Missing Clown Found In Sump After 2 Weeks

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

A clown went missing 2 weeks ago, presumed dead. My girlfriend discovered him in the sump trapped in the rocks after 2 weeks. How is he still alive? How did he get in the sump? I moved him to the tank and he is doing well.

I am worried that other "dead" fish may have found their way to the sump and died without us noticing.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

A clown went missing 2 weeks ago, presumed dead. My girlfriend discovered him in the sump trapped in the rocks after 2 weeks. How is he still alive? How did he get in the sump? I moved him to the tank and he is doing well.
There's prob ampipods and little pieces of food that it was able to find

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my clowns have jumped into my overflow in the last couple of months.... only fish to do so in this tank.. and I have known jumpers in the tank (wrasses, firefish). They haven't made it down to the sump yet, but extremely annoying taking my overflow apart to get them out lol

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my clowns have jumped into my overflow in the last couple of months.... only fish to do so in this tank.. and I have known jumpers in the tank (wrasses, firefish). They haven't made it down to the sump yet, but extremely annoying taking my overflow apart to get them out lol
How do you know they're in there?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am worried that other "dead" fish may have found their way to the sump and died without us noticing.
Overflow strainers would help prevent fish from entering the sump.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You look for them. Before the 120 sprung a leak I left the corner overflow glass clear so I could see in it. I found my clown in the overflow.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are unique in the jumping world because they jump but they don't jump very high, so most of the time they end up in overflows instead of on the floor. I've had 3 different clowns jump into my overflow some more than once and no other fish.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sleep in the top corner of the tank next to the overflow. So I'm assuming they get spooked at night by something and jump. If they aren't in their corner when I get up in the morning, I just check the overflow box. I also have a screen on the tank.... doesn't help the case, they just end up in the box instead of the floor

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just this past Friday I had a fish jump... into the acclimation box.

It was the fish I was trying to catch too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back