Minimalist (a.k.a. cheap) Controller Alternatives?

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are people using to control their tanks without going the normal controller route?

In the past I've used an Apex. I've done a bunch of "new" research into the current Apex and GHL models, but I really don't want to spend $500-$1000+.

I'm looking for minimalist/cheap ideas.

Currently I have 3x AI HD 32s, so they are controlled by their internal schedules.

I'm also using an Inkbird controller with my two 200W heaters as safety/backup.

I just received my order of an AHRise Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip (AHR-083). It has 4 Wi-Fi controllable outlets and 4 always on outlets. I'm using two of the Wi-Fi outlets to control the sump light and skimmer (both will run overnight).

Not really much else I'd want/need to run at this time. I don't currently dose anything or do any other "special" things.

I'm trying to keep this go-around simpler, so hit me with other ideas.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A potential option could be smart outlets? You can buy them as single modules at most big box stores. They have one outlet and hook up to a phone app, where you can set timers and other surprisingly complex things. I do not do this myself (though I want to) but I got the idea from a ReefDudes video on Youtube.
Check it out if you get the chance! The outlets are ><$20 each.

U

User1

View Badges
DIY reef raspberry / pi
DIY reef arduino
Open source: Reef Angel

Those three come to mind. I own and used a Reef Angel for about 6 years. Base entry will do what you want and more. Addons to control more. Probably has the best custom libraries hands down regardless of open source or over the counter. The geo location, tide, and weather code is amazing based on the primary control loop rather than married to a ramp up/down light schedule.

In any case those are your options. May be more or simple like a wifi enabled surge plug or smart plug.

Edit: As part of my upgrade recently I switched to Apex as I knew the trident was coming out otherwise I'd still be using the RA. I may convert my lighting back to it though...

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A potential option could be smart outlets? You can buy them as single modules at most big box stores. They have one outlet and hook up to a phone app, where you can set timers and other surprisingly complex things. I do not do this myself (though I want to) but I got the idea from a ReefDudes video on Youtube.
Check it out if you get the chance! The outlets are ><$20 each.

I've seen those.

I think it's similar to the AHRise I mentioned above, except it's one or two outlets. The AHRise is powerstrip with 8 total outlets. Four of them are "smart" and can be controlled over WiFi with their smartphone app, Google, or Amazon devices.

I could have just dug out my NetAduino/Arduino stuff and written a small program to use with my relays. It would have been the same, but not in since a "clean" package.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not much of a controller but you can use wifi power strips to turn things on and off when you're away.
Depending on what you want to do though, you end up getting somewhat close to the price of an Apex EL without everything being in just one app.
If you're techy you can make it super functional though

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are people using to control their tanks without going the normal controller route?

In the past I've used an Apex. I've done a bunch of "new" research into the current Apex and GHL models, but I really don't want to spend $500-$1000+.

I'm looking for minimalist/cheap ideas.

Currently I have 3x AI HD 32s, so they are controlled by their internal schedules.

I'm also using an Inkbird controller with my two 200W heaters as safety/backup.

I just received my order of an AHRise Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip (AHR-083). It has 4 Wi-Fi controllable outlets and 4 always on outlets. I'm using two of the Wi-Fi outlets to control the sump light and skimmer (both will run overnight).

Not really much else I'd want/need to run at this time. I don't currently dose anything or do any other "special" things.

I'm trying to keep this go-around simpler, so hit me with other ideas.
Why do yo feel the need to add a controller? It sounds like you have it pretty well taken care of.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about doing RoboTank with ReefPi. I am not a techno but it boils down to open source software and hardware for a lot less than the brand name. Still making my wish lists. You can find out more about it by Google RoboTank or look at forums here by searching Reef Pi on this site. Ranjib and Robsworld78 have been on ground floor of this. A lot of reading, enough to peak my interest.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do yo feel the need to add a controller? It sounds like you have it pretty well taken care of.

That's the thing, I don't feel the need to add one (or spend crazy money on something new).

Was just looking for other simpler/cheaper alternatives people are using to help run their tanks.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY reef raspberry / pi
DIY reef arduino
Open source: Reef Angel

Those three come to mind. I own and used a Reef Angel for about 6 years. Base entry will do what you want and more. Addons to control more. Probably has the best custom libraries hands down regardless of open source or over the counter. The geo location, tide, and weather code is amazing based on the primary control loop rather than married to a ramp up/down light schedule.

In any case those are your options. May be more or simple like a wifi enabled surge plug or smart plug.

Edit: As part of my upgrade recently I switched to Apex as I knew the trident was coming out otherwise I'd still be using the RA. I may convert my lighting back to it though...
I agree with the above, and actualy @saf1 is one of the people i talked to, and a reason I bought the RA star for my new 72 build. Im about at the point that i can code it now. Although i wont have the lighting control as i went with Ai hydras, I went with powerheads that have 0-10 v control so i can use the libraries for tides and such. Im techy to begin with, so it seemed like a fun time. I wont be doing a whole lot in the beginning other than ATO, on and off for waterchanges, and feed modes, but plan to do automatic skimmer kill via a float switch if the cup gets full, and monitoring of my ato reservoir, and considering auto water changes etc.
The community is great, and the owner is a top notch guy that will take care of his users and customers.

I had an issue with my relay box when i was wiring everything. I messaged him, and got a response immediately. he shipped me a new one at no cost to me at all. Customer Service is a big thing to me. Definitely dont count it out. Ill be outlining my experience over in my build thread as i pull the controller off the tank so i can push the initial program via the wizard, then i can do remote code changes, and push to it wirelessly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back