Mirror background.. can I paint it?

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a tank, and failed to realize the back of it is a mirror. Can I paint over that black so it doesn’t stress out the fish? Or can I somehow build a rock wall?
-Mikey’s gf

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a tank, and failed to realize the back of it is a mirror. Can I paint over that black so it doesn’t stress out the fish? Or can I somehow build a rock wall?
-Mikey’s gf
Can we get a photo?

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you absolutely must cover it, I am going to go with the acrylic idea. Frankly, in a few months the back glass will be covered with algae anyway so its kind of a "why bother"
I don’t have to cover it and I honestly prefer not to, but I don’t want to stress the fish out, they see themselves with a reflection in their current tank and don’t get upset but I don’t want to transfer them to it and have them freak out

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have to cover it and I honestly prefer not to, but I don’t want to stress the fish out, they see themselves with a reflection in their current tank and don’t get upset but I don’t want to transfer them to it and have them freak out
I also saw that krylon fusion seems to be reef safe, should I use that? Or should I just leave it as is and let the algae do it’s thing?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally I wouldn't worry. They may flare up at the "Newcomers" for a day or so, but once they realize there is no threat, they will move on to more important things.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw that krylon fusion seems to be reef safe, should I use that? Or should I just leave it as is and let the algae do it’s thing?
krylon fusion is to paint the outside glass, I would not use it inside the tank.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Mikey’s gf
Suggest using plastic. I use cheap boot trays to make things like that. A modeling store that sell styrene would be another idea. Would not paint

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one worried he's gonna get stress issues from fish trying to attack their reflections?

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one worried he's gonna get stress issues from fish trying to attack their reflections?
That’s what I was scared of so I didn’t know if I should cover it. Currently I just have a pair of clowns in my other tank.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your ambient lighting is pretty bright all the time, the inside glass always becomes a mirror.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back