Minimum tank size for smallest shark?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smallest shark is going to get to at least 30" in length. So you're looking at a 7-9 foot tank, and 300-500 gallons minimum, preferably larger.
One of the most commonly available "small" shark in the hobby is the coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus), which grows to 28 inches long. 300-500 gallons minimum sounds reasonable for this species, which I would love to keep someday... someday @WheatToast...

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
6' x 4' x 20" would be the absolute minimum for a Grey Bamboo (20"-24" in captivity) or a Coral Catshark (24" in captivity).

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just size but active style, also.

Epaulette don't move much. Others might want to explore. 4x4 foot tank might work because diagonally it's about six feet and probably more actual usable space then typical length exceeding width. Yet that's possibly still too small. Had a client who built a room size tank and was trying to add a black tip. Don't know if ever did but that seemed cramp, too. Oddly, his Epaulette just hovered around one rock and felt it was boring. Offered to give it to me for free but had no place for it. Best not buy that which later might not find one wanting or able to house it. Public aquariums probably have more than enough and those of us with big enough few and likely not all within driving distance. Shipping an unwanted something with today's prices and those carelessly handling said packages should be considered because if large enough was already available then likely question not being asked. I'll get off my soap box :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back