DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5/8/2017 - Day 365 - ONE YEAR OLD!

Woo-hoo - made it without any major problems. A few unfortunate events with various fish and more coral than I care to think about, but each one taught me something; something I likely needed to know to get as far as I have and will surely need in the future.
I don't really have any great insight to post - it's been a long day of work and "honey-do's". I did manage to snap some pictures, however! I would have preferred to get them mid-day to get the really good extension, but - alas - such was not to be. Ah well; they'll do to document progress, I suppose...

First up; a full cabinet shot. Hey @jsker - still got the baby picture above the tank!
CAB_20170508.jpg

Full Tank Shot (now with cleaner sand):
FTS_20170508.jpg

Some things of note:
- Both clowns are still alive and doing well. They have lived in the zoa garden (among the longer polyps), but now prefer the duncan forest under the arch.
- There's a little pink dot in the lower middle of Star Destroyer Point (on the right). That's one of my original corals - a pink gonni. It wins the award for The Coral That Can Hang On The Longest. It never opens, yet also (seemingly) refuses to die. One of these days I'll figure out how to make it happy...
- Grazer on the left has solidly entered "Snail Time". This happens every night I fill them (which I make sure to do in the AM most days). By night, the snails move in and crawl over each other to get at the leftovers. Seen here are some of the larger specimens in the tank - all of which are from that second (major) round that actually survived.

Left side:
LFT_20170508.jpg

That purple cespitularia started off as a wee tiny thing. I've already chopped it back once to keep it contained on that rock in the corner, too!

Right side:
RT_20170508.jpg

So glad the rock nems are doing well. I've killed numerous BTAs and won't get any more until I have the time to sort out why...

So that's where it's at. I'm fighting with a hair algae infestation currently. I pulled out about a golfball during the pre-anniversary cleaning, yet there's still more. I would have gotten more out, but Peek-a-Go (the blenny) bit me when I tried to clean it off his home. I left that patch alone... Not really sure what to do about it, to be honest. I've pulled it out a few times now, yet it seems to come back stronger and in more places. So I suspect that while - yes - I'm removing some; I'm also distributing little pieces of it around the tank. I've got the macro down below to try and "outgrow" it, but the macro is not really doing well (I suspect my lights aren't what is needed.. sigh). I could try blacking out the tank, I suppose, but am concerned that a fair number of my corals are on the edge of survival as it is...

Wife has approved the chiller purchase, on the condition that I don't buy any more corals. I'm just going to assume she means "at the same time". I'm sure that's what she meant... My plan is to pick up a chiller during the next BRS group buy (unless there's not one in May, then I'll just order it soon). I'm not really looking forward to having an extra thing outside the cabinet (especially with a baby who now crawls!), but it's better that than I continue with an overly warm tank...

I guess that's about it for now. I'm going to try to get into some kind of thread update cadence; keeping this up-to-date really drives me to keep the tank clean and give it some (more) attention. I've got a Triton test that's been received, so hopefully my next update will include those results! If not, I'll find something to blabber on about, I'm sure. Thanks for following along and being involved!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, That is such a great picture, nice work with the tank and think what the system will look like in another year.

The things that impress me the most, you have a beer tapper in the kitchen;):D oh, the clean scape

How do you like the new lights compared to the LED?

My I suggest getting a cabinet like this link putting a top on it, vent the cabinet for the chiller.

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5/11/2017 - Day 368 - Triton Test #1

Got results back from my first Triton test. I must admit; I'm pleasantly surprised by the result. I was expecting things to be FAR more out of kilter than they actually are...
upload_2017-5-11_11-52-32.png

I'm still trying to process all the info to determine what is important and what is not... Thoughts and opinions welcome!

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everythings looking really good. I dont see anything on that Triton test that would be of concern. Some people would get nerved by the Iodine number and dose to keep that number up from where you are at, but I dont think its mandatory. I would assume the Li number is from your salt, so again, nothing to get flustered about there. Not sure about Zn - I dont know anything about levels in sea water and if they have or can have impact to aquatic life.

As far as the hair algae goes - Ive had luck with getting rid of isolated patches by filling a disposable pipette or syringe with hydrogen perioxide and blasting the patch directly with it. Tends to break up after a treatment or two in a row of that. I wouldnt do it if its on/near corals, but otherwise it should be safe to do.

ezell_tonya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5/8/2017 - Day 365 - ONE YEAR OLD!

Woo-hoo - made it without any major problems. A few unfortunate events with various fish and more coral than I care to think about, but each one taught me something; something I likely needed to know to get as far as I have and will surely need in the future.
I don't really have any great insight to post - it's been a long day of work and "honey-do's". I did manage to snap some pictures, however! I would have preferred to get them mid-day to get the really good extension, but - alas - such was not to be. Ah well; they'll do to document progress, I suppose...

First up; a full cabinet shot. Hey @jsker - still got the baby picture above the tank!
CAB_20170508.jpg

Full Tank Shot (now with cleaner sand):
FTS_20170508.jpg

Some things of note:
- Both clowns are still alive and doing well. They have lived in the zoa garden (among the longer polyps), but now prefer the duncan forest under the arch.
- There's a little pink dot in the lower middle of Star Destroyer Point (on the right). That's one of my original corals - a pink gonni. It wins the award for The Coral That Can Hang On The Longest. It never opens, yet also (seemingly) refuses to die. One of these days I'll figure out how to make it happy...
- Grazer on the left has solidly entered "Snail Time". This happens every night I fill them (which I make sure to do in the AM most days). By night, the snails move in and crawl over each other to get at the leftovers. Seen here are some of the larger specimens in the tank - all of which are from that second (major) round that actually survived.

Left side:
LFT_20170508.jpg

That purple cespitularia started off as a wee tiny thing. I've already chopped it back once to keep it contained on that rock in the corner, too!

Right side:
RT_20170508.jpg

So glad the rock nems are doing well. I've killed numerous BTAs and won't get any more until I have the time to sort out why...

So that's where it's at. I'm fighting with a hair algae infestation currently. I pulled out about a golfball during the pre-anniversary cleaning, yet there's still more. I would have gotten more out, but Peek-a-Go (the blenny) bit me when I tried to clean it off his home. I left that patch alone... Not really sure what to do about it, to be honest. I've pulled it out a few times now, yet it seems to come back stronger and in more places. So I suspect that while - yes - I'm removing some; I'm also distributing little pieces of it around the tank. I've got the macro down below to try and "outgrow" it, but the macro is not really doing well (I suspect my lights aren't what is needed.. sigh). I could try blacking out the tank, I suppose, but am concerned that a fair number of my corals are on the edge of survival as it is...

Wife has approved the chiller purchase, on the condition that I don't buy any more corals. I'm just going to assume she means "at the same time". I'm sure that's what she meant... My plan is to pick up a chiller during the next BRS group buy (unless there's not one in May, then I'll just order it soon). I'm not really looking forward to having an extra thing outside the cabinet (especially with a baby who now crawls!), but it's better that than I continue with an overly warm tank...

I guess that's about it for now. I'm going to try to get into some kind of thread update cadence; keeping this up-to-date really drives me to keep the tank clean and give it some (more) attention. I've got a Triton test that's been received, so hopefully my next update will include those results! If not, I'll find something to blabber on about, I'm sure. Thanks for following along and being involved!

Congrats on tanks bday! My tank's 1st bday will be in Aug. I've absolutely enjoyed reading your thread. Even the stuff that could be boring to me about the mechanics, but your method of writing helped me get through it. Sometimes I wanted to skip to the end and I even tried to do so sometimes but I was afraid I would miss something so I didn't. I love the commentary about your wife. She sounds awesome! Reading about your trials have helped me. Thank you for sharing. "Wife has approved the chiller purchase, on the condition that I don't buy any more corals. I'm just going to assume she means ". Lol!!!!! This is the best. I get the same looks and comments from my husband but he is equally great and supports me and my spending on the tank :)

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've absolutely enjoyed reading your thread.
Aww; thanks! Your tank looks great as well! I'm SO jealous of your BTA's and clams - two things that seem to give me nothing but grief, yet I refuse to completely give up on (even if I have for now in favour of a chiller).

I love the commentary about your wife. She sounds awesome!
I'm sure I don't give her even a fraction of the credit she deserves. She's my own personal hero and I can only hope to be for her half of what she is for me. :)

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoyed reading through your first year of reefing!! It's very apparent when someone uses these forums and really digs deep to get the best understanding possible to keep a happy, healthy reef. You've absorbed enough knowledge in 365 days that took most of us 30 years to master! Good stuff! Also, very well written. You had me hooked from the first paragraph :) Reef on! Beautiful tank, thank you for sharing it!!

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, one other thing. Don't sweat little outbreaks of nuisance algae or cyano. The tank is still maturing, it's to be expected. Add more hermits and maybe a few turbos and voila. They should at least keep it in check. GHA isn't too bad of an issue really, just keep doing what you're doing and keep nutrients in check and be glad you don't have bryopsis or bubble algae. :)

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef on! Beautiful tank, thank you for sharing it!!
Cheers Doug! Really appreciate the notice and the praise. It's true that this forum has likely been the only thing that's allowed me to make it through the first year. I fully expect it to continue to get me through the next 30 as well.

Don't sweat little outbreaks of nuisance algae or cyano.
Too right. I set out to grow saltwater things in a glass box. If the best I can grow is green things that undulate in the flow hypnotically, well - so be it. I mostly dive the Pacific and that's all I really see down there anyways... ;-)

be glad you don't have bryopsis or bubble algae.
Had bubble. Got some emeralds and it's since gone away; hopefully never to return. If it does, I know where to find them emerald crabs at.
I think what I'm fighting now may be bryopsis, actually. I've not made a concentrated effort to identify it, tbh. Next time I pull some out, I'll get some pics of it. I've got a hoard of snails and hermits already; a few of the latter of which have parked themselves near the heavy patches and seem content to munch on the verge.

Reeflogic