Mitras Moonlight schedule

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have a good moonlight schedule they are using ? I’ve read that red is one of the more dominant colors in moonlight ? Not sure. Just seeing what’s being used out there !

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still struggling with moonlight setup. Wish I could be more help...

I have 2% on UV channel from 11pm to 4am
Then 0% - 100% on moon settings.

Moon is less than half right now and wow is it bright... So going to lower 2% to 1% and see how that does and then set the moon settings to a smaller range 30% - 100% or something. So that there is less variance but still some through the month.

OP
OP
Cali9dub

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You would think they would have something explaining the feature. I would assume they would have made it somewhat based on reality, but it sure doesn’t appear that way.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gael responded to me with a screenshot in my other thread...

Yes - this feature is extremely poorly explained and numerous people have begged for a detailed explanation. Beats me why this is such an enigma.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Not sure why there so much confusion around this feature. This is explained in detail in the LX7 Programming Manual, pages 9 and 10 to be exact. You will also find this on page 24 and 25 in the P4 Programming Manual. If one reads this, it will give a better understanding of the logic behind this feature and how "brightness" is determined.

The brightness of the moon phase does not stay the same everyday. The LX7 or ProfiLux mimics the natural behavior as closely as possible. Expecting the same brightness everyday is not natural and defeats the purpose of the feature.

1. Choose the channels which you want affected by the moon phase
2. Go to the Simulation settings
3. Set the min / max brightness and specify the time for when this feature shall go into effect
4. Let the LX7 or ProfiLux do the rest

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Not sure why there so much confusion around this feature. This is explained in detail in the LX7 Programming Manual, pages 9 and 10 to be exact. You will also find this on page 24 and 25 in the P4 Programming Manual. If one reads this, it will give a better understanding of the logic behind this feature and how "brightness" is determined.

The brightness of the moon phase does not stay the same everyday. The LX7 or ProfiLux mimics the natural behavior as closely as possible. Expecting the same brightness everyday is not natural and defeats the purpose of the feature.

1. Choose the channels which you want affected by the moon phase
2. Go to the Simulation settings
3. Set the min / max brightness and specify the time for when this feature shall go into effect
4. Let the LX7 or ProfiLux do the rest

Thanks for the update Vinny - I think we all understand that the simulation is to vary the brightness of the moon following the natural lunar cycle.

I think people are struggling to get it to work as expected though. I don't think it works as outlined above without also scheduling (in composer or multichannel setup) the channel(s) to be on during the moon phase hours that are set in the simulation tab.

Some people (@Lasse for example) are setting the schedule to run 425nm at 100% from (example) 11pm - 4am
and then setting simulation to 0% to 2% from 11pm - 4am and enabling moon phase on that 425 channel.

Other people (@Gaël for examaple) are setting their 425nm to run a 2% from (example) 11pm - 4am and then setting the simulation to 0% to 100% from 11pm - 4am and enabling moon phase on that 425 channel.

It appears that one way or the other, the schedule has to be manually set for the moon phase channels, as well as it being set in the simulation tab.

I could be wrong - I gave up after fiddling with it a bit and meant to come back to it when I have more time.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is how it's intended to work. You include the moon phase schedule in your Light Composer or Multi-ch schedule, then adjust the actual moonlight settings to it affect the schedule during the times its supposed to.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is how it's intended to work. You include the moon phase schedule in your Light Composer or Multi-ch schedule, then adjust the actual moonlight settings to it affect the schedule during the times its supposed to.
So the difference between @Gaël and @Lasse is semantic - and only differs in which side of the equation is heavier and the possiblity of a non smooth transition to moon in the case of Lasse's setup if the timing is not just just right.

Moon Brightness *Illumination Curve Brightness

Lasse
0% to 2% * 100% = 0% at new moon to 2% at full moon

vs
Gael
0% to 100% * 2% =0% at new moon to2% at full moon

Thank you for the clarification.

OP
OP
Cali9dub

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still seems either too bright or not on at all. Will the leds illuminate if set at 1% ? Or at what percentage will they start to illuminate in conjunction with the moon setting?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back