BTA's I've had luck with aiming a powerhead toward them and they will crawl away from the flow.

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long tweezers with an ice cube to the foot and he should let go.....good luck

btw, i love that goniastrea in pic #1

stan13ag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck, those things are super sticky. If you figure out a good way let us know.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take the rock out? If so you need to be very careful and get under the foot.
I just fragged 4 of them myself. I try to keep mine in clam shells cuz right now they're in my 24g with alot of chalice and acans and I dont want them to move. I just set up a 12g nano for them to be by themselves.
I also thought the shells would be easier to get them out. Well they really suck on to whatever theyre on.
I had a cpl go on the rock and removed them by getting my nail (I have long fingernails) under the foot and prying gently taking time.
I used different methods with the shells. 1 I couldnt get out it was to stuck but about a day after me bothering it trying to get it out it moved on its own.
I did try a frozen fish food pack (didnt have ice) on its foot but it didnt work for me lol.
I cut 1 of the shells and it cracked all over and got the nem out like pealing a hard boiled egg. When I did this I noticed when I had it upside down the weight of it plus my prying under the foot a little made it realease so the next one I turned upside down and pryed carefully and it popped out pretty easy.
I had 1 that was embedded in a hole in a rock so I took my bonecutter to the rock.
I dont think it's a good idea to cut them in the tank on the rock. On Kraylens video he says to seperate the halves. They also should be dipped in lugols for 5 minutes or so to help them heal.

If anyones interested in putting them in shells (sometimes they move out but they usually stay. If I see them escaping I put them back lol) I found cockle shells to work good. I got some at my LFS and some at a hobby lobby a craft store. You just want the plain shells not laquered. Cockles are usually white and pink or yellow.
You want them big enough for the nem to lay out in.

Heres some picts of some of mine in shells.

Picture263.jpg

Picture270-1.jpg

I hope this helps. They arent easy to get off so be carefull you dont injure them or the foot in the process. Go slow. If they do get injured put them back and wait a few days before you try again.

kass

Last edited:
OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kass,

Mine are unfortunately attached to some of the biggest rocks in the tank, and they just so happen to be on the bottom of the pile....

But when I do get them out I do have quite a few Tridacnid clam shells to put them in so I might try that.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back