Minimum tank size site recommendations

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking for fish minimum tank size who do you trust. I'm asking because i was told live aquaria is terrible.
Screenshot_20210712-205218.png
Screenshot_20210712-205119.png

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria is an excellent resource for things like this. In fact you'll find a lot of other online retailers just copy and paste their information.

Upvote 0

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt trust someone selling you something. Look at their recommendations on eels.

I look at a full grown specimen & see how active it is then make a judgement call.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd argue if anything liveaquaria recommends smaller tanks than they should. Drreefsquarantinedfish.com is a good one too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Liveaquaria seems good on tank size recommendations.

Remember it's not all about tank size though, other tank mates, hiding/sleeping spots etc come into play too and just as important.
Ur absolutely right but i was kinda looking more into who's tank size requirements would be better to go by

Upvote 0

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur absolutely right but i was kinda looking more into who's tank size requirements would be better to go by

TBH if you're expecting to get the most, best and always accurate data from one source you're in the wrong hobby *wink* *wink*

Just google search each fish and go through 4-5 reputable sites.

Or even "[fish name] care"

If you're specifically wondering in terms of dwarf angels I'm keeping one very happily right now in a 40G.

I think any dwarf could be kept comfortably in a 40G at least for 3-4 years, some of the larger ones might need to go bigger once they grow a bit, you'll know from stress swimming signs if they're unhappy.

Unfortunately, it's normally not long after they commit suicide or die from stress weakening their immune system and opening them to something else.

IMHO most of these sites recommend on a large side as well to avoid someone coming after them later and saying "you said" and "i did" and then "this happened"

Re: LiveAquaria vs Bluezoo on this one, I'd say 30G is too small, and 70G is much too big... i.e. 50G is the perfect medium.... funny they did that..... in general LiveAquaria is more on the money IMO.

Upvote 1

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH if you're expecting to get the most, best and always accurate data from one source you're in the wrong hobby *wink* *wink*

Just google search each fish and go through 4-5 reputable sites.

Or even "[fish name] care"

If you're specifically wondering in terms of dwarf angels I'm keeping one very happily right now in a 40G.

I think any dwarf could be kept comfortably in a 40G at least for 3-4 years, some of the larger ones might need to go bigger once they grow a bit, you'll know from stress swimming signs if they're unhappy.

Unfortunately, it's normally not long after they commit suicide or die from stress weakening their immune system and opening them to something else.

IMHO most of these sites recommend on a large side as well to avoid someone coming after them later and saying "you said" and "i did" and then "this happened"

Re: LiveAquaria vs Bluezoo on this one, I'd say 30G is too small, and 70G is much too big... i.e. 50G is the perfect medium.... funny they did that..... in general LiveAquaria is more on the money IMO.

Exactly, I never take the first bit of advice I get and go with it, I research many different sources, then go with what feels right.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I answered your question in the first line of my reply :rolleyes:

But as said above, look around at different sites and get a feeling for what is acceptable, even a post on here will get many different opinions.

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking for fish minimum tank size who do you trust. I'm asking because i was told live aquaria is terrible.
Screenshot_20210712-205218.png
Screenshot_20210712-205119.png

This is actually a pretty good site for that. Flame angel, I would say a standard 75-standard 90 gallon is best for life. Any other specific fishes?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel in my 90 gallon and wish I didn't. He's a jerk.

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends. I have a powder brown tang in a 300 gallon 6’ by 3’ by 27”. And he acts like he needs a bigger tank like 10‘ or 12’, The yellow tang and kole tang in the tank are fine. I think it varies by the temperament of the individual fish. And things get complex fast when you add fish. Some fish are more aggressive than others even members of the same species. And fish develop grudges. I had two fish that picked on a new arrival (different new arrivals). Then things settled down. All was good. But the new guy held a grudge and got bigger and murdered the bully. So it is all by guess and by gosh.

Upvote 0

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this site and most others grossly overstates the minimum tank sizes.

In my experience it's more about water quality than area. Although I'll qualify that by acknowledging my experience with small tanks is very limited and generally only used for quarantine that usually doesn't last more than a few months.

Basically what ever live aquaria or the general population here suggests you can divide it by 2 or 3 and be fine if you can keep the water quality up.

My experience with keeping some fish in much smaller aquariums than what would be recommended as follows:

Flame Angel - Kept in a 16g cube for almost a year. Obviously felt bad for the fish and it was not a long term situation but the fish was just fine with no signs of stress or disease. The guy I gave it to put it in a 90g and within 6 months was dead. It's more about the fish keeper / water quality / inhabitants than the tank size.

Clown Fish - Quarantine in 6 gal cube lasted probably close to 6 months with no issues. The truth is that in nature you can see the same 2 or 3 fish in the same anemone year after year, and sometimes that anemone / rock is no bigger than 8''x8''x8''. So what is that? About 2 gallons for 3 fish?

Royal Gramma - Have also kept in 6 gal cube for months at a time with no issues. When they go into the 120g the only time they journey more than a couple inches away from their little rock is during feeding time. So again probably a 2-3 gallon tank for those if you can keep the water quality up.

Banggai Cardingal - Same as Royal Gramma.

Blue Hippo Tang - Have one in a 40g breeder sump tank for the last 6 months or so as he started chewing on my favorite zoa colony after 7 years in the display tank. Looks as good as the day he went in there.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back