1   0   0
Nice job!

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/21/2016 - Day 227 - Rouge Plans and Tank Bling

It's amazing how a second child really makes keeping up with everything so much harder... One of the things that I just haven't seem to had time for is writing up that cut list... And I told myself that I wouldn't update my thread without that bit of info. Net result: no update for 22 days. :-\
Well; today I decided to just get it done. (It's the holiday's, so people will understand if I don't get my actual work done, right?) My wife is also working hard to keep the children from tearing up the place as-is, so I'm not about to ask her to spend her ever-valuable time doing a Sketch-up drawing of my "fish drawer" (though, to be honest, she would likely enjoy the effort if she actually had the time, so it's still not out of the realm of possible...). So you all will just have to suffer through with my photo-based "plans". Here you go:
cabinet.jpg

I didn't include the measurements for the power switch cut-out. I figure if you need one of those (and have the tools to make the cut-out), you can just use the device as a template - which is what I did, after all. The top section's height was based entirely on the need to fit my dosing pumps in there. So if you are using the Jebao pumps, it should work for you. If not, then you can alter the height accordingly (adjust the 3.5" measure on parts F and G). There's about 2.5" of clearance above the top (where my Hanna and refractometer boxes are sitting), so as long as you don't go more than that, you should be fine. If you do need more than that for some reason, then you'll need to reduce the riser height (reduce the 19.25" measure on part D).
I did not include location measurements for the rail slides. That's because I would not use the ones I have; I can already tell they will not work long-term. I "had to" guess at the overall weight and such of the final product and it came out heavier than I expected, which actually puts it over the recommended weight limit of those slides. And those are the most sturdy ones they make of that type that I could find... Were I to build this again (I'm not going to), I would look for an undermount style of slide (something like this; but not these - they aren't rated high enough and are too long to boot - 18" slides are needed). Obviously if you change the slides used, you change the mounting location of everything...
I also did not provide door-mount measurements for the same reason. If you change the location of the drawer, the door mounting location also needs must change. I made a bunch of measurements (height, side offset, gap allowance, etc.) before mounting mine on (using pocket screws from the bottom base (C) and top base (E). I was careful to get everything as square as I could, but in the end still had to adjust the position of the other two doors to get everything lined up. It goes without saying, I feel, that all the door mount hardware had been removed before the door front was mounted.
Only thing I did different from the plans was that I tried to use 3x top side braces (G) - one on the front (pictured), one on the back (not pictured, but marked as (G) in approx. location), and one in between the two pumps. I ended up removing the middle one as it didn't leave enough room for both my pumps. In the third picture, you can still see the little nub that remains from that effort (something I'll cut off someday). OH! I forgot to mention in the "Cut List" above that part G has a cutout - 3/4" x 3 1/4" (creates a 3/4" x 3/4" overhang). Either that, or reduce it's height to 2 1/2").
So there you go (sort of...). Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Oh; just to make sure it's clear: the back of the top is mostly open to allow all the power cables and dosing lines to exit, in addition to allowing a little airflow.

With all the holiday decorations out of the attic and in the garage, I've actually been able to move the new canopy into an area where I can work on it easier. Which I've been doing. Slowly. Usually at night. And by "night" I mean 1am when everyone else is asleep. But hey - progress has been made! It's still not hung up, but it's pretty darn tootin' close. Here are some current pics:

I've managed to get all the T5 wiring in place and have done the bulb burn-in. 50hrs takes a while to do when I only want to run it when the solar is paying for the electricity... Also; this is painted to match the room's trim - which is pretty close to both the tank stand and the cabinets that are all throughout the room.
IMG_5005.JPG

I pulled down one of my three Radions and sorted out a way to mount it:
IMG_3434.JPG

IMG_8128.JPG

I still need to solder the wire loops to ensure that they won't slip out. The screws do a good job of trapping the wire, but I don't want these to fall into the tank (obviously). I may also dip the ends in plastic to help keep them in one piece.
The two cables do a pretty good job of holding the light in place, but allow a little bit of wiggle room so that I don't have to get them perfect.

For mounting this thing to the wall, my plan is to use three hinges attached to studs on the back side (I left a small gap to allow for this) and two (or more...) of the current Radion wire hangers for the front corners. That should get me something that is stable and appears to "float" above the tank. I'm still not sure what height to put it above the tank, but am thinking around 12" - which should give me enough room for general maintenance without having to lift it up. It's not overly heavy, really, but the less I have to move it, the better. I'm not at all concerned with being able to get enough light on the tank - I'm only running the LED's at max 40% right now, so it's mostly an aesthetic choice.
All the wires you see in the above pic (T5 power line, dimming cables, and 3x Radion power lines) will pass into the wall and down behind the cabinet (into the drawer side).
Once it's all wired up, I'll have to have a good sit-down with my APEX and Radions and figure out how to get all the lighting worked out...

Update on the Live Things:
All my DT fish are doing well. The coral-banded shrimp molted again. Everyone else is just swimming about; eating when fed and sleeping at night. I enjoy watching them for sure.
Only the Yellow and Yellow-Eye Kole have survived in the QT. They are through the TTM period and are now just under observation for another day or two before getting added in. We leave for vacation next week, so I want to give them at least a few days to settle in before we leave and a house-sitter is responsible for feeding them, etc. I've got no concerns about them; both are eating frozen foods well, swimming about strong, and show no signs of any disease.
Coral are doing well enough. Most of my SPS Are still more brown than anything else, so I still have some work to do. I've not done as good a job as cleaning as I would like, so my params are a little off-kilter. Which is making the LPS happy, so at least there's that. All-in-all, things are going well enough in the coral department.
Oddly; my chaeto all died over the course of a week. I'm not totally sure why, to be honest, but I'm pretty sure it's related to my reduction in maintenance. My params are under control (off-kilter, but stable), however, so I'm not in any big rush to replace it. I still run my fuge light at night, which I may not actually need to be doing, but I've not wanted to fiddle much with it...
Book marking, thanks @DLHDesign and thank your wife too. Happy Holidays

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/29/2016 - Day 235 - Just Hangin' Out

Well THAT was a bit more involved than I hoped it would be, but the new canopy is up. Here's the end product (sans wall decor - which will be returned when the child is not sleeping on the other side of the wall):
IMG_4522.JPG

I was a bit disheartened that my dimensions were slightly off. Despite measuring three times pre-project and twice before every cut, the canopy is still 1/4" shorter than the tank. No effect on light at all, but the first thing my wife said when it was still being hung was, "Did you mean to make it shorter?" Yes. Yes I did. No, I don't remember why. Let's move on now, m'kay?

So after removing the remaining two Radions from above the tank, I mounted them to the frame. I re-mounted the existing one the same way as the two new ones, which ended up being via the wire system. But instead of soldering the wires together as I discussed earlier, I ended up going the much easier route of crimping on a ferrule for each loop. I had to thread the wire through the mount points before the second loop was made, so if I ever do have to remove a light, I also have to cut the wire. Meh - I've no plans to remove them any time soon.
Here is the final wiring inside the canopy. It's hard to see the ferrules in the pic, but you can just catch a glimpse in each inner corner.
IMG_4263.JPG

The biggest challenge was actually getting this thing hung up. When I planned this all out, I figured I'd attach three hinges to the wall, then attach the canopy to the hinges. Finish it up with a few wires to hang the front and I'm asleep before midnight. Here I've done that stuff according to plan (also cutting out a wire drop hole for power and dimming cable. All is going according to plan at this point:
IMG_7555.JPG

But - hey! - notice that beam there at the top edge of the picture? Yeah; once you set a 2ft+ box next to those hinges, they won't open very much before the box hits the beam. They won't open enough, in fact, to actually attach said box - no screwdriver that would work is that short. So after discussing several options with the wife, she has the brilliant idea to use bolts. BOLTS! That'll work. Off to Lowe's (and to pick up the dog from day care). I end up getting some 1" bolts and some washers and nuts to go with 'em and I'm back in business.

Then I run into the next snag. You remember that wire drop hole I cut into the wall? Good stuff that hole; hides wires great. Only problem is, the wall plate stands out about 1/4" from the wall. Which just so happens to be the exact depth that I allowed for wires behind the canopy. Which means that I don't have room to have the wires actually enter into the wire drop hole. <grrr> The solution isn't hard, though; I just need to use a few nuts on each bolt to get the canopy to stand off a bit more from the wall. Only; my bolts are 1" long. And the wood is 3/4" thick. And I've already got a 1/4" gap. **sigh** Back to Lowe's. This time I get some 2" stainless bolts, nuts, and washers. Much better!

Next problem; how to get the holes drilled in the right spots in the canopy? Ugh... Long story short; I ended up using a piece of scrap board the same length of the canopy to transcribe the holes from the (mounted) hinges to the canopy. This was a bit nerve-racking, but it came off without a hitch. I got the holes drilled and they fit onto the "pegs" the first try. A bit of socket and wrench work, and the canopy was half-way mounted. Woot! I returned two of the wire hangers for the Radions and used them to help hold up the front. And because they are adjustable, I can also use them to hold the canopy open. Bonus!

Final challenge (of the night) was to get the wires run. The Radion power lines were easy - dropped them in and fished them out the bottom. The dimmer line (2 strands from a cat-6 cable) was taped to the end of the 12-2 Romex. I then spent the next hour trying to thread the stiff Romex wire (with taped dimmer line) down into the cable drop. I never got it. It just fought me for even the first four inches of wire. Normally, I'd get my wire hook and fish it from the bottom. But that often takes two people (one to feed, one to pull) and it was just me at this point. So I ditched that idea and pulled out an extra power cord, cut off both ends, and used that to provide power to the T5's instead. MUCH easier, even if I did have to re-add a plug and splice it into the existing 12-2 that's running to both sets of T5's...

Here's the amount of room I had to work with:
IMG_5012.JPG

And the destination (which is about 5ft directly below the inlet)
IMG_4787.JPG

As you can see, I also had to remove the pull-out drawer. That effort took a good hour as well - mostly in getting it all back together with the new addition to boot.

SO. Now I have 4x T5's and 3x Radion's above my tank. Woo-hoo! Sadly, the Apex programming I tried to do during the day in preparation did not work right. :-\ So tomorrow will have me fiddling with the programming to get them to dim properly. Once I've got that working, I'll have to sort out an acclimation process...

For now; too tired to think straight, let alone type any more word things...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man been there done that! You get it all planned out and then hit snag after snag! UGH!

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorted out the programming for the Apex today. Had a moment of nigh-panic when the Radions didn't connect on the first try, but they did on the second. Everything after that went rather smoothly...

I'll go ahead and list out all the relevant programming bits and bobs in an attachment, but I wanted to go over my key lighting goals:
1) T5's and Radions work in conjunction - ramping up and down "together".
2) Radions would provide moonlight and cover some spectrum in the day (still a WIP). T5's would be main daytime lights.
3) Make use of the Season Table for both. Which meant that I was starting from RussM's base.
4) Use minor weather patterns (I may remove these - not sure...).
5) Maintain a traveling sunrise/set (in my case; from right-to-left with a 10min delay between lights).
6) Ensure that the lights shut down if the temp spikes too much.

Because the lights in use are so different (both in variety and distance from the surface), I didn't really expect to be able to acclimate things easily. I've kept my initial Radion intensities a bit lower than I had them before and am using the T5's to supplement up (approximately). I've got the Seneye PAR meter, so at some point in the near future I may take some readings, but for now... I'm happy to have numbers I can tweak. :) In general, as time goes on I'll likely ramp down the Radions some and ramp up the T5's, but we'll see...

The lighting programming is in the attached TXT file.

Next up is to add in a "photo" switch - something I can toggle on when I'm looking to take a picture of something and off again to get back to whatever was happening before. It's another virtual outlet and a couple more profiles, perhaps. I'll sort that out when I'm ready to take some more pics... Soon. I should do that soon...

Attachments

• DLHDesign_20161229_APEX.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 225

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to hear you got the lighting sorted. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your very detailed posts. It has helped me tremendously in setting up my new reefer.

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your very detailed posts. It has helped me tremendously in setting up my new reefer.
Glad it could help! Obviously, I'm not adverse to writing long rambling posts... ;-) Be sure to start your own build thread - it's great for helping to stay engaged as you move through the process, if nothing else.

Excellent job sir!
Thank you!

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need to clean off some coralline algae. And that was about as much work as I expected it to be; which is to say: a lot...

Lights are off, so hard to really see the impact. I look forward to the morning...
IMG_4021.JPG

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent job on the canopy!! Any chance you can post a side profile pic of the canopy and tank?

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent job on the canopy!! Any chance you can post a side profile pic of the canopy and tank?
Thanks; appreciate it!

More pictures all around (I'm still working on the removal of the black backing; need to add cable runs and do some more clean-up).

Front:
IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

Note that for the above pic, I only tightened up one of the cables (the right). Were I to actually hold the canopy up for any length of time, I'd do both. But that's why it's not hanging level.

And side:
IMG_5890.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/23/2017 - Day 260 - Bio-load: Max (nearly)

Has it really been nearly a month since my last "official" update?!? Time to fix that...

First a FTS;
FTS_20170123.png

Clearly I still need to figure out how to take better pictures; this one is over-exposed and the reflections from the window on the other side of the room frustrate me to no end... But at least it's here, eh?

Coral Update:
The scape hasn't dramatically changed, but I've been adding small piles of rubble for acan's to grow out on. I also have picked up so much coral pieces that I had to move the galexia (one of my first pieces) to the back of the tank due to it's 4-6" stingers. It seems happy in it's new home, at any rate. The toadstool (slightly off-center to the right) has begun to really put on some growth and I expect that it will also soon make a move to it's "forever home" on the backside of the arch (behind the tail of the cardinal in the photo above, basically). From there, it will have plenty of room to grow up. My duncan farm (under the cardinal and clowns) has been doing well. I likely placed the 5 heads I bought too close together because they're starting to crowd each other as they grow out. Ah well; they'll sort it out, I'm sure. The hammer colonies are doing well, but I'm not seeing any new head development. I'm not sure, really, how quickly that should be happening, in fact.The xenia in the back grew out to cover part of the back wall, but then decided it was unhappy with the situation when I removed the tank backing. I'm okay with that - I took the opportunity of it's shrinkage to turn it's rock a bit more away from everything else so as to keep it isolated there. All my acans are mounted on said rubble and are nice and fat. The largest colony is the first, of course - the purple/green on the far right of the tank. My montis (both plating and branching) are doing well enough; I'm happy with their placements and am excited to be able to clearly see them grow out. I need a few more plating ones to complete my "design", but I'm in no rush to fill things in. The new plate coral (center-left) is beyond awesome. I didn't know that it would have such long tentacles, otherwise I would have gotten it much sooner! The new bubble and elegance (just right of center) arrived from @AquaSD already large enough to be stars of the tank, so they took over where the galexia was. The zoas are doing well enough - none of them have really become the carpet I envision them some day being, but neither are they shrinking. I'm not really able to count polyps any more, so I guess that's sigh enough of growth. The frogspawn are doing mostly well; one on the side of the rock seems to be struggling more (less light, I suspect), but isn't doing horrible. I may pull it off and relocate it more in front with the others... I've managed to pick up a BTA that seems to have settled in, which is nice. The other 3 BTA's I've added (small things) all slowly declined before their foot let go and they went on blow-about (to eventually die, I have assumed - else they are growing somewhere in the dark). This time, I got a larger specimen and it seems to have helped. The two rock news I have are doing good; one has moved about more and is half the size of the more stationary one, but the smaller has recently sidled up onto the same rock as the other, so I expect that they'll grow at the same rate now. But really, the top-billing on the tank has to go to the various birds nest clusters I have growing on the top of Star Destroyer Point. They pretty much all started as tiny little things no more than ~2" tall. All of them are now 5+" clusters that are healthy all the way through - even the one that had a magnet cleaner dropped on it. In fact, the branches that broke off from that drop have since become structures in their own right; the smallest piece I recovered was about 3mm and I had glued it to a frag as an experiment. It's now larger than the frag plug and shows no signs of slowing. The SPS in the tank are not really doing much. Some have died off to the point of total loss; some others are struggling to hang on. A few are growing, but were browned out. Since I installed the canopy and changed up the lights to use the AB+ profile, their colors are coming back. Still mostly brown, but there are hints of green and purple in there too. So I have hope that I'll find the balance needed to grow out the sticks that will make the upper layer of The Tunnel of Love. Just for kicks, I put my dendro frag in the gecko's eye socket. It's like a Where's Waldo; see if you can spot it...

Inverts
There are actually inverts of note now! Beyond the plethora of snails in the tank (I honestly have no idea how many any more - they've been breeding), there is also now a Rainbow Tile Starfish and an Ultra Maxima. I'm excited for both additions - the star because I didn't expect to ever have one and the maxima because that was one of the things I want most in my tank. Both are doing well - the star just wanders about, not bothering anything. The clam does... clam... things... It's pretty, I mean. :-\ I guess you're either a clam person or not; if you are I don't have to explain - if you're not, then I wouldn't be able to...

Da' Fishes
Okay; let's see if I can do this from memory... The fish in the DT are (roughly in order of addition):
  • Two ocellaris clowns - Merida and Marvin
  • Lawnmower Blenny - Peek-a-go
  • 3x Bartlett's Anthias - Moe, Moe, and Flo
  • 2x Banggai Cardinal - (both still to be named)
  • Flame Hawkfish - Statler
  • Coral Beauty - Hamachi
  • Bluestreak Wrasse - Scrat
  • Yellow Eye Kole - Bandit
  • Yellow Tang - Lemon
  • Naso Tang - (tbd still)
  • Blue Tang - Vinnie
We also used to have a Carpenter's Flasher wrasse named Peacock, but I finally found him today - on the floor behind the tank. :-( It's really not a surprise; he was a fish that seemed to want to do nothing but jump out of the water all day long. Even had I seen the jump, I couldn't have recovered him, so I don't really feel much guilt. SOME guilt, however - if I didn't already have an order in for a lid, I would have done so today. Once we get the lid in place, I'm sure that we'll look to add another wrasse or two as Peacock and Scrat are two that my wife enjoys watching. Happy wife; happy life.

Foliage
After my last batch of algae died off following perhaps a few too many doses of Vibrant, I've gone ahead and added another large ball into the fuge. I also picked up 4 mangroves and put them down in the sump. Over them I managed to rig up a Kessil 150W I got from a coworker who shut down their various tanks a few years ago. Unfortunately, the light dropped into the sump (not plugged in) while I was hanging it. :-\ I let it dry for a few days and it seemed to work initially. Yet when I check it now, the light is very dim - not even worth having on. I'll fiddle with it more later (take it apart, clean it, etc.) and see if I can restore it...
IMG_6384.JPG

I also recently added the CO2 scrubber to the inline of the skimmer. So, to recap that; I've got an outside line (with a carbon filter up front running through a CO2 scrubber into the air intake of the skimmer. That's about as clean as I can make the air being injected, I figure...

By The Numbers
I can't say that my parameters are anything to brag about, but they are stable. Which, all things considered, I guess I prefer. I'm starting to think up ways to "fix" them, but always remind myself that chasing numbers is a sure way to screw up the ones I have. So I keep on keeping on and make small and slow changes every so often (see: mangroves and macro in the fuge again). Here's where I was at Sunday night:
1.025 SG/34ppt (swing between 33.9 and 34.1 with the gravity-fed ATO)
79.2F (swing between 79.1F and 79.5F)
0.010ppm Ammonia
8.1 pH (normally swings between 7.8 and 8)
7.6 dKH
16ppm Nitrate
425ppm Calcium
1280ppm Magnesium
0.08ppm Phosphate
451 ORP​
I'm slowly trying to bring my temp down to about 78F. I was okay at 80F, but I think the tank will do better with just a bit more oxygen and lowering the temp a bit seems a good way to go about that given that I'm running a bit high anyways. The ammonia doesn't bother me; I had just changed out my filter socks and those levels are normal pre-filter change. I sometimes use that number - which comes from the Seneye - to tell me when to change out the socks as I don't always hear the water fall noise inside the sump. I'd like to bring my pH up a bit (8.1 is abnormally high - likely due to the water change?), but that's the whole "don't chase the numbers" thing I get into... Nitrates and Phosphate are higher than I want; and those numbers were lower than I've had for the past few weeks. That's what spawned the addition of the chaeto and mangroves, actually. Calcium and Magnesium are stable with my dosing - dialed those in, until stuff starts to grow out more, at least. My ORP was hovering just above 500 (causing constant alerts from the Apex - annoying), but I cleaned it with some vinegar and that seems to have brought it back to a reasonable level. I'll dig out my calibration solution one of these days, but for now I'm content with the line it's drawing.

Apex
über alles

At this point, the Apex is pretty hands-off. I ran the final cable through the wall outlets to power the Kindle Fire and Velcro-ed it to the edge of the canopy. It's easy to access, but not an eyesore. If I had it to do again, I would have routed out an inset for it to get it flush, but I'm not going to take the canopy down for that nor use a power tool of that nature over the tank.
The main thing I've been tweaking on is the lighting programming. I've attached all the relevant programming for any interested, but the gist is that it's an 8hr AB+ profile on the Radions at 30% with the T5s at 20% with an overlapping 6hr. Both the Radions and T5s have a 1hr ramp up and down outside of those durations (eg; 0-20-0 on the T5s takes 8hrs total). There is some weather in there at two steps; clouds and storms. The three Radions are each separated by 10min; creating a sort of sunrise/set effect. I also have an override for "photo mode", but I don't really know what settings to use for that yet - it currently uses the same settings as "daytime", but I think more white would be good instead...
I originally was attempting to make use of the season table, but I found that it was too difficult to set up and even harder to really predict when things would change. The result was that I had lights on when they should have been off and off when they should have been on. I also have a difficult time making sure that I had the tank fed before "sunset". In the end, I ripped out all that stuff and now just use the above times.

Fin
All-in-all, I'm quite happy with the tank. I spend a bit of each day just staring at all the life in the tank. It's not quite so magnificent as I hope it some day will be, but I'm at least to the point that I can see in my imagination how it will take shape. I see this picture clearly enough, now, that I'm already starting to think about what the next tank will look like... (The wife says no more tanks. Yeah; m'kay... for now...)

Attachments

• DLHDesign_APEX_ 20170124.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 192
OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2/22/17 - Day 290 - It's all a numbers game

Ha! Under a month this time. #winning :-\

I decided a while back that I wouldn't "chase a number" with my tank, but I still like to know where I'm at, of course. One of these days, I'll put out the money to get a Triton test done (it's not like it's all that expensive, relatively speaking). But until then (or in addition to that, I suppose), I've been building up quite the stock of test kits. My latest addition is the Red Sea Reef Colors Pro kit. This added iodine, iron, and potassium to my test suite. I sometimes run individual tests on a rotating basis, but last night I ran the full gambit. Here's where it's all at, along with the source of the data:

Salinity - 1.026SG (Refractometer)
Salt - 34ppt (Apex)
pH - 7.81 (Apex)
Temp (sump) - 79F (Apex)
Alkalinity - 7.7dKH (Hanna)
Calcium - 490ppm (Red Sea)
Magnesium - 1300ppm (Red Sea)
Ammonia - 0.012ppm (SenEye)
Nitrite - 0ppm (API)
Nitrate - 8.00ppm (Red Sea)
Phosphate - 0.05ppm (Hanna)
Phosphorus - 13ppb (Hanna)
ORP - 467mv (Apex)
Iron - 0ppm (Red Sea)
Iodine - 0.06ppm (Red Sea)
Potassium - 395ppm (Red Sea)

The bolded numbers are ones that show up outside my desired tolerance levels (I use Aquarimate, which allows you to enter and track desired ranges). Yet while those show up in my app as "alarm red", none of them are really anything that I'm concerned about. If anything, the ones that I'd like to change the most are temperature (down to ~78F) and Alk (up to 8-9+dKH).
I've been logging my heaters on the Apex and they've not come on in weeks, so the current temp is a result of ambient air temp and heat generated by gear. We keep our house at 74F. I've tried to drop us to 72F and was able to get the tank temps down by a degree as a result, but the wife (and myself, to be honest) was a bit more cold than desired. I'm on the receiving end of The Look enough as it is with this tank; telling her she has to be a bit cold because of the tank just isn't possible. I've got a fan blowing onto the refugium (which is the only place I could mount it) and that's helped drop it from ~79.5F to ~79F. (These temps are all daily averages; it's got some swing as the room temp raises and falls around it.) I'm not really sure what else I can do to get that extra point that wouldn't impact something else (eg; turning off pumps, etc.), so I think I'm just going to settle with the ~79F. It's not like 79F is a bad temperature, after all...
The Alk I could raise up by increasing my dosing, I suppose. I've been slow to go that route, however, as I think another source of my "problem" is the salt that I use - which is currently the Kent Marine Reef Salt brand. In testing the salt water used in my water change last night, the dKH was a paltry 5.0. Perhaps because the water had been mixing for a few weeks? I'm not sure, but this is not the first time I've run into this with Kent. I've got about half a bucket left, after which I'll be switching. I'm looking at the HW-Marinemix as a replacement, though I've also considered the Read Sea Coral Pro. Both are about the same price per-gallon, I'm just not sure that I want to use a salt mix that gets around 12dKH when mixed. The 9dKH of HW seems like a more forgiving number. Not to mention; the boxes that HW comes in will be easier to dispose of than the buckets of the Coral Pro (I already have a half dozen Kent buckets around the garage; no need for more).

I've tested iron twice now (the kit is fairly new), but both tests were clearly at the 0ppm level. I'm not totally convinced that I'm not just messing up the test procedure yet, but I'm getting pretty good at the complexities of those tests. I figure one more test and if that comes up 0ppm, then I'm pretty sure that I'm getting a true reading. I'm dosing in the KZ Coral System, but none of those seem to include iron that I can find? So it looks like this is a gap that they expect you to fill with a specific additive - their Iron Concentrate, I would presume... **sigh** I think I'm beginning to understand a bit more about this "tiny blue bottles" schtick. There's also the "automatic elements" option, but I would have to put 10 of those cubes into my sump. That may be easier than daily doses of the concentrate, however... Anyone have any thoughts on dosing iron? Is that something I should even bother doing, or just leave it as-is until I switch salt and then see where I'm at? Increasing coloration - especially in SPS - is my current focus. The recently added T5's (or else the LED profile changes) have helped, but more needs doing, I feel.

Numbers aside, the tank seems to be doing well enough. In terms of fish, there are only two of concern;
The smaller Bangaii Cardinalfish (we ended up with 2 males, sadly) has gotten chased about so much by the larger than it's now pretty much taken up residence in the back corner under a rock. I have to target feed the area just to be sure he gets adequate food. Does not seem happy at all. I tried to catch him the other day using a net with the intent to take him to an LFS for rehoming, but was not able to. Which worked out okay; we didn't have time to go to the LFS anyways. Once of these days soon, I'll actually get out the trap I've got and get him that way.
The other fish that seems under duress is the smallest of the three Bartlett's Anthias. The largest is a clear male, of course, and is the aggressor between the three. He'll stay close to the larger female, though he pushes her around a bit as well. The smaller female, however, gets chased off by either - and sometimes both - if she gets close. The larger two swim about the tank while the small female pretty much just hangs out under the arch (rather like the hawkfish). I don't think she's as bad off as the Cardinal - she still eats with everyone else when I broadcast feed the middle of the tank - but I am looking to re-home her as well if I can catch her using the trap (I won't even bother trying the net with her).
If I can catch them both, I'll do so. The wife enjoys wrasse in the tank, so I'll likely look to swap the two of them for something she enjoys. I like wrasses as well, but I like all fishes.

Equipment-wise, only minor changes so far. I ordered a custom lid, but it doesn't fit right, so I've asked the vendor to send me some replacement mesh and spline. I'll try and self-repair (hoping that some looser mesh will allow it to fit), but if that doesn't work I'll ship the lid back and have them fix the issue.
I swapped out the "white" LED I had over the fuge with an LED grow-light last night. I'm hoping that the grow light will help the chaeto stay around; it seems to be struggling again. It's helped to bring my nitrates down (from 16ppm to the 8ppm above), so I'm pretty sure it's worth having. The grow light should also, I hope, help the mangroves - three of which have settled in and are doing okay, but the fourth seems to be dying. Other than those two, not much has changed. I've cleaned one of my gyres (removed, soaked in vinegar, dried, replaced) and am looking to do the other one soon. I've swapped out the CO2 scrubbing material that is inline for my skimmer (I think I mentioned that I added that, didn't I?); seems like it lasted a few weeks. It's the color-changing variety and I found that mixing it up a bit helped to expose new (uncolored) surfaces, which seemed to extend it's life a bit. I'm curious what an inline CO2 meter would tell me about the pre- and post-scrubbed air... A (very) quick search didn't turn anything up on the market; odd that - I'll have to see what I could cobble together if, indeed, nothing actually exists...

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking good!

I think you've answered at least one of your questions based on your testing results. Typically, macroalgaes (most algaes actually) will need some form of iron in order to thrive. The depletion of iron in your tank to a miniscule level is likely what has caused the chaeto to crash. Thats why some "systems" like Triton require a large algae bed, because their additives contain a high level of iron, and without it, you will see an increase in nuisance algae. There are lots of expensive additives out there for dosing iron, but resident chemist @Randy Holmes-Farley doses iron using Iron tablets that are obtained rather inexpensively (below). That might allow you to rebound a bit the algae department, without resorting to all kinds of $50 a bottle chemicals. Or you can just throw a hammer in the tank ;)

Spring for the Triton test - its worth it. I would run all of my tests the same day that I pull the water samples for the testing, so you can compare the relative accuracy of the test kits with what the ICP analysis tells you. Its a great reference tool. In a case like this, you might find that there's a lack of Potassium or something else that the test kits are showing. I advocate the testing at least a couple of times in a year or so to give you a good baseline of things.

As for the salt - I would find something that has labeled parameters that are close to what you are shooting for in your tank. Ive been using IO purple box for a long time, but a recent lecture I attended preached to remove the crazy adjustments out of your life by just focusing on stability in all aspect of the tank. Rather than have crazy parameter swings associated with water changes, get a mix thats close to your ideal parameters. Its one less variable. I think Im going to start using Red Sea Blue bucket, as it mixes at 7.2ish which is ideal for a ZeoVit system like mine, rather than the 8-9 dKH that my IO normally mixes at. Just some food for thought.

If the anthias is still eating, then she'll likely be ok. My trio did that often, and they lived like that for two years before an infection wiped them all out. That said, similar shaped fish can help alleviate the stress. My carberryi anthias (two of them) have similar body shapes to the barletts and they would have the singled out female swim with them often, and the male would leave her alone during that time.

Capture.PNG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back